Sasha Cohen | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, she has almost done a 180 in the past two years in terms of show skating and presentation. Just two years ago she was nothing more than jump, skate, zzzzz. But as I said in the past, it takes time for the showy side of one's skating to develop, if you have one. Some skaters start right out of the chute with one, and only need to refine it. Among those are the luckiest (and unluckiest) folks.

But I digress, this thread is apparently about Cohen

Nan

Rinkside
I guess people have different opinions when they see SOI. I had on-ice seats at the show in Hershey, PA and we all loved Sasha. It certainly didn't seem like Kimmie had people eating out of her hands there, she was just so and so.

merrybari

Final Flight
I guess people have different opinions when they see SOI. I had on-ice seats at the show in Hershey, PA and we all loved Sasha. It certainly didn't seem like Kimmie had people eating out of her hands there, she was just so and so.

Must be in the eyes of the beholder, as my feelings in Hershey were just the opposite. I found Kimmie a delight and Sasha looking like she'd done this a time or two too many and would be glad to be done.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty

I'm not saying people didn't love Sasha. She got plenty of applause for her spirals and spins, especially. I'm just saying that she didn't connect with the audience. At all. It was like she was skating around in a bubble while trying to figure out algebra problems in her head or something. She just didn't look like she was interested in skating, nor did she even seem to acknowledge that there was an audience there. Kimmie, on the other hand, was smiling, making eye contact, gesturing at people, she was really into the performance. I'd say that she and Sasha were equally well received, Kimmie just seemed to be enjoying it more.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am surprised to hear so many say that Sasha does not shine at SOI. Watch any of her exhibition numbers from her competitive days and she sells every note of music. I have to admit that i was less than impressed the past few times I saw her on TV specials last winter... i think maybe she doesn't enjoy skating anymore and is doing it for income. Losing the Olympic Gold really broke her spirit.

R.D.

Record Breaker
In Baltimore, I'd say Meissner and Cohen were tied for the most applause. People will cheer for Cohen since she is the supposed "star" of the show and I bet a good number of folks showed up to see her in particular. The difference was the former responded to the crowd, and the latter was businesslike, just doing what she was paid to do and then leaving.

It would help Cohen, I think, to choose a piece that requires her to perform and at least show off her talents. The status quo doesn't/didn't accomplish that IMHO. Therefore, even if she fails to connect with the crowd on an emotional level, she can still wow with all the showy and bendy moves and twirls. Something similar to DROMP I'd reckon.

Fossi

Final Flight
It might also help Sasha to start working on her jumps. Kristy never lost her jumps and I think that was part of her appeal. Even though Kristy was a pro skater and could've taken it easy she chose not to. She stayed in shape and delivered the goods. For as much as people are paying for the tickets, they expect the performances to live up to what they're paying for. Sasha has a lot of work to do if she expects to return to competitve skating. I think she knows that and I doubt she'll be back.

rtureck

Final Flight
Interesting. Which show did you attend? I went to the Baltimore one.

Kimmie also came by our section for the hand shakes (but didn't shake ours). She seemed just happy to be there, and looked quite radiant I may add. As for Cohen I think she went to the opposite end of where we were.

Baltimore is Kimmie's backyard, I imagine people there love her. IMO show skating is not necessarily easy just because the pressure of competition is off. Skaters are on the road, they do the same numbers day after day, and they have to find the joy, motivation in them to put on a good show for audience, othrewise IMO boredom sets in, and it is treated by some skaters just as a job and a paycheck . When Cohen stopped competing or took a break from competing many people think that she will shine as a show skater b/c pressure is off. Even if pressure is off that does not mean a skater should give up their jumps and tech. I think Cohen wants Hollywood more than show skating, and her main focus is not even on show skating. IF anyone wants to see what a prime role model of show skater (or actually anything in life) look at Kristi.

Back to topic, I think Cohen will never return to competition. She lost her jumps, and some skaters from the younger generation has caught up or maybe even surpass her flexibility. I think if she does not work hard at best, she will be an average show skater. Now what she can do or will do at Hollywood is still an unknown, show business is interesting, if she wants to, she can hang onto that aspiration for the next 40 years, and maybe someday a huge break may come along.

tarotx

On the Ice
I'm pretty much certain Sasha isn't going to return to competition. She can't stay healthy enough for show skating let alone for a pressure filled 2 high difficult programs long competitive season. Last season Sasha had a major bout with a cold/ or flu like 3 different times. It pretty much kept her drained thoughout the tour.

I think Sasha should do a fast trick filled program so that if she isn't feeling good she can just removed a jump or all the jumps and it won't matter as much. Her two programs last season were programs that needed to be perfect with jumps to really shine.

I also think she should not be listed as the star because people demand so much more out of you when you get that label. Especially when Sasha doesn't have a Olympic or world title that allow for the star title even when one doesn't necessarily back it up. I think Sasha would be happier even if she wouldn't think that right now. She doesn't have the same energy in her personality to carry a show that has always been about personality. Scott and Kurt have a lot of impact just showing up let a lone in their high octane programs.

Last edited:

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
I also think she should not be listed as the star because people demand so much more out of you when you get that label. Especially when Sasha doesn't have a Olympic or world title that allow for the star title even when one doesn't necessarily back it up.

SOI made two major errors when they promoted Sasha as the star of the tour this past year. First, SOI has always been an ensemble cast and putting one skater "above" the others isn't what that tour is about. Second, Sasha just doesn't have either the personality or talent to carry off a starring role in a cast full of better skaters with more outgoing personalities.

R.D.

Record Breaker
SOI made two major errors when they promoted Sasha as the star of the tour this past year. First, SOI has always been an ensemble cast and putting one skater "above" the others isn't what that tour is about. Second, Sasha just doesn't have either the personality or talent to carry off a starring role in a cast full of better skaters with more outgoing personalities.

couldn't agree more. When I saw SOI it didn't really feel like there was A star of the show. It was fairly balanced in terms of exposure and cast. I guess they need to make someone top billing to sell the tickets, though.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
SOI made two major errors when they promoted Sasha as the star of the tour this past year. First, SOI has always been an ensemble cast and putting one skater "above" the others isn't what that tour is about. Second, Sasha just doesn't have either the personality or talent to carry off a starring role in a cast full of better skaters with more outgoing personalities

Sasha is a big name, and the an American Olympic Silver Medalist at the most recent games. SOI knows that she will bring audiences that normally would not see the show.

About her talent and personality... there really could be nobody better. She loved the limelight and loved performing. She does things nobody else can do on that show and is one of a kind. I do not think that Sasha has at all embraced this chance to skate for fun and perform as I would have expected her too, I feel that losing the Olympic Gold crushed her, and is reminded of that moment whenever she skates. Of course, there is much we don't know. she could be going through some things personally...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Cohen has never been a "loose" skater IMHO. She has always been tense and introverted out there. She does the facial expressions but doesn't reach out to the audience so it can seem like she's in pain or something. Sorry but that's how I see it.

There's only one performance of hers that I thought truly played to the audience and that's the 2005 (?) performance of DROMP at Marshall's. That was a great performance from her, and coming from me you know that's saying a lot. If she cannot find that passion every time, she will not be an inspiring show skater. Also, "olympic silver medalist" doesn't quite carry the weight of "world champ" or "olympic champ"; take that away and you don't have much left. Otherwise, better off pursue acting or other interest.

tarotx

On the Ice
Umm Sasha was still great on SOI this season. I went to see her at the Columbus Ohio date and it was a pleasure.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I guess it depends on the person. I saw her at SOI as well and she was just OK. I expected more from her, she was not my favorite performer that night.

(Overall, it was still a fantastic show IMO, don't get me wrong.)

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
I feel that losing the Olympic Gold crushed her, and is reminded of that moment whenever she skates....

Just my opinion, but Sasha didn't lose the gold, it was never hers to win.

The closest thing SOI ever had to a "headliner" was Hamilton and he had a personality that was three times his size. There is no way Sasha could pull off something like that. In recent years, SOI has had multiple Olympic Gold Medalists together on the tour and all of them pulled their own weight in the supporting positions of the group numbers. Where was Sasha in the "Hard Steel" group number this year? I really don't think she has what it takes to be part of a group and in the opinon of many who spend money to see this tour, that's what they are looking for, the way the whole cast works together.

A name my draw the public in for a while, but it better be backed up with talent. Consider the year Sarah Hughes was on the tour. Last year, people walked out of arena talking about the Chinese pair, Jamie and David, the Canadian dance team and Weiss.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty

I totally agree with that. I was kind of put off by the whole "Sasha is our Star" thing. There were other skaters/teams in the cast whose resumes equal or better that of Sasha's. And in terms of personality and star quality, she was far from the "star" of the show. I thought Jen Robinson really has that "it" quality in shows. No, she doesn't have the big titles to her name, but she can sell a program for all its worth. I definitely hope SOI is done with its "Headliner" promotions and realizes that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha is capable of beautiful spins, flexibility, and positions on the ice, but I have never seen personality or a star show skater quality in her skating. To me, she comes off as cold and internal in her programs, much like Johnny Weir. Christopher Bowman and Nicole Bobek, on the other hand, I thought always were very aware of the audience during their show programs. Their programs always captured my attention and they had a showman/woman, loose, and free quality to their show performances and the star appeal was definitely there in their skating. Weir and Cohen appear to me to be taking things so carefully, almost like they are afraid they are going to make a mistake if they take the attention away from themselves.

It's just another example of the old saying that "if everyone was the same, life would be pretty boring." Some people may prefer the internal styles of Johnny and Sasha over the external styles of Christopher and Nicole. I believe Paul Wylie also had that Cohen/Weir style while Kurt Browning and Scott Hamilton were of the Bowman/Bobek style. Neither taste or preference is right or wrong or better or worse. I guess it really depends on what the audience is in the mood for.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just my opinion, but Sasha didn't lose the gold, it was never hers to win.

I definitely agree. I never considered Sasha a favorite for the Olympic gold because I never expected a clean LP from her. Mistakes were inevitable given her history of imperfect LPs and the fact that she had never completed a clean LP in non-fluff competition. That's not a bash on Sasha, just a statement of the facts. The favorites for the 2006 Olympic gold would have to be the 3 World Champs who came in vying for the title, Irina Slutskaya (2005), Shizuka Arakawa (2004), and Michelle Kwan (2003). Slutskaya's and Kwan's health betrayed them and Arakawa was the only one of the medalists who kept her cool and was virtually mistake free, except for the 2loop. I'm sure Cohen and Slutskaya must thank their lucky stars that the 2006 Olympics was not judged under the 6.0 system.

Nan

Rinkside
It's just another example of the old saying that "if everyone was the same, life would be pretty boring." Some people may prefer the internal styles of Johnny and Sasha over the external styles of Christopher and Nicole. I believe Paul Wylie also had that Cohen/Weir style while Kurt Browning and Scott Hamilton were of the Bowman/Bobek style. Neither taste or preference is right or wrong or better or worse. I guess it really depends on what the audience is in the mood for.[/QUOTE]

There probably will never be a skater/entertainer like Scott. I saw Paul Wylie at many, many SOI shows and at a competition and he was just wonderful so I guess everyone has different tastes. In fact we had tickets for SOI and when he won a silver medal and turned pro he made his first appearance at Hershey, which was unexpected, it was a thrill of a lifetime for us and the arena just exploded when he appeared. He was in a show The Three Masters so he could hold his own with the rest of them. He skated with so much passion and I still miss seeing him skate, thank goodness for You Tube. I saw most of the skaters over the years. I loved Alexei Yagudin's skating and I would love to see Johnny Weir skate live. Hopefully one day that will happen.

Last edited: