Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khaliavin | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khaliavin

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
I LOVED the mirrored turns/spin they do in the foot work sequence where Barbra sings "the old band is playing one of my old favorite songs." Kudos to the choreographer who constructed this. They made great use of using a slow version of the song and then using a swing-upbeat version to end the program . Using just one song in the RD works and standouts from other teams using 2-3 songs. Their arm movements and choreography are sublime. I can't wait to see what their costumes will look like. Are they using the Frank Sinatra and Count Basie version of "Hello, Dolly?"

I loved that step secuence too, it gives me thrills every time I watch it :jaw: Should we congratulate Zhulin for the choreo? :)

I don´t know about the music. The man's voice is Sinatra, that's for sure...

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Here it is the FD! H&K FD Nepela 2019
I think I'm going to like it but, right now, I have the feeling that the program is "not fully cooked yet". Maybe it was the (lack of) costumes, so black and dark, when the music talks about sun and light and warm breeze (at least that's what it says to me...) … or the failed lift that shows the lack of air.... That Najarro's choreo needs to shine more and it will! I'm sure it will!

They have all the season to work on it!

peepsquick

Final Flight
I was quite taken by their FD, even though I see how much work still lay ahead of them. They were mesmerizing at times!
I find Sara to be more polished than Kirill but they are still a "new" team and it could be a matter of finding his stride in the couple. One thing bothered me in the choreography: It looks like a "deconstructed" Flamenco but I miss a "release" in it. It has an underlaying tension than never culminates in the typical Flamenco "explosion" of movement. I miss that, personally.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I love their FD. To me is a masterpiece in the making, and they both look so comfortable with that choreography already. A problem in the lift, but they have time to improve. It's a great vehicle for them.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
I was quite taken by their FD, even though I see how much work still lay ahead of them. They were mesmerizing at times!
I find Sara to be more polished than Kirill but they are still a "new" team and it could be a matter of finding his stride in the couple. One thing bothered me in the choreography: It looks like a "deconstructed" Flamenco but I miss a "release" in it. It has an underlaying tension than never culminates in the typical Flamenco "explosion" of movement. I miss that, personally.

In my experience, conversations about what's flamenco and what's not, are interesting for the first 30 seconds, until the fundamentalists of tradition and innovators enter the conversation. Luckily, if you wait 20 years (more or less) you will find both factions agreeing about who the real flamenco geniouses are. Dorantes (the composer) is not Camaron (Flamenco's Messi or god, as you prefer) but Orobroy was published in the 90's, so nowadays there's no doubt about Dorantes' "100% real flamenco quality". And my deep knowledge of flamenco ends... not far from here. :slink:

But you are right, it doesn´t sound very flamenco because part of it is not. Orobroy (the flamenco part) lasts until the combo spin, then the violin piece begin and I don´t know what it is. According to Hielo Español, the violinist is Ara Malikian so the piece can be anything, part of his recordings, a colaboration with other musicians or even a soundtrack of a movie.

We'll have to wait for Sara and Kirill to tell us. :biggrin:

Tex

On the Ice
The second song in their FD is “Puerta del Sol” by Manolo Carrasco and Ara Malikian per Shazam. Sara and Kirill’s FD is gorgeous, sophisticated, and seems to be a fusion of modern dance and Flamenco that makes it unique compared with current and past Flamenco ice dance programs. I’m curious what their last lift is supposed to look like; it seemed as if she was going to stand on his thigh but her skate slipped.

aname

On the Ice
But you are right, it doesn´t sound very flamenco because part of it is not. Orobroy (the flamenco part) lasts until the combo spin, then the violin piece begin and I don´t know what it is. According to Hielo Español, the violinist is Ara Malikian so the piece can be anything, part of his recordings, a colaboration with other musicians or even a soundtrack of a movie.

We'll have to wait for Sara and Kirill to tell us. :biggrin:
The new GS interview (posted over at The Edge) features them talking about how they came to choose the music. Also, it turns out their simple black costumes are not the actual costumes... Too bad, I thought they looked really elegant!
Spain’s Sara Hurtado and Kirill Khaliavin talk about their first competition of the season—the Challenger Series Nepela Memorial—where they took silver. They also talk about their new programs as well as their goals for the Grand Prix season.

https://youtu.be/iTScRAwRvMo

What are your thoughts on their new programs this season? How do you think they will fare in the GP this season?

bramweld

Record Breaker
The new GS interview (posted over at The Edge) features them talking about how they came to choose the music. Also, it turns out their simple black costumes are not the actual costumes... Too bad, I thought they looked really elegant!

Is it really a flamenco or is it really a Spanish flavoured dance. I don't really sense a flamenco they don't really have the flamenco attitude. It's a bit too clean and sophisticated. Maybe it will grow in time.

Abril

Spectator
Is it really a flamenco or is it really a Spanish flavoured dance. I don't really sense a flamenco they don't really have the flamenco attitude. It's a bit too clean and sophisticated. Maybe it will grow in time.

It's flamenco but not the typical, it's something more contemporary.

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
I loved the new programs (the music of the RD is my favorite song of "Hello Dolly" :yahoo: ) and the interview they shared with GS clarified many questions we had as fans (I think the black suit was elegant, but I will expect to see the costumes that Sara and Kirill chose)

Finally there is an answer for the 2nd competition they will go to before GP Canada: CS Ice Star, Minsk :cheer:

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Here is a video, Making of: new ex-program.
The choreographers are (or were, not sure) dancers at Spain's National Ballet, they have started their own company and it seems that they key concept of their work is "fusión".
I'm not sure how this would look or sound like but I'm intrigued and I like that :yes:

:pray: Please Skate Canada, let us see it, invite them to the gala!!

Tex

On the Ice
Did anyone watch their exhibition program at Minsk Arena Ice Star? I LOVED it!!! It was different from other programs they have tried before. They used two versions of the song “Algo Baila en Mí” by Delaporte; it was a fusion of acoustic and dance-electronic versions of this song. This was another great collaboration they created with Spanish choreographers.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Oh, I didn't know that there was a gala at this competition. I'm going to watch it while the stream is available.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Well, I think it's a good thing that, this season, my favorite program is not the ex-program :laugh:
In fact, I still don´t know if I like their ex, I have problems with Minsk's streams, is it only me? It's just YT, it should work fine...

I'm really impressed with their scores this weekend (and with Olivia&Adrian scores too), I can't wait to see them at SC next weekend, I hope they can confirm those scores there and (finally) use the proper costumes!!

Tex

On the Ice
Right now, the link for the gala is still working. Their ex-program starts around the 2 hour and 23 minutes mark. It’s not something (the electronica-dance part) I would have thought they would skate too, but I think it’s great that they’re exploring different dance styles. https://youtu.be/QcUZqPimD30

Update: here’s the ex-program.
https://youtu.be/ZxltVIRI_Rw

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
...It’s not something (the electronica-dance part) I would have thought they would skate too, but I think it’s great that they’re exploring different dance styles. https://youtu.be/QcUZqPimD30

Update: here’s the ex-program.
https://youtu.be/ZxltVIRI_Rw

I can´t say I love it but it's great that they can explore new things in the ex programs. I hope that they will do it more often, it doesn´t matter if it doesn´t always work, it's a learning process, specially when they are working with choreographers with no experience on ice.

I think that the main problem here is the piece of music, the lyrics are interesting but the music does not help, it's not engaging. They tried to fix that with the choreo, but maybe it's too much "intelectual" story telling. I miss the "instint" and the "emotion" part, without it, there's no connection, even if I can understand the lyrics.

On the other hand, I love their competition programs this year…:luv17::luv17::luv17: