Roman Sadovsky | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Roman Sadovsky

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've received a request to translate the Radio-Canada Sports coverage of Roman's Skate America LP. Because I had wanted to complete the task quickly, my translation is rather "literal" in the sense that I didn't put in much effort to reword certain parts so that it sounds better in English. The male commentator has a tendency to mumble, so I had asked a Québécois friend who subtitles French-language movies and TV shows for help with a few sections that I had trouble with, but even she had problems understanding some of what he said.

Woman: The Canadian Roman Sadovsky, he's 18 years old, and he's really part of the hopes for the future of Canadian figure skating. He was 9th after the short program, but it was almost without fault.

Man: And what he has shown to us about him augurs beautiful things. Let's see if in the free he has the capacity there as well to hold the distance despite his young age and his lack of experience.

Woman: Music from Les Misérables.

Man: Quadruple Salchow!

Woman: Oof!

Man: [It's a] Pity/Shame, he turned on himself, so he landed too forward. But he had the rotation (the commentator then mumbles something that even my friend cannot decipher).

Careful there, he must recover. The triple Axel! No, double Axel. Cautious.

And admire the gestures, he has very pretty skating, very beautiful carriage of the head. (The commentator then mumbles, and my friend's best guess is "Et beau descendu," which literally means "And beautiful descended." This doesn't make any sense, but she honestly can't figure out what else he could be saying.)

Here it's certainly a triple Axel... Yes! No. Augh, he missed the landing. And it's not fatigue because he has barely done the length of the short program.

(Roman singles the loop.) Missed.

So, do two performances in a row, two days in a row, that's also an experience.

Woman: He was still in junior last year, so taking in the experience on the senior stage.

Man: That's it, how to manage, how to manage the pressure, how to manage the fact that he's a very good skater, and we expect a lot, a lot from him.

[He interprets] Very well the music.

He really has a very pretty touch on the ice. Watch how the blade goes... to... on the rink, like an airplane that lands here, all in softness.

Go. Go, do it. (Roman singles the Axel.) No!

Woman: Augh.

Man: Mired in his thoughts.

Woman: Mm-hmm.

Man: Quadruple Salchow! And then he does a single toe loop. It's... it's perfect, he's young. It's his youth, it's that, becoming a skater progressively.

The triple Lutz, half loop, triple Salchow.

He has largely the means of his ambitions, this young man.

Very beautiful skater.

(Roman falls on the triple flip.) Augh!

Woman: Ouch.

Man: Missed the triple flip.

Woman: He's... yeah, he's hurt a bit.

Man: He got hurt. It turned more than what he wanted, nothing controlled. He didn't expect to miss it.

Woman: He fell badly. Oof.

Man: Well, we're sad for him, but it will sort itself out.

Woman: Roman Sadovsky of Canada. We put this in the suitcase of experience.

Man: Yes.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Roman's vlogs are so entertaining, but that car stunt nearly gave me a heart attack! :eek: I had no idea he was so reckless!

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Roman's vlogs are so entertaining, but that car stunt nearly gave me a heart attack! :eeking: I had no idea he was so reckless!
LOL, not so reckless really :-D

Watching in slow-mo, I'm pretty sure it's just clever camera angles and editing, and he doesn't really jump over the car

ie. car passes him to the side, between the camera and Roman... or it's a composite of two videos (road details become strangely blurred in front of the car, and behind it, as it moves...) :-D

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
LOL, not so reckless really :-D

Watching in slow-mo, I'm pretty sure it's just clever camera angles and editing, and he doesn't really jump over the car

ie. car passes him to the side, between the camera and Roman... or it's a composite of two videos (road details become strangely blurred in front of the car, and behind it, as it moves...) :-D

I have zero video editing skills, so the stunt appeared to be real to me; young men tend to do foolish and dangerous things just to prove how cool they are. Are you 100% certain that it's fake?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I have zero video editing skills, so the stunt appeared to be real to me; young men tend to do foolish and dangerous things just to prove how cool they are. Are you 100% certain that it's fake?
Can never be 100% certain... he might just be that crazy...! But I can't imagine the driver taking the risk of seriously injuring someone, and frankly I'd be DEEPLY disturbed and concerned if the stunt was real...!

Anyway, if you use the youtube settings to play at 0.25x speed and use the pause... there's a frame where his foot appears to be behind the nose of the car... but also, there is a blur around the car. The blur obscures a dark line on the road just behind the car, and the line reappears behind the car as it passes. It's quite clear if you're looking for it. This heavily suggests that two videos have been composited into one...

Sorry to be a wet blanket...

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Roman's 4th vlog focuses on his pet peeves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKMyI8__aoc I laughed so hard that I nearly spit out my juice when he pokes fun at people who chew with their mouths open and when he pretends to use a grenade while "driving" (the background is obviously a green screen). :laugh2: I also like his fangirl squeal when he listens to his new subwoofer for the first time. :laugh: As a fan of the X-Men films, I approve of Deadpool on his phone.

A couple of YRSA group shots:

http://www.yrsawc.on.ca/_/rsrc/1515298686425/skaters/2018 National Skaters.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdlmDWfBlsj/

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
His Nationals LP practice from yesterday:

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not only did Roman perform two quads in the SP for the first time in his career, he was also the sole competitor in that segment who completed two quads! :clap:

His post-SP interview:

Since he's in 7th place, he'll once again be the final skater in the penultimate group for the free skate, and that means he'll be interviewed a second time! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Sk8Ski

Spectator
Wow. just wow. That was a pretty good long program. Since patrick and eladj are retiring, does that mean Roman will be on the national team for next season? Cuz it's top five, and he was 7th, but if you take out those two he'd be number five.

- - - Updated - - -

Is kevin reynolds retiring as well?

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Roman delivered by far his best free skate of the season, and he landed that pesky triple Axel! :yahoo: :cheer2:

His post-LP interview:

Since patrick and eladj are retiring, does that mean Roman will be on the national team for next season? Cuz it's top five, and he was 7th, but if you take out those two he'd be number five.

I'm not 100% sure (maybe Mango can accurately answer your question), but I think so.

Is kevin reynolds retiring as well?

Yes.

Last edited: