Retirements Going Into 2015-16 Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Retirements Going Into 2015-16 Season

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
he is only 16, just grew several inches taller within a few months and still managed to skate two clean programs with if not fabulous style, decent connection. I'm more than impressed with his potential.... I can't wait to see what he can bring next year. Exciting. I don't know many skaters at 16 who have such a strong package already.
Nam has quite a ways to go before he'd be a threat to Hanyu and Fernandez. With a quad, Nam couldn't even beat Jason Brown without a quad because he is slow, a little stiff, and he lacks the audience connection the men who beat him at Worlds have.

lyndichee

Medalist
I talked to Patrick at SOI last Sunday. He was joking around and said "if I choose to not compete!" I said "Patrick, what are you talking about IF you choose to not compete!" And he just laughed. I don't think he would have been joking about it if he really was going to retire. I told him he had to go to Boston because I was going to be there. He said "welllll......" I had the sense he was just teasing us. In the warmups he was throwing triple axels like they were nothing. He looked really good, in great shape. All of his jumps had those smooth landings and were effortless. He didn't do a quad, but then it was a show program.

I'm glad to hear his triple axels were good, they were always one of his weaknesses.

And back on topic I'm really sad to see one of the Helgesson sisters go, they were adorable at Euros this year.

russell30

Final Flight
Elene gedevanishvili also said that Shanghai would be her last competitive performance, she brought us some great moments over the years, always remember 2006 at euros when she burst on the scene, a two time bronze medalist at euros she had a fine career.

Wondering whether fleur maxwell will continue, I adored her 2005 SP?

Shame to hear about Victoria helgesson, she was so lovely to watch loved her sunset boulevard FS.

Great to see kiira korpi back although it was not what she wanted, I think she will stick around a year or possibly 2 as Finland host the worlds in 2017.

I heard that D/W will not compete next season, but I do hope V/M comeback even if it's one more year.

I think Chan will be back, like many forum pundits looking forward to chan,javi,hanyu, ten battles. I hope Abbott and kozuka continue too.

Be nice to see Kaetlyn osmund, sotnikova and lipnitskaia back.

Wonder if tats/max will be back?

Absolute dream come true would be to see mao back, I miss her!!

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
Nam has quite a ways to go before he'd be a threat to Hanyu and Fernandez. With a quad, Nam couldn't even beat Jason Brown without a quad because he is slow, a little stiff, and he lacks the audience connection the men who beat him at Worlds have.

I wasn't suggesting that Nam was a threat to Yuzu and Javi. My point was that him training with the best in the world pushes him to improve faster than if he were somewhere else. He's working his darndest to catch up to them, and while he may have a ways to go, seeing them every day seems to be very motivating for him.

And like 4everchan pointed out, he's only 16. Yuzuru is 20 and Javi is 24.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wasn't suggesting that Nam was a threat to Yuzu and Javi. My point was that him training with the best in the world pushes him to improve faster than if he were somewhere else. He's working his darndest to catch up to them, and while he may have a ways to go, seeing them every day seems to be very motivating for him.

And like 4everchan pointed out, he's only 16. Yuzuru is 20 and Javi is 24.

Indeed... Patrick Chan was about the same age when Buttle won the WC... and I believe that it helped him to get the 3A and then the 4T.... seeing that it was necessary to be on top... Nam just got his 4S this year and 3A last year... kind of in the same fashion... I wouldn't be surprised that he amazes us with a totally matured skating already in the next couple seasons... This kid is a "prodigy" (i don't like the term)... he skated as a tiny little boy at the Vancouver 2010 Gala... and already we could see what potential he had... I am actually amazed that he got so much better so quickly already.... If we can safely have expectations of how well Javier, Yuzuru and Patrick will do in the next 2-3 years, we do not have enough information to really know where Nam's potential will take him and how fast he can change.

And, there's nothing like skating with the best to get better...

Orser to Browning to Stojko to Buttle to Chan to Nguyen... we can see that there's a direct lineage of Canadian (and World) Champions that have been pushing each other with the years.

Last edited:

AnaBM

Rinkside
Wonder if tats/max will be back?

Absolute dream come true would be to see mao back, I miss her!!

Well Max was saying during the WC broadcast that they will be definitelly back if I'm not mistaken, so I'm crossing my fingers cause between them, all the current pairs and comebacks of next season :love: pairs is gonna get very exciting.

And I'm all in for Mao coming back! :cheer: I would die to see her again and can you imagine? The battle of the triple axels vs Liza (tho I would love to see her even without the axels :cry: just come back Mao!).

Nirti

Medalist
Elene gedevanishvili also said that Shanghai would be her last competitive performance, she brought us some great moments over the years, always remember 2006 at euros when she burst on the scene, a two time bronze medalist at euros she had a fine career.

I'm sad to read that :( Where did she say that? Do you have the link?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Orser to Browning to Stojko to Buttle to Chan to Nguyen... we can see that there's a direct lineage of Canadian (and World) Champions that have been pushing each other with the years.

Let's see:
Orser WC '87....Browning WC 89-91, 93, Stojko WC 94-95, 97...............Buttle WC 08.....Chan WC 11-13....

Orser may have pushed Browning and Browning Stojko, but there is a huge time gap between Stojko and Buttle. The reason why there was no Canadian champion between Stojko and Buttle was a couple of Russians named Plushenko and Yagudin. After Buttle, Evan Lysacek stood in Chan's path. So it's rather presumptive to assume that Nam will be a World Champion any time soon---including and after Chan, there are Hanyu, Fernandez and Ten.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Please, hold on here :) I never said that there's no break in the lineage and that it is automatic that Nam will become WC… what I am saying is that there's been a tradition in Canada of champions pushing each other… For a Canadian fan, the gap doesn't seem that big from Stojko to Buttle as in 1998, there was a newcomer, Sandhu placing second at the nationals but he wasn't sent to the games. From then on, he was seen as a real contender to one day be WC… he never managed to put on two great programs when it counted except at the 2004 Grand Prix Final… in 2002, Stojko and Sandhu were at the SLC OG, but Sandhu had to withdraw with injury… It's not long after that Buttle started to emerge on the scene with winning in 2006, a bronze at the OG (won 2002 4CC, and 2005 Silver at WC)… Back then, in Canada, it was a bit reminiscent , it not as strong as the Stojko-Browning rivalry... So as you can see, what I was saying is that there is still a link from Stojko to Sandhu (who may not be remembered since he lacked consistency but was an extremely talented skater capable of huge jumps), to Buttle… Of course, this being said, despite Sandhu's lack of fulfillment of his own potential, there were other skaters who shined during those years… but one will always wonder what Sandhu could have achieved as he did have all the goods to reach the top as his 2004 GFP result shows. Buttle still is very involved as a choreographer and with SOI. Chan is coming back… All of this may inspire Nam to reach his spicy potential a bit faster than someone totally not infused with this tradition… oh, and of course, Nam's coach is not too shabby himself. :) that's all I was saying… no pressure on the kid, I wish him to simply be happy with his skating and delight us with his joy on ice.
Let's see:
Orser WC '87....Browning WC 89-91, 93, Stojko WC 94-95, 97...............Buttle WC 08.....Chan WC 11-13....

Orser may have pushed Browning and Browning Stojko, but there is a huge time gap between Stojko and Buttle. The reason why there was no Canadian champion between Stojko and Buttle was a couple of Russians named Plushenko and Yagudin. After Buttle, Evan Lysacek stood in Chan's path. So it's rather presumptive to assume that Nam will be a World Champion any time soon---including and after Chan, there are Hanyu, Fernandez and Ten.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
Indeed... Patrick Chan was about the same age when Buttle won the WC... and I believe that it helped him to get the 3A and then the 4T.... seeing that it was necessary to be on top... Nam just got his 4S this year and 3A last year... kind of in the same fashion... I wouldn't be surprised that he amazes us with a totally matured skating already in the next couple seasons... This kid is a "prodigy" (i don't like the term)... he skated as a tiny little boy at the Vancouver 2010 Gala... and already we could see what potential he had... I am actually amazed that he got so much better so quickly already.... If we can safely have expectations of how well Javier, Yuzuru and Patrick will do in the next 2-3 years, we do not have enough information to really know where Nam's potential will take him and how fast he can change.

Yes, he has improved incredibly quickly since moving to the Cricket Club. I think he had stalled somewhat under Joanne McLeod, and now with better coaches and some amazing training mates, he's really coming into his own.

moriel

Record Breaker
Well Max was saying during the WC broadcast that they will be definitelly back if I'm not mistaken, so I'm crossing my fingers cause between them, all the current pairs and comebacks of next season :love: pairs is gonna get very exciting.

And I'm all in for Mao coming back! :cheer: I would die to see her again and can you imagine? The battle of the triple axels vs Liza (tho I would love to see her even without the axels :cry: just come back Mao!).

Hmmm actually not sure if V/T should actually come back...
They closed it in a lovely way with olympic gold, would be not so cool if they came back and lost to D/R or chinese

noskates

Record Breaker
Don't want Patrick to retire. DO want to see the fluffy foo foo costumes off of Hanyu. Just sign me, 'not a fan!'

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Why bringing down another skater :no:

If we look for example at score for Worlds --> PCSs for Javi, Denis, Machida and Yuzu are closed to each other.

Worlds 2012
SP : LP
(1) Patrick TES 46.24, PCS 43.17 : (1) Patrick TES 88.56, PCS 90.14
(2) Brezina TES 48.70, PCS 38.97 : (2) Yuzu TES 91.99, PCS 83.00
(3) Takahashi TES 43.43, PCS 42.29 : (3) Takahashi TES 88.16 , PCS 85.78

Worlds 2013
1) Patrick TES 52.70, PCS 45.67 : (1) Denis TES 87.76, PCS 87.16
2) Denis TES 50.81, PCS 40.75 : (2) Patrick TES 82.13, PCS 89.28
3) Kevin TES 47.69, PCS 37.47 : (3) Yuzu TES 89.05 , PCS 80.00

Worlds 2014
(1) Machida TES 52.82, PCS 45.39 : (1) Yuzu TES 99.83, PCS 91.42
(2) Javi TES 51.43, PCS 44.99 : (2) Machida TES 93.85, PCS 90.20
(3) Yuzu TES 46.74, PCS 45.50 : (3) Javi TES 88.33, PCS 91.18

World 2015
(1) Yuzuru TES 49.92, PCS 45.28 : (1) Ten TES 93.47, PCS 88.36
(2) Javi TES 48.63, PCS 44.11 : (2) Javi TES 93.10, PCS 89.06
(3) Ten TES 44.32, PCS 42.47 : (3) Yuzuru TES 88.24, PCS 88.64

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You know how I started this thread to tell you that Eveline Brunner had decided to retire. Well, she is not the only Swiss representative to make this decision

:cry: Anna Ovcharova is also retiring!!!! :cry:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Back in February, I had posted a question to her ask.fm account asking why Switzerland hadn't sent anybody (i.e. her!) to the Universiade. And, I have to be honest, I was quite upset that she didn't answer.

Well, she finally answered it a few hours ago. And now I wish she hadn't. This is what she said:

My dear friends, I decided to stop skating. I am sorry, if that will disappoint you. Maybe I'll do some galas, I'm not sure, yet.

http://ask.fm/littlespartan/answer/126041911692

Somebody else must have seen it before me, because they asked her if this was right that she wasn't going to do competitions any more, and she replied about half an hour ago with:

I'm heartbroken. As you know, I'm the biggest Anna Ovcharova fanboy out there.

But, although I am upset with hearing this, and will miss seeing her on the ice, as long as Anna is happy with her decision, then I am reluctantly happy too.

All the best for the future, Anna.

CaroLiza_fan xxx

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Don't want Patrick to retire. DO want to see the fluffy foo foo costumes off of Hanyu. Just sign me, 'not a fan!'

So, just to be clear, do you want him to put on other different costumes or just leave the foo foo off and go au natural?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You know how I started this thread to tell you that Eveline Brunner had decided to retire. Well, she is not the only Swiss representative to make this decision

:cry: Anna Ovcharova is also retiring!!!! :cry:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Back in February, I had posted a question to her ask.fm account asking why Switzerland hadn't sent anybody (i.e. her!) to the Universiade. And, I have to be honest, I was quite upset that she didn't answer.

Well, she finally answered it a few hours ago. And now I wish she hadn't. This is what she said:

My dear friends, I decided to stop skating. I am sorry, if that will disappoint you. Maybe I'll do some galas, I'm not sure, yet.

http://ask.fm/littlespartan/answer/126041911692

Somebody else must have seen it before me, because they asked her if this was right that she wasn't going to do competitions any more, and she replied about half an hour ago with:

I'm heartbroken. As you know, I'm the biggest Anna Ovcharova fanboy out there.

But, although I am upset with hearing this, and will miss seeing her on the ice, as long as Anna is happy with her decision, then I am reluctantly happy too.

All the best for the future, Anna.

CaroLiza_fan xxx

Aw, I know that would be disappointing for you, clearly Anna's No. 1 fan!!

So who exactly is left in the Swiss ladies?

noskates

Record Breaker
So, just to be clear, do you want him to put on other different costumes or just leave the foo foo off and go au natural?

Bwahaha - NO, do not want to see him au natural. Eeeyewww! :shocked: Just ditch the foo foo fluffy ribboned ethereal glitzy beaded sequined material costumes. All black would be perfect and would not be distracting.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Aw, I know that would be disappointing for you, clearly Anna's No. 1 fan!!

So who exactly is left in the Swiss ladies?

Thanks Mrs. P. I'm disappointed, but understanding and supportive of her decision.

When discussing Eveline on the first page, Flaya pointed out that the top 4 Swiss skaters that were all very well matched.

Eveline and Anna were 2 of them, but the other 2 were Matilde GIANOCCA (ISU Bio) and Tanja ODERMATT (ISU Bio)

Eveline Brunner won the Swiss Championships but has lower TES scores than Anna Ovcharova.

Add to that Matilde GIANOCCA and Tanja ODERMATT being right below her in TES and you literally have a four way tie for that top spot!

Swiss skaters seem to retire early, as example Tina STUERZINGER is no longer competing either.

When you wrote that final sentence, Flaya, who would have guessed that we would be coming back to it a few days later, but in realtion to another young Swiss skater?

(Yes, Anna's Russian. But you know what I mean! ;) )

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Bwahaha - NO, do not want to see him au natural. Eeeyewww! :shocked: Just ditch the foo foo fluffy ribboned ethereal glitzy beaded sequined material costumes. All black would be perfect and would not be distracting.

So, in other words, instead of emulating the costumes of one of his idols - Johnny - he should just go for the other idol, and go All Black like Plushy instead?;) So long as he doesn't do the Ultra-C-through as well... We lament those enough on the Plushy fan thread as it is - we don't want another skater joining him! ;)

ETA - Or, wait - do you mean literally all black - like a cat burglar? With no other colour/relief at all? That I could not be in favour of - that would be too.. boring...

Last edited: