Rika Kihira | Page 51 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

readernick

Medalist
Despite myself I do wonder what her score would be in short with a big beautiful double axle.

She would be in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. But, long term she needs to get over her nerves and land the 3A. So, it makes sense to keep going for it until she is consistent.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Rika's most problematic jumps in the FS are, unsurprisingly, her 3A and 3Lz this season, each of which she does twice. Given her record in the FS (at ON, NHK and Nationals, she landed both 3As cleanly compared to GPF, IdF), and given how clean her 3Lz was in the short after that 3Lz injury, she seems to be recovering somewhat well. Keep in mind that we've all seen the script of missing the SP 3A before.

160 in the FS, pls.

lzxnl

Final Flight
She did it! And honestly she didn't need any triple axels at all this competition. But it was so nice to see her skate cleanly and overcome any mental demons regarding her 3A and 3Lz! And to maintain her undefeated international streak :biggrin:

But please Rika, make it easier for us fans and lead after the short. It's stressful when you're always fifth :laugh:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
YYYYYYYYAAASSSSS!!!
I love it when Rika just sneaks in to steal the gold medal from everyone. every. single. time.
Unbeaten internationally!

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Queeeeeen Riiiiika!!!! So good. It was smart to keep out the 2nd 3Axel and go for a clean skate. Her PCs were robbed though. The judging at 4CC gives me headaches sigh.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Congrats to Rika for her victory, despite not so easy situation after free program. She proves strong will which is as necessary as skating abilities. :agree:

gotoschool

Medalist
Rika delivers such dramatic excitement, elegance, power with graceful arm movements, fine lines, flexibility, intricate steps, and finally great agility physically and mentally to adjust her jumps with an in injury and deliver with grace under pressure by coming back from fifth to win yet again just like in the NHK. 3 Lutz / 3 toe substitution to upgrade and compensate for only one but very beautiful triple axel yet again.

Logirl

On the Ice
Congrats Rika. Now if you would only play it safe in the short program for me a big beautiful double axle in the short and take risk with triple axle in the long. This would stop knocking off years from my life expectancy from worry.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Congrats Rika! :) Technical, artistry and strong willpower.

I think Saitama will be the place where we could see a GPF-like SP and NHK-like FS. ;)

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Ok, I've kind of spammed the 4cc Ladies FS thread so I wanted to proclaim my love here for a change.

Rika keeps getting better and better. Forget the skating. Just her mind, ugh! How did she turn from the girl who falls twice in a stsq, skates clean runthroughs but never lands all the jumps in competition, flopped multiple times last season, now she's here, dominating Ladies skating, doesn't matter if she's coming from behind on the SP or skates with a dislocated finger or only decides the FS layout during the FS warmup, she comes through in the end. Her mental game is strong and it's amazing to watch. :eeking:

Of course besides being in the right mindset, she also has the right BV... :laugh: Her 3A is a thing of beauty, it looks so easy. Her 3S at the end of her FS is one of the many highlights in that program, every time she skates. Her transitions are beautifully done, her 3Lz is a true Lutz, her 3F is a true Flip. She's got IT! :agree:

I'm sorry to keep repeating myself, this is probably the tenth time I say this here but, the way Rika keeps evolving is one of her best and most admirable and rewarding qualities. It's a joy to see her growth. :luv17: Thanks, Rika!! :pray:

moonstruck

On the Ice
Congratulations Rika, for showing strength in the face of pressure and moving from fifth to first! Beautiful Storm is one of my favorite programs this season and it's great to see another powerful performance of it :)

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Also, may I post my Rika Kihira videos here? :biggrin:

Free Skate GPF vs 4CC comparison(not sure is available, there's some sort of strike on the video, I think it's blocked in some countries but hopefully not everywhere)
https://youtu.be/DN919d3m-7o

Free Skate Dreams on Ice vs 4CC
https://youtu.be/_pUXYZLu2xg

Free Skate Fantasy on Ice vs NHK
https://youtu.be/_pUXYZLu2xg

I have other videos, here's my Rika Kihira playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGYFuNv_GlE&list=PL7OnuXneAEFughfYj7e0mBARi1qyfcZzg

Fluture

Record Breaker
Congrats Rika! She wasn‘t at her best during this event but given that she has an injured finger, she was really good. What a strong mindset, to skate like that in the FS after the problems in the SP. Honestly, her FS wasn’t the best she’s ever skated it either but it still gave me chills. It’s just such a great program. Well done! Deserved winner! :clap:

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I do love her FS, everything about it. That costume, music, her movement. She is becoming fast one of my fave figure skaters.

And I love her fighting spirit, how she can carry through and improvise if needed (she seems to shift around her jump layouts a bit...). It's great. She is enjoyable even if she is not 100% on.

lzxnl

Final Flight
I decided to do some number-crunching, which is one of my favourite things to do in FS. Here's a comparison of how many points Rika's second 3A is worth in the FS.

NHK layout:
3A+3T BV 12.20 + 2.63 GOE = 14.83 (holy cow)
3Lz+2T BV 7.20 + 1.69 GOE = 8.89
Total = 23.72

IdF/4CC layout, using 4CC scores:
2A+3T BV 7.50 + 1.38 GOE = 8.88
3Lz+3T BV 10.10 + 1.85 GOE = 11.95
Total = 20.83

This safety net cost her about 3 points, but it ensures she gets her combo in, especially with a finger injury.

Minoru

Rinkside
I decided to do some number-crunching, which is one of my favourite things to do in FS. Here's a comparison of how many points Rika's second 3A is worth in the FS.

NHK layout:
3A+3T BV 12.20 + 2.63 GOE = 14.83 (holy cow)
3Lz+2T BV 7.20 + 1.69 GOE = 8.89
Total = 23.72

IdF/4CC layout, using 4CC scores:
2A+3T BV 7.50 + 1.38 GOE = 8.88
3Lz+3T BV 10.10 + 1.85 GOE = 11.95
Total = 20.83

This safety net cost her about 3 points, but it ensures she gets her combo in, especially with a finger injury.

Thanks for the data. It's a smart decision!
Congratulations Rika!
There are Japanese skate funs criticizing that she raments about shoes problems, finger injuries to excuse just in case she failed. Come-on she is just honest and simple, has not learned how to play poker game.