Question about IceNetwork.com | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Question about IceNetwork.com

Manitou

Medalist
Try the Photon browser. It works on the iPhone (it is a workaround for flash). The quality is degraded somewhat tho. I have also heard that the Puffin browser works but have no personal experience.

I tried Photon. It plays videos, but the quality is bad and there is no sound.
So far the best options to watch IN on TV is either connect PC laptop to TV via HDMI and play from laptop, or airplay from my Mac computer to Apple TV, as they are on the same LAN network.
The thing with airplay is that Mac is upstairs and TV downstairs, so it involves running up and down the stairs all the time. Which, I guess, is good for excercise. So it's a double win....

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I tried Photon. It plays videos, but the quality is bad and there is no sound.
So far the best options to watch IN on TV is either connect PC laptop to TV via HDMI and play from laptop, or airplay from my Mac computer to Apple TV, as they are on the same LAN network.
The thing with airplay is that Mac is upstairs and TV downstairs, so it involves running up and down the stairs all the time. Which, I guess, is good for excercise. So it's a double win....

I think what you are doing now is your best bet (re: connecting a PC to the TV via HDMI), if you want to watch IceNetwork on a television.

As mentioned earlier in this topic, the IN website was not designed to be mobile-friendly, so the best you can hope for is some type of shoddy work-around that might allow you to stream the videos in degraded quality. Out of curiosity, I tried a few options on my iPad and couldn't get the streaming to work at all (not that I really wanted to watch IN videos on a mobile device, just experimenting), so I just gave up.

Not sure I understand the logistics behind the upstairs/downstairs part though. If you are streaming from a laptop to a PC via HDMI, couldn't you put the laptop near the TV? Or in the case of Apple TV, couldn't you basically do the same? (i.e. Start the stream on your laptop near the TV and control it that way?) Unless the Mac you mention is a desktop, and the laptop is not a Mac... in which case, I am confused at your computer selections. ;)

Manitou

Medalist
Not sure I understand the logistics behind the upstairs/downstairs part though. If you are streaming from a laptop to a PC via HDMI, couldn't you put the laptop near the TV? Or in the case of Apple TV, couldn't you basically do the same? (i.e. Start the stream on your laptop near the TV and control it that way?) Unless the Mac you mention is a desktop, and the laptop is not a Mac... in which case, I am confused at your computer selections. ;)

I have two computers: laptop with Windows and mac desktop. It's all on the same LAN. That's why I listed two solutions.
I cannot airplay live streams from Windows to Apple TV, but I can do it from Mac. But Mac is stuck to my desk in the office, so this is why it involves running on the stairs.. :)

Another solution that came to my mind now is running a browser from a smart TV. I wonder if that would work. The thing is I don't have a smart TV, but an older HD model.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Can you use a remote desktop solution to remote into your Mac desktop from your laptop, and control it from there?

Do you have an iPhone/iPad? I think there are "remote controls" you can use on these devices that may help you control the Apple TV. I even have software on my iPhone that allows me to remotely control my home desktop PC from pretty much anywhere (although it wasn't free).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I can't find anywhere on Icenetwork where I can subscribe to just one event. ...

Today (Jan 21) ONLY, $24.99 will get you an IceNetwork Season Pass -- use discount code CHAMPS15, per IN's tweets and Facebook post.

ETA:
I've deleted my inadvertently confusing (sorry) wording re the duration of the code.
Direct quote from IN's social media:
"Beginning midnight ET on Jan. 21 and running for the next 24 hours, use the promo code ..."

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist
Can you use a remote desktop solution to remote into your Mac desktop from your laptop, and control it from there?

Do you have an iPhone/iPad? I think there are "remote controls" you can use on these devices that may help you control the Apple TV. I even have software on my iPhone that allows me to remotely control my home desktop PC from pretty much anywhere (although it wasn't free).

Remote desktop to the Mac from Windows laptop is actually a smart idea, I didn't think about it. It might be a bit overkill, though. But still, you gave me a hint... :)

Answering my own previous question about running a browser app from a smart TV: it probably wouldn't work. The reason is that the browser on smart TV is not a fully functional browser, as it probably cannot run Flash sites. And the IN streaming is based on Flash. That's the primary reason it doesn't run on iOS.

Manitou

Medalist
Today (Jan 21) ONLY, $24.99 will get you an IceNetwork Season Pass -- use discount code CHAMPS15, per IN's tweets and Facebook post.

The discount code is valid only until midnight ET on Jan 21.

OMG! I am one day late! Can I still apply it?

Manitou

Medalist
The offer ends TONIGHT at midnight.

I guess I bungled the wording of my post re the deadline. Will go back and fix it. Sorry.

My point is that I already paid them yesterday $50. I went to their site now looking for option to apply the code, or to terminate (and rebuy) the pass, but there is no such thing. So I guess I overpaid.
The thing with overpaying is that it doesn't hurt as long as you don't know you did it. But now I know... :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My point is that I already paid them yesterday $50. I went to their site now looking for option to apply the code, or to terminate (and rebuy) the pass, but there is no such thing. So I guess I overpaid.
The thing with overpaying is that it doesn't hurt as long as you don't know you did it. But now I know... :)

Oh, sorry that I misunderstood your post. (Hadn't been following your recent posts in this thread, altho' I see now that you have been discussing hardware options for your already-purchased pass.) And sorry that the discount became available too late for you.

If it's any consolation, you did a good deed :) [priceless ;)] by leading me to clarify my original post. Thank you.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I saw earlier that someone said to try Puffin as browser in order to watch video on Ice Network on an iPad. I tried the free Puffan and that didn't work for me, but the Puffin app that cost $3.99 did work. Does anyone know if Puffin will let me watch the ladies short program competition live??

Manitou

Medalist
I saw earlier that someone said to try Puffin as browser in order to watch video on Ice Network on an iPad. I tried the free Puffan and that didn't work for me, but the Puffin app that cost $3.99 did work. Does anyone know if Puffin will let me watch the ladies short program competition live??

That's another mystery to me too. I browsed the site after I purchased the pass, looking for a live stream schedule, and found only stored videos from past events. Maybe they will appear once they are available, but for now I didn't see anything that can be related to live broadcasting.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
...I browsed the site after I purchased the pass, looking for a live stream schedule, and found only stored videos from past events. Maybe they will appear once they are available, but for now I didn't see anything that can be related to live broadcasting.

On my PC (maybe the display on your device is different??):
At the very top of the IN home page is a horizontal ad banner for something else.
Immediately below the ad banner is a line of clickable options.
At the very left within that line is the icenetwork logo. Immediately to the right of the logo is this clickable option: SCHEDULE + RESULTS. Clicking there will reach the Schedule screen.​

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist
On my PC (maybe the display on your device is different??):
At the very top of the page is a horizontal ad banner for something else.
Immediately below the ad banner is a line of clickable options.
At the very left within that line is the icenetwork logo. Immediately to the right of the logo is this clickable option: SCHEDULE + RESULTS. Clicking there will reach the Schedule screen.​

Oh, that's right! It says Jan 17 - Jan 25 [LIVE] 2015 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, and when I click on [LIVE] it takes me to live broadcasting. I didn't have that [LIVE] yesterday probably because at that time nothing was being broadcasted.

Manitou

Medalist
Works great! To play it on the big HD TV I had to connect laptop to the TV via HDMI cable. I don't know if it's true 1080p HD, but compared to the fuzzy Universal Sports Network the technical quality it's outstanding. It depends on the event, though. The stored Grand Prix events are fuzzy, while the current US Nationals are crisp and sharp.

I need to add I connected the laptop to the Internet via ethernet cable. I am not sure how it would work over slower wifi.
But I spent half a day running a cable around the house from the modem to the back of TV. Just for this purpose!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I need a boost on my wireless. It was okay for most of it, but got fuzzy at times.

andromache

Record Breaker
Just joined icenetwork yesterday. Mine got fuzzy at times as well, and the lack of sound during the warm-ups annoyed me (made me think my audio had gone out due to connection problems). The commentators were annoying but better than not being able to watch it at all, plus I had a lot of fun watching live and following and commenting live in the topic--hoping for better commentary during the men's event tomorrow.

My setup is nothing special, just overpriced wireless internet, laying in bed with my laptop and a glass of wine.

waxel

Final Flight
sabinfire - Russian Nats was on US ESPN broadcast?? ("How did I not know that? I'm thinking.")

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
sabinfire - Russian Nats was on US ESPN broadcast?? ("How did I not know that? I'm thinking.")

Yes, ESPN made available in American (live and on-demand) the entirety of (Senior) Russian Nationals.

I believe it is still available for online streaming, as of the last time I checked a few days ago...