Russian world champion team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian world champion team

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One skater finishing in top 6 would not guarantee 3 places. I think with one skater, it's a win or a 2nd place that guarantees 3 places. Sorry, but that won't happen for the Russians, even if by some chance Irina decided to come back next season.

IMO, the best chance for Russia to hold onto 2 places for next year is if Sokolova and Martynova skate at Worlds. If Sokolova doesn't get sent, Russia could easily be down to one place.

Kasey

Medalist
This is NOT about bashing Russian skaters per se. This is about reality check. levleva, Doronina, if they were in U.S., they would hardly get into top 20. Why should ISU give more slots to such a country with such a weak field? If Russia grabs one more slot, it only means the other countries will get one less. They will get more slots if they have better skaters, not depending on their past reputation.

ISU gives slots to countries who's skaters probably won't even make it through to the long program (i.e., Othman last year, who went with Lambiel). I repeat myself, yet again, if the team of skaters they send EARNS the spots, why the heck should they NOT get to use them? Period. But of course, you will have yet another comment to make about it before the team's been chosen.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doronina, Martinova and Ievleva are young, but not that young compared to Zhang and Nagasu, who are 13. Doronina is 16, Martinova turns 17 during Junior Worlds, and Ievleva turned 19 in December. All of these ladies are eligible to skate at Senior Worlds, but few of them have had much competitive experience.

The RFSF doesn't take advantage of its JGP places and often doesn't use them all, perhaps because they are reluctant to send Russian ladies that aren't going to bring home medals. But if they don't give their young skaters the chance to experience competition at a young age, then those skaters are going to go into tougher competitions at a more advanced age and still not bring home medals.

krenseby

Final Flight
One skater finishing in top 6 would not guarantee 3 places. I think with one skater, it's a win or a 2nd place that guarantees 3 places. Sorry, but that won't happen for the Russians, even if by some chance Irina decided to come back next season.

IMO, the best chance for Russia to hold onto 2 places for next year is if Sokolova and Martynova skate at Worlds. If Sokolova doesn't get sent, Russia could easily be down to one place.

It sounds like they're in a real emergency situation. If they're down to one skater for next year, it will take at least 2 years to get 3 slots! No wonder, there's a panic. That said, is Martinova even in the running for a Worlds spot?

risto1803

Spectator
This is NOT about bashing Russian skaters per se. This is about reality check. levleva, Doronina, if they were in U.S., they would hardly get into top 20. Why should ISU give more slots to such a country with such a weak field? If Russia grabs one more slot, it only means the other countries will get one less. They will get more slots if they have better skaters, not depending on their past reputation.

I don't agree with you. When the girl that didn't do anything, Katy Taylor, finished 8 at US Nationals, I think that Ievleva would be in the top 20. The US girls are much better than the Russians, buth not as good as you think. They are not even close to the girls from Japan or the girl from Korea

Last edited:

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Have you even seen Ievleva skate? Here quality and maturity on the ice might have possibly put her in the top ten at US nationals, even without a Lutz or Flip.

I will be honest, Russia goal in the ladies is to maintain their 2 spots, not trying to gain another 3rd for now. If these skaters perform up to their standard, then they'll deserve it, if they don't, they'll move back down to one spot. Simple as that. It's a rebuilding year, and hopefully some of these skaters will break through. I don't understand why some people are being so ROUGH.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Have you even seen Ievleva skate? Here quality and maturity on the ice might have possibly put her in the top ten at US nationals, even without a Lutz or Flip.

I will be honest, Russia goal in the ladies is to maintain their 2 spots, not trying to gain another 3rd for now. If these skaters perform up to their standard, then they'll deserve it, if they don't, they'll move back down to one spot. Simple as that. It's a rebuilding year, and hopefully some of these skaters will break through. I don't understand why some people are being so ROUGH.

Again, it's not being rought, it's called reality check. Have I ever questioned whether Russia should get three slots for their pairs or dance? NO. Because even their pairs skating is no longer dominant, they still have sufficient depth.

But in singles, especially in ladies, I really don't believe Russia deserves two slots. By today's standard, Sokolova(??) should not make into top 10. The only reason of her being in the top group in the past was because she had jumps. She does not have jumps anymore. Other Russian ladies can't even do 3flip, 3lutz. When 4-5 top ladies in the world can do 3+3 on a very consistent basis, this just demonstrates how dire Russia's ladies discipline is.

NO. I don't think Russia deserves second slot in ladies. That second slot should go to other countries, for example, South Korea, Canada etc.Canada definitely deserves third slot since both Joannie and Mira Leung have exceeded the top Russian lady.

risto1803

Spectator
Again, it's not being rought, it's called reality check. Have I ever questioned whether Russia should get three slots for their pairs or dance? NO. Because even their pairs skating is no longer dominant, they still have sufficient depth.

But in singles, especially in ladies, I really don't believe Russia deserves two slots. By today's standard, Sokolova(??) should not make into top 10. The only reason of her being in the top group in the past was because she had jumps. She does not have jumps anymore. Other Russian ladies can't even do 3flip, 3lutz. When 4-5 top ladies in the world can do 3+3 on a very consistent basis, this just demonstrates how dire Russia's ladies discipline is.

NO. I don't think Russia deserves second slot in ladies. That second slot should go to other countries, for example, South Korea, Canada etc.Canada definitely deserves third slot since both Joannie and Mira Leung have exceeded the top Russian lady.

Again, it is not up to you to judge who desreves three, two, or one spot. If they get enough points fot two, than they DESERVE two.

risto1803

Spectator

This is a complete nonsense.:rofl:
The rule is very clear about the slots. If Joannie and Mira can't get 13 points to qualify three slots, it is not Russia's fault. You either don't understand how the points and the slots are connected, or you just talk against the Russian's skaters.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker

Ummm as the others have reiterated ad nauseum, it isn't a slot that is given to you, it is earned. Canada didn't get the third spot--why? Because both Joannie and Mira screwed up during the competition. Joannie had a medal in her hands and rather than run away with it at home, what did she do? She gave it back in the form of falls.

What did Cupcake do? She skated the best she skated last year and EARNED two spots for Russia.

South Korea can't earn the extra spot because they didn't even have a competitor at the world championships last year.

Slots for worlds aren't given to countries because they have "better" skaters--if that were the case, Japan would have FIVE spots, the US would have three, etc.

If those other countries want an extra spot, and they want to push Russia down to one spot, then their skaters (Like Mira) will have to skate their best.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
If those other countries want an extra spot, and they want to push Russia down to one spot, then their skaters (Like Mira) will have to skate their best.

,which is exactly going to happen this year!! Russia will likely get one spot. What i don't understand is the fuss over Russia losing a spot. It really doesn't matter whom they sent to Tokyo.

blue dog

Record Breaker
,which is exactly going to happen this year!! Russia will likely get one spot. What i don't understand is the fuss over Russia losing a spot. It really doesn't matter whom they sent to Tokyo.

Well, even if the Russian girls screw up, your favourites (like Mira) will have to skate up to some of their potential and make not as many mistakes. If they screw up just as badly or worse than the Russians, then forget the loss of the second spot for Russia.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Sorry to push this even further........ BUT, Russia needs 28 points to maintain their 2 spots, which could happen, I wouldn't jump into conclusion that Russia will lose that spot. Yes, there's a chance, and YES Russia is worried, but at Worlds, anything can happen and there still a decent talent in the Ladies field in Russia, even if it's no where near USA or JAPAN.

Look at this: Sokolova tends to peak at Worlds, so a 12th place finish by her (which is very reasonable) , plus let's say a 23rd finish by another russian skater will result in (12 + 16 = 28 points), thus having enough points to maintain their 2 spots.

So this skate off is important in determining who will best represent Russia at Worlds, b/c there is still a decent shot to maintain 2 slot openings.

Kasey

Medalist

Then let them EARN IT, just like Russia earned it's two spots this year.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For Canada to earn 3 spots, the finish positions of Joannie Rochette and Mira Leung must add up to 13 or less. That means if Joannie Rochette finishes 5th, Mira must finish 8th.

It isn't going to be easy for Joannie to finish 5th, with Kim, Ando, Asada, Meissner, Nakano and Meier all skating well this year, and Kostner having won a gold medal at Euros. And it won't be easy for Leung even to break into the top 10.

The Canadian ladies must skate their very best to earn 3 spots, just as the Russian ladies will have to skate their best to earn two.

krenseby

Final Flight
re:

Sorry to push this even further........ BUT, Russia needs 28 points to maintain their 2 spots, which could happen, I wouldn't jump into conclusion that Russia will lose that spot. Yes, there's a chance, and YES Russia is worried, but at Worlds, anything can happen and there still a decent talent in the Ladies field in Russia, even if it's no where near USA or JAPAN.

Look at this: Sokolova tends to peak at Worlds, so a 12th place finish by her (which is very reasonable) , plus let's say a 23rd finish by another russian skater will result in (12 + 16 = 28 points), thus having enough points to maintain their 2 spots.

So this skate off is important in determining who will best represent Russia at Worlds, b/c there is still a decent shot to maintain 2 slot openings.

Well Martinova got 19th place last year and she has improved a bit since then, so she might be able to move up if she were selected. Does she have a shot of making the team. She is the only one of the new Russian ladies who had international experience by participating in the GP circuit.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking at Martynova's scores in the GP compared with the GP scores of those competing at Worlds, she ranks 17th, but those scores don't include Kostner, so let's say she'd still be around 18th-19th.

Leung ranked 14th (15th with Kostner included), just above Sokolova; Rochette ranked 7th.

Kasey

Medalist
Well, considering Sokolova smoked the competition and finished 20+ points ahead of Gerbolt, and more ahead of Ievleva, she's earned her way to worlds. Apparently, the second spot is still up for grabs, and won't be decided until Martinova competes at Jr. Worlds.

Griazev withdrew from the event with illness, so it would seem unless Dobrin breaks both his legs, it should be a walk in the park for him to earn the second worlds spot.

krenseby

Final Flight
Well, Martynova is a favorite of Piseev's. He sent her to Worlds last year and to the Grand Prix Circuit this year. If she does allright at Junior Worlds, she'll probably win the spot over Gerbold and Ievleva. Though Ievleva should have first dibs on the 2nd spot because she did relatively well at both Nationals and Euros.

Btw for anyone interested, here are the results of the ladies competition that are on a Russian forum

http://fsonline.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3174&start=120

SP Results

Sokolova 56.44
Ievleva 46.34
Gerbold 45
Turenko 43.48

Composite Results (Combined SP + LP Scores)
1. Sokolova 152.59 (95.05 for long)
2. Gerboldt 131.09 (86.09 for long)
3. Ievleva 126.44 (80.10 for long)

(Btw I don't vouch for these. This is just a translation from the forum that hasn't been verified.)

Last edited:

blue dog

Record Breaker
What happened to Ksenia Doronina? Is she also going to Jr. Worlds?