Russian Senior Test Skates 2021 - Free Skating | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Russian Senior Test Skates 2021 - Free Skating

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I assumed that's what they meant (I've seen people substitute Nessun Dorma for Turandot). My original comment was about how I'd only ever like to hear Pavarotti or instrumental Nessun Dorma (song), and I got the replies about Callas, and thought they were calling the opera "Nessun Dorma" instead. Searching "Maria Callas Nessun Dorma" on YouTube does give you this though, lol:

If there is a Nessun Dorma (song) recording by Callas, I'd love to hear that too!

Ha ha - sadly back in the day (actually not sadly IMO 😈) people stuck to their own rep, but here are a few things you might enjoy:

- Signore Ascolta (this is Liu’s first aria from Turandot. She is a secondary character & I don’t think Callas ever sang the role live but her music is gorgeous). https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IvT4NVi39vw

- Nessun Dorma, tenor Franco Corelli. This is from a live performance (not sure when/where, but it’s electrifying). 😊. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sE4EgIG0pew

Skatesocs

Final Flight
- Signore Ascolta (this is Liu’s first aria from Turandot. She is a secondary character & I don’t think Callas ever sang the role live but her music is gorgeous). https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IvT4NVi39vw
I love the clarity of Callas' voice so much.

- Nessun Dorma, tenor Franco Corelli. This is from a live performance (not sure when/where, but it’s electrifying). 😊. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sE4EgIG0pew
I might have found a new favorite :slink:

katymay

Medalist
Well, this is sort of like the day after Christmas...all the anticipation, and now it is all over. It did not disappoint. And while one might nitpick some of the music/costume/program choices, it was still an extravaganza of wonderful skating. I'm sad that Japan does not also see fit to provide the same exposure and opportunity to watch their skaters.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say that I loved Trusova's free - it was punk rock in the best way - the bright red hair, the costume and skating to a cover of the Stooges' 1969 proto-punk classic "I wanna be your dog" from the Cruella soundtrack (along with the theme song from Florence and the Machine, a popular artist for figure skating these days) is something I thought I would never ever see in figure skating, as was her landing 5 quads. We've seen this "throw everything but the kitchen sink" approach when she was with Plushy, but it didn't work. Somehow today, it did. Eteri even smiled and was applauding her, quite the sight!

If she can do this and make the Olympic team - I cannot see anyone beating her, other than Nathan Chen, lol.

As for her use of "I wanna be your dog" - I'm assuming she was doing this as a nod to her love of canines, but this is typical of inappropriate song choices for Russian teens. She skated to "Big Spender" when she was 12 or 13, and 15 year old Maiia K. was skating to "El Tango de Roxanne" about walking the streets for money and selling her body to the night. Big difference from Liza N skating to "The Little Mermaid." I was getting whiplash hearing song choices either too young or too old for the skaters.

The best song choice IMO was Aliona skating to "The Four Seasons" - a warhorse for sure, but no questionable lyrics.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I love the clarity of Callas' voice so much.

I might have found a new favorite :slink:

Yeah, mom used to play Callas around the house when I was a kid so in many ways she formed my idea of what singing is supposed to be. Love both Pav & Corelli for different reasons. Anyway, we’re way OT for this thread, but message me any time you want to talk opera! 😊 In the meantime I’ll leave you with this (sorry for quality of recording and hope you like Mozart): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mFMNA1ibLW4

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Yeah, mom used to play Callas around the house when I was a kid so in many ways she formed my idea of what singing is supposed to be. Love both Pav & Corelli for different reasons. Anyway, we’re way OT for this thread, but message me any time you want to talk opera! 😊 In the meantime I’ll leave you with this (sorry for quality of recording and hope you like Mozart): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mFMNA1ibLW4
Thanks, I might take you up on that! :thank: Callas' singing is definitely a great childhood memory to have. I'd probably still pick Pavarotti for skating (or dance interpretation) because it's hopeful in a rather "depressing" setting (basically giving you more to work with), but Corelli gave me more in terms of singing and acting with his phrasing. He projected arrogance, but not in an obnoxious way, rather a way that makes you cheer for him.

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
And then, I don't even know. The rest of it is not -terrible-, I guess. But I just have to ask "why?", why not have the whole program to that gorgeous music... So disjointed.
I would highly recommend to read translations of Anna's or Daniil's last interviews about this free. One can argue that good program should be obvious for spectator with zero knowledge about original source the program was made for - but I disagree with that stance, tbh. It's like trying to understand Schindler's List or Queen's Gambit program - without watching or even knowing what these movies are about. To have some sort of libretto to a program based on a movie or book is crucial to appreciate it properly. Else you would feel confused as you are now.
As you probably know - the program based on Bulgakov's book "Master and Margarita". You won't understand it if you didn' t read the book or at least didn't know the summary of plot. In short, the first part under Apocalyptica's "Ruska" theme is meant to portray heroine's struggle and foreboding of evil which tries to catch her. The second part under movie's (actually - tv series) soundtrack playing during.. let's say, forces of evil dance - should portray heroine making a deal with a satan and turning her into a witch. The third part, playing under Mozart's "Lacrimosa" should portray eventual victory of power of good - i.e. her winning over evil temptations
It's extremely primitive interpretation since the book is very complex, mature, intelligent and metaphorical. I suspect it's not easy to find good enough translation of that piece though. There is russian tv series which would be easier to understand (still book is obviously better). However both the book and the movie is hard to understand fully for nonrussian audience since both are littered with pretty much untranslateable stuff related to cultural memes, references and satire actual for Russia society at the beginning of XX century. And even without that the work absolutely is not directed toward teens or even young adults. They just won't be able to understand it properly, IMO. In the sense of maturity if we compare it with Cruella program - there would be the same distance between them as between "Mermaid" and "Parfumer" programs (actually - much more).

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Frees then. After a fairly positive day of shorts (ha), yesterday was a bit of a downer. I really don't care for ice dance, but had the stream going whilst I was cooking lunch. And was particularly struck by the unoriginality of music choices - only the bollywood was not among the classic and current war horses. Not a great start.

The men were pretty dismal. I don't think any of the programs made a positive impact on me. Ofc it is still early days, but the choices of music/themes were not very promising overall. I also paid attention to the rather bad costuming. Cheap-looking attempts at period clothes (Mozalev, Kolyada), cheap long-sleeve illfitting Ts (Samarin, Kondratiuk) etc. Not great.

Watched again only the top 3 pairs (or bits of them because Lombardia men FS was more interesting at that point). None of the programs was very interesting, original or even in general Olympics worthy. T/M trying to channel Aljona and Bruno's iconic choreo was embarrassing.

I hoped the women would be a true climax, but was left disappointed. I am still not sure what the Queen's Gambit programs are supposed to be about - there seemed to be an attempt at both I have seen so far for storytelling, but could not see where they were headed. Nugumanova's Little Mermaid lyrics were almost ironic in her position in the b tier - "I wish I could be part of that world"... Not a great choice that either. Samodurova's Mulan was no warrior princess. Khromyk did not leave any memories.

Alena's 3A was ok, but the rest was just bland and boring. What a waste of talent. Shcherbakova was her usual self (most of the movement was just copied from her earlier programs) apart from the faster break where I think she actually changed the expression on her face (can't remember seeing that ever before)... Valieva's Bolero is not a great version of that warhorse and if she misses a lot of the tech it turns even worse. She has a perpetually worried look on her face and I do hope she will at some point get a program where she can maybe smile or do sth else with her face. Tuk's SP was great but this FS seems a rehash of her past oriental themes. Doubt it will turn impressive even if she could deliver the jumps. Trusova jumped, but am not sure if that can be called a actual program. Liked the music, at least that was a little different.

Went for a walk afterwards and the foggy and cloudy weather matched my mood perfectly.

E

Skatesocs

Final Flight
The men were pretty dismal. I don't think any of the programs made a positive impact on me. Ofc it is still early days, but the choices of music/themes were not very promising overall.
I think you should watch Mozalev's a bit more carefully. He didn't perform it well, but there were several genuinely interesting bits, for me. I do agree it's probably because of early days with him and others.

Alena's 3A was ok, but the rest was just bland and boring.
To me, this is actually somewhat strange. I thought it was very structurally similar to Lambiel's program to Four Seasons.

Kostornaia doesn't have the same range of body movement (and of course, Daniil gave her a much more watered down version, with some moves shifted around, without care for tone or phrasing (and yet also managed to overstuff/Eterify it at points)), but I do wonder how it will look once she regains form.

Shcherbakova was her usual self (most of the movement was just copied from her earlier programs) apart from the faster break where I think she actually changed the expression on her face (can't remember seeing that ever before)...
Did it in the Satie/Firebird program.

Went for a walk afterwards and the foggy and cloudy weather matched my mood perfectly.
:laugh:

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Mozalev's costume and theme of violent colonialism were a bit of turnoff for me. I think I did notice he was relying less on his armography than previously, but that does not save him.

Based on what Alena has shown before, I think she could do so much more than what she is allowed to do now. She did say afterwards that she will be channelling Patrick Chan - a bit too young to remember/go for Lambiel? It was very classic but without any interesting movement or choreographic clues. No aim other than look nice and pretty (the movement that is).

Shcherbakova changed her expression? I might have to take another look though she is my least favorite of them all.

E

Reactions: lll

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Based on what Alena has shown before, I think she could do so much more than what she is allowed to do now. She did say afterwards that she will be channelling Patrick Chan - a bit too young to remember/go for Lambiel? It was very classic but without any interesting movement or choreographic clues. No aim other than look nice and pretty (the movement that is).
Well, Daniil isn't too young to remember Lambiel's program choreography/structure, lol. Agree this was very bland, though.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Mozalev always picks flawed/villainous and morally ambiguous characters for his programs. Rezanov, DeSade, now Columbus… I guess he finds it more interesting than heroes.
Hmm, had never realized this - he has always seemed a perfectly decent school boy relying on a lot of funny arm moves for his interpretation, not a sinister or villanous second in his programs in my eyes. Plus this was kind of more from a heroic point of view, don't you think?

Skatesocs - you are right, she smiles in that Satie/Firebird program. Though I am not sure how it relates to the actual program (I guess there is a back story and a reason to combine those two pieces of music, I just have never realized what it could be) or is it just because of her delight in the reaction to the costume change moment?

E

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Skatesocs - you are right, she smiles in that Satie/Firebird program. Though I am not sure how it relates to the actual program (I guess there is a back story and a reason to combine those two pieces of music, I just have never realized what it could be) or is it just because of her delight in the reaction to the costume change moment?
Don't think there was a story or real reason - Daniil's direction was probably "it's energetic music, so smile now".

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
It's extremely primitive interpretation since the book is very complex, mature, intelligent and metaphorical. I suspect it's not easy to find good enough translation of that piece though. There is russian tv series which would be easier to understand (still book is obviously better). However both the book and the movie is hard to understand fully for nonrussian audience since both are littered with pretty much untranslateable stuff related to cultural memes, references and satire actual for Russia society at the beginning of XX century. And even without that the work absolutely is not directed toward teens or even young adults. They just won't be able to understand it properly, IMO.
Lol, I was about twelve when I read The Master and Margarita for the first time (in a German translation with lots of footnotes). You are correct, of course the social, political and religious commentary was completely lost on me at that time, but even back then I found the story devilishly funny and extremely well-composed. I discovered a whole new layer to it when a Russian speaking friend explained some of the word-plays to me (starting with the names of the characters) and I have loved it ever since. My dream is to be once able to read it in the original, but that's still a far way to go. Until then, I'll take all the Master and Margarita skating programs I can get, and I'm already in love with Anna's - she is a wonderful Margarita. I'm not fully sold on the interpretation that the forces of good win in the end (they really don't), but we can go with love wins in the end.
Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed that Anna wins an Olympic medal with it!

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
You're wrong. Read Anna's own comments about her program. There is a "Vampire Ball" which causes the change in expression:
We were not talking of this new FS, but one of the old ones Satie/Firebird where she smiles when the costume change takes place at the start of Firebird section.

The fast part in the new FS was also memorable because she had to skate faster and her terrible crossovers looked ever worse than usual.

E

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha's Cruella was awesome! Because she's portraying the character, I think it may help keep the nerves at bay. It takes that much more concentration, and she perhaps can allow her body to do the jumps the way we've seen for years that she trains them. That's my take anyway. She's doing it perfectly. And that, combined with her Frida SP, shows the depth she's gained performance-wise. Brilliant work from Danny G!

I'm a fan of skaters doing the kind of content and programs that they like. I've always gotten a Nathan-vibe from Sasha, because she just loves to do as many quads as she thinks possible. The complaints about such programs being empty are, to me, themselves empty. I'm not going to complain about what the program doesn't have time to include because of the 5 quads.

A program is a communication between a skater and the audience. All the technique, including jumps, edging, transitions, and so forth, is there to serve the expression of emotion, story, theme, or some combination thereof. Because Sasha expressed the essence and story of Cruella, and did it with brilliant skating, she earned points in my book for performance, artistry. Everything that is elusive and not always able to be measured.

Beautifully done!

Skatesocs

Final Flight
It's extremely primitive interpretation since the book is very complex, mature, intelligent and metaphorical. I suspect it's not easy to find good enough translation of that piece though. There is russian tv series which would be easier to understand (still book is obviously better). However both the book and the movie is hard to understand fully for nonrussian audience since both are littered with pretty much untranslateable stuff related to cultural memes, references and satire actual for Russia society at the beginning of XX century. And even without that the work absolutely is not directed toward teens or even young adults. They just won't be able to understand it properly, IMO. In the sense of maturity if we compare it with Cruella program - there would be the same distance between them as between "Mermaid" and "Parfumer" programs (actually - much more).
Thank you for your comment here! :thank: I feel like a lot of the music and themes in skating are completely beyond the children chosen to portray them :laugh:

I think the interpretation and theme they were going for was obvious. The songs are well chosen, but don't really blend together particularly well. My favorite part is actually with Lacrimosa, with some memorable moments in the steps due to her performance, and I like the final two spin placements. I think it was potentially a good theme, but I agree it came off as primitive, with some transparent gimmicks.

The fast part in the new FS was also memorable because she had to skate faster and her terrible crossovers looked ever worse than usual.

oof :laugh:

Last edited: