Rika Hongo | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Rika Hongo

beki

Medalist
Just catching up on Rika's season. I like the Lawrence of Arabia program a lot, but it doesn't highlight her strengths and disguise her weaknesses the way Riverdance does. Trying to push out of her comfort zone was a good choice this year, but now that the younger Japanese skaters are nipping at her heels, taking a step back is also a good choice. It is important she stay ahead of them.

kptnciam

Rinkside
Hi, first time poster, although I've been following the forum for a long while.

Just read the thread. I'm torn, because I liked Riverdance so much that I'm happy to see it again (maybe even live at worlds!) and I know she'll do better with that program, but I'm sad because she didn't manage to have success with Lawrence, and because I don't understand why judges don't like her :scratch2: :( And this feels like giving up on that...

But, of course, I'll also be rooting for her !!! Hope she makes the world team!!!! She's my favourite japanese too! :love:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Welcome kptnciam -- post often, post long (like they say!). You're joining at a very exciting time! :)

kptnciam

Rinkside
Welcome kptnciam -- post often, post long (like they say!). You're joining at a very exciting time! :)

Yeah, that's why I decided to write (instead of just reading). Usually it's enough with the spanish forums and twitter and all, but right now I have a huge figure skating withdrawal (I was able to go to Marseille and to the spanish nationals) and my brain needs more food xDDD :popcorn:

Thanks for the welcome :thank:

And the offtopic post is officially over :agree:

emmiele

Rinkside
Aw...gutted for Rika. Thought she did really well, despite the mistake in the FS. I was really sad to see her tearing up at the end. I hope she can finish off the season well at the Asian Winter Games. Her Ex wasn't aired but apparently it was really lovely to a Celtic song. https://twitter.com/bluecosmosh/status/813420096894816256 Hope it's aired in the next broadcast or we get to see it at the winter games.

mikaboo

Medalist
Aw...gutted for Rika. Thought she did really well, despite the mistake in the FS. I was really sad to see her tearing up at the end. I hope she can finish off the season well at the Asian Winter Games. Her Ex wasn't aired but apparently it was really lovely to a Celtic song. https://twitter.com/bluecosmosh/status/813420096894816256 Hope it's aired in the next broadcast or we get to see it at the winter games.

She looks beautiful in that blue dress.
It was devastating to see Rika look so sad after the FS. And she did so well in the SP too...

The audience will love her at AWG. She won’t get any points from it but I hope she skates lights out and has fun.

LRK

Record Breaker

I will really miss Rika at Worlds'.

I do hope we get to see that EX some time - the dress is really pretty! - and a Celtic song sounds like it would be something that would really suit Rika.

emmiele

Rinkside
Thanks! I'm glad the whole show will air. I hope someone will upload her performance. I don't have a tv so always rely on livestream or the videos that people take the effort to put up.

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
Does anyone know if Asian Winter Games have a gala?
According to the announcement, the gold medallists will be required to participate in the Gala Exhibition.

17. EXHIBITION

All the Gold Medalists of the 8th Asian Winter Games in Figure Skating will be required to participate in the Gala Exhibition which will be combined with the official Closing Ceremony of the 8th Asian Winter Games and held on Sunday, February 26, 2017 at the Makomanai Indoor Skating Rink.

Warwick360

Medalist
So sad for Rika, hitting a new low at the Asian Games. :(

Speaking of which, I think I may have come under a conundrum over which 3 Japanese girls I'd like to see go to the next Olympics, as it draws even more near, presuming that Team Japan will get 3 Olympics spot.

I'm guessing Satoko is a shoo-in for the spot, which leaves Hongo, Mai, and Higuchi. :confused: I'm discounting Mao here since I have no idea how she'll come back next year. Hoping she'll do well, but most things seem to indicate to Sasha Cohen at US Nationals in 2010.:slink:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Her traditional attire is beautiful, as is she!

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
I'm guessing Satoko is a shoo-in for the spot, which leaves Hongo, Mai, and Higuchi. :confused: I'm discounting Mao here since I have no idea how she'll come back next year. Hoping she'll do well, but most things seem to indicate to Sasha Cohen at US Nationals in 2010.:slink:
To be honest, after the hip injury I'm not so sure Satoko will be guaranteed. I'm a bit anxious she might lose her consistency and/or jumps just like Rika. There's also Honda, Sakamoto and possibly Shiraiwa to add in the competition for the Olympic spots.

Warwick360

Medalist
To be honest, after the hip injury I'm not so sure Satoko will be guaranteed. I'm a bit anxious she might lose her consistency and/or jumps just like Rika. There's also Honda, Sakamoto and possibly Shiraiwa to add in the competition for the Olympic spots.

I keep forgetting that Japan has its own flurry of young skaters just like Russia for next season. :laugh:

But I still think if the jump is intact, they still might go on the goodwill value for Satoko, whether she hits the podium or not at Nationals.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So sad for Rika, hitting a new low at the Asian Games. :(

Speaking of which, I think I may have come under a conundrum over which 3 Japanese girls I'd like to see go to the next Olympics, as it draws even more near, presuming that Team Japan will get 3 Olympics spot.

Marin Honda will be age eligible and likely competitive too.