S Korea hails new skating prodigy, 11 | Golden Skate

S Korea hails new skating prodigy, 11

Taan

On the Ice
S Korea hails new skating prodigy, 11
http://www.todayonline.com/sports/s-korea-hails-new-skating-prodigy-11
“Figure skating genius,” was the verdict of the JoongAng Ilbo newspaper, while the biggest circulation daily, Chosun Ilbo, predicted that she could “rewrite the history of South Korean figure skating”.

That history is currently dominated by Kim Yu-Na, the former Olympic and double world champion who was on hand to witness You’s performance.

“She is even better than I was,” said Kim, who won her first national championship at the age of 12.

“I think her skills will improve further if she takes care and avoids injuries,” said Kim, who remains one of South Korea’s most admired sports personalities following her retirement after the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1HidEupUME

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
She is so expressive, fast, fearless and skates with such joy. Her spins and lines are on point, as is her jumps.

Barring any injuries, she has a lot of potential.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Thank you! It's very good news that that's before July 1. It also means that she begun skating when she was 5, almost 6? In Singapore until 8, probably not the best figure skating facilities? She also begun skating because she herself wanted to it seems... I wonder how common it is for a 5-year-old girl that it is her and not her parents that initiate it. It does feel like she's been doing much more herself than would be the norm. And she practices 8 hours a day? She almost has a triple axel?

I have a feeling that 2017-2018 is going to be a very exciting season~

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Thank you for the article. To be national champion in anything, much more figure skating, at 11 is a remarkable achievement. Congratulations to Young You (love her name).:cheer2:

I was struck by Young's mother's statement that Young "has learned how to overcome difficulties on her own.” Those qualities of resilience and independence will certainly be called upon by her in the years ahead. And I think it is no small thing that Yuna is there to counsel/mentor her very promising hoobae .

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
She is definitely amazing and shows geat promise for the future... but as with all young prodigies, we have to see how physical growth affects her over the coming years... and I also worry about pressure from the media at such a young age, especially if she is portrayed and perceived by the public as "Yuna Kim++" or whatever.

moriel

Record Breaker
This sounds like too much pressure on poor korean skaters.
Every time one skates well, there is a bunch of "next Yuna Kim", "new prodigy", etc.

Hope they stop putting too much expectations and pressure on the poor kids.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
The impression I got of her though is that she herself wants to be the next Kim Yuna more than anyone.

Perdita

Final Flight
I saw her for the first time yesterday and she is sensational! I loved the speed, jumps and the joy she projects on ice.
I prefer not to have any expectation for junior skaters, let alone novice ones as you never know what will happen to them in the years to come. But she is already a joy to watch as she is now, regardless of what I may expect her to become.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
What I love about Young is the attacked in her skating especially going into the jumps :yes2:

In Singapore until 8, probably not the best figure skating facilities?

Singapore is half the size of Los Angeles and has two ice rinks. One is Olympic size while another one is about three quarter Olympic size.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
What I love about Young is the attacked in her skating especially going into the jumps :yes2:

Singapore is half the size of Los Angeles and has two ice rinks. One is Olympic size while another one is about three quarter Olympic size.
So you can skate but it's not exactly an optimal environment? Looking at their website, almost every skater seems to be training in a different country.

I also wonder what her coaching situation is / has been / will be.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Having seen her skates, Young You has amazing talent, jumps, musicality and poise for an 11 year old. However, I think it's too soon to crown her as the next Yuna Kim. She won't be able to skate senior for another few years and a lot can happen.

I wish her all the best though, and hope she has a long successful career.

brightphoton

Medalist
Can't people wait until skaters have finished elementary school before hyping them up and putting enormous pressure on them? :palmf:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Can't people wait until skaters have finished elementary school before hyping them up and putting enormous pressure on them? :palmf:

Well, why? Just the fact that she completely skipped junior nationals even last season should mean something regarding her attitude... And she didn't win just some random advanced novice cup with 20 spectators, this was the senior nationals.

Actually, I really can't understand this attitude. "There's still a long time, anything can happen". Obviously, that stands for everything. But why would you predict something terrible to happen? If something terrible happens you re-evaluate, otherwise there's no reason to expect her to not continue improving. Obviously you don't crown her as the next Kim Yuna, that's ridiculous. She simply has the potential to be as good and it's not wrong to recognize that.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Still not a reason to overhype a skater because of only one championship.
We don´t know how she will develop and if she will
We don´t know if she will keep her jumps as she grows up
We don´t know if she won´t crumble under pressure
One championship is not such a big deal. Even a good season is not a big deal and does not guarantee anything. Look at Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova after Sochi, look at Polina Edmunds - the fact she won 4CC didn´t grand her anything. Look at Tukt last season vs this season.

Just really don´t see a point in hype a 11 years old as a skating prodigy and new Yuna Kim.

It is like taking an eleven years old kid that won some national math olys in his country and acclaiming him as a new Mathematics Prodigy. The kid may end up not even getting into uni later on.
I dont mean she is bad or anything, its not like her achievements are worth nothing, just dont get the point of such a hype.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Well for me, it's not about "not recognising achievement" (Mire, Hailey Shin)... and not about "predicting something terrible" (Shayuki)...

It's more about an eleven year-old kid potentially (repeat, potentially!) receiving the kind of media attention, pressure, expectation, fanaticism and nationalistic idolatry that someone like Yuna Kim was subjected to. Which was far beyond what most top athletes have to deal with... and also beyond simply celebrating their achievements, when they achieve them.

I just find it a disturbing prospect. Doubly so, when so many other skaters who showed great promise at an early age, struggled later with physical growth and/or pressure to deliver.

Can the people around her, or her federation, provide appropriate support and protection, so she can develop as an athlete... at her own pace, free from "excessive" attention, distraction and pressure? I'd like to think so, but I'm not convinced. Maybe Yuna Kim herself, with her experience, is best qualified for that?

I accept that my kind of viewpoint may be over-protective, but I don't consider that as a bad thing...! (Better safe than sorry, err on the side of caution, etc...?)

Last edited: