Russian Junior and Senior Test Skates | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Russian Junior and Senior Test Skates

katymay

Medalist
Personally, I'm not going to watch these junior test skates. There's something special about watching the program the first time as it's being competed... when they're in costumes and there's medals on the line. And previously, there was a sense that they themselves felt that they were revealing their programs for the world to see at the JGP that's been lost a bit. I have fond memories of being wowed by skaters like Fedichkina, Zagitova, Tsurskaya, Tarakanova, Kostornaia, Trusova, etc, etc, et al and consuming it all at once kind of spoils things.

Monotonous repetition is a big problem with figure skating and extending the season with these public control rentals makes the problem worse. I wish figure skating had two seasons in a year.... one setup like the current season where the skaters focus on a set of programs... then a second season for top skaters done up like a reality skating show like Ice Age where they compete a new program every say 1-3 weeks.

I don't like it for the seniors either, but I'm a bit for forgiving on that since they actually sell tickets and make money from it(though unsure about this year with COVID). Plus, I think early public criticism when there's still a chance to change things is more important for seniors... especially in an Olympic year.
When the dance ran out yesterday, my Youtube auto loaded on to the 2019 Senior test skates-and I had forgotten the level of excitement for those. Full LOUD audience! Alina Zagitova, Zhenya were still competitive and wonderful. And the moment when Anna's costume changed to red for firebird-the crowd went crazy! (Not to mention Trusova hit those quads!) Honestly one of the best hours of figure skating in recent history-and it was senior test skates. The fact that is was a non competition setting perhaps allowed all of the women to bring their best,. So yeah, I love test skates. And even if someone does poorly (which rarely happens) , it is fun to see how they progress through the year.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Less than 15 minutes to go until the boys SP start!

I'm watching Sports Climbing at the Olympics, and not only do you have to scramble up walls at crazy angles with tiny foot and handholds but you have to figure out maths or geometry problems too! 😱

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Less than 15 minutes to go until the boys SP start!

I'm watching Sports Climbing at the Olympics, and not only do you have to scramble up walls at crazy angles with tiny foot and handholds but you have to figure out maths or geometry problems too! 😱
and jump, don't forget jump

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Stream is on but hasn't started yet...

There's a Jaubert climbing now, seems to be pronounced the same as Brian J.

In other news...the camera angles of this just reminded me...I'm kinda terrified of heights :laugh:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Stream is on but hasn't started yet...

There's a Jaubert climbing now, seems to be pronounced the same as Brian J.

In other news...the camera angles of this just reminded me...I'm kinda terrified of heights :laugh:
don't watch!🙈

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i guess the streaming got nervous too

------

do we have a starting order?