Rika Hongo | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Rika Hongo

LRK

Record Breaker
I think it can be really interesting to see the programs in the early stages - so long as one does remember it is the early stages. One can see the programs grow and develop as the season goes along. And yes, I think she will acquire more conviction in her performance as the choreo will have time to settle and become natural to her.

I'm not going to make up my mind regarding either program just yet. I'll wait and see how they look by the time of the GPs.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wondered if in the early stages of her programs if it was a bit unnerving to have people standing RIGHT there, so close to the boards. I look forward to seeing her at Skate Canada. It will be fun to see the progress she has made by October.

mikaboo

Medalist
I think Rika always looks a little nervous before competitions (like most skaters do) but she might look more so here because it’s her first competition of the season and the first time she’s skating to her FS in front of an audience.
I watched her live last month at an ice show where she performed her SP and she looked fantastic there. She’ll be skating in Shizuka’s Friend on Ice from Friday so hopefully she can get more comfortable skating to her FS (if that’s what she’ll be skating to) there.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Very beautiful photos of the birthday girl! Is this purple costume for her new SP? ETA - I see in Dreams on Ice she is wearing a blue costume and a black one too in another ice show. Hard to know which one she'll use in competitions.

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was for her 2014 SP-Le Corsaire.

The comment in the video says that it's done by Akiko but I think the SP was choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto though... :)

Thx for that link! Of course I had to watch her old program - it was wonderful! She really looked like she was skating with joy and confidence. I look forward to her new programs having that same feeling. I think she is off to a good start. Looking forward to seeing her at Skate Canada!

Zora

On the Ice
Usually I'm a big fan of Rika's programs! But watching her new free program, I don't get why she is doing the step sequence to such a slow music part, when she's skating to Lawrence of Arabia! Such a waste of opportunity. And I don't think this is playing to her strengths. :(

kiches

Final Flight
Just got back from Autumn Classic and thought I'd share this video I recorded of Rika doing a run through of her free: http://dai.ly/x4vuq6s. I think she was first or second to skate in practice and didn't do any jumps though.

This was actually the first time I saw both her new programs, and they didn't seem to have the same magic as her two programs last year. I prefer the free to the short, but I'm sure she'll continue to develop both throughout the season. By the way, I loved both her costumes at Autumn Classic, they were beautiful!

emmiele

Rinkside
Wishing Rika a great skate tomorrow. Hope she makes it on the podium and finally gets the scores she deserves.

janav

On the Ice
Finally watched Rika's SP. This is great vehicle for her. Kudos, Akiko! I think the starting order did disservice to her score but hey, that's not something she can control. Best of luck in the FP!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I have the faintest hope that Rika skates clean later and makes it onto the podium. It's a small hope, but it is there. It just makes me mad, because 65 isn't a bad SP score. It's a good score but in comparison it just is not enough. *sigh* Rika is the one I root for. *cheers*

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have the faintest hope that Rika skates clean later and makes it onto the podium. It's a small hope, but it is there. It just makes me mad, because 65 isn't a bad SP score. It's a good score but in comparison it just is not enough. *sigh* Rika is the one I root for. *cheers*

I'm right there with ya :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
Finally watched Rika's SP. This is great vehicle for her. Kudos, Akiko! I think the starting order did disservice to her score but hey, that's not something she can control. Best of luck in the FP!

Her SP is choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne, the FS is by Akiko.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Technical panel utterly destroyed Rika's FS score ;_;

Was it really that bad?