Self teaching? | Golden Skate

Self teaching?

3dgy

Spectator
Hi so I’m new to figure skating, I might be starting my private lessons next week. But it seems that next month i have to move to Bali for a job. They just opened the first skating rink in Bali last year but I can’t find any information on lessons. I checked the website and it says lessons are unavailable or coming soon and they’re unable to give a certain date.

I’m thinking maybe i can learn some moves from youtube videos. Although, i know a lot of people are against it and it’s pretty reasonable. But i just don’t want to lose the skill i or not making progress during the time i wait for a coach (if they even find a coach to hire).

So what is the safest way to learn skills without a coach?

Girlbird

On the Ice
Hi so I’m new to figure skating, I might be starting my private lessons next week. But it seems that next month i have to move to Bali for a job. They just opened the first skating rink in Bali last year but I can’t find any information on lessons. I checked the website and it says lessons are unavailable or coming soon and they’re unable to give a certain date.

I’m thinking maybe i can learn some moves from youtube videos. Although, i know a lot of people are against it and it’s pretty reasonable. But i just don’t want to lose the skill i or not making progress during the time i wait for a coach (if they even find a coach to hire).

So what is the safest way to learn skills without a coach?
There is no safe way to learn skills without a coach. You should focus your time right now on building balance, strength and flexibility off-ice. Take dance classes. Do Pilates, yoga, and strength training (no need for fancy equipment, your own body will do).

mskater93

Record Breaker
Unless you can do a video lesson with your coach (and you understand EXACTLY how to do that), you should not self-teach. You will learn incorrect technique and spend a long time undoing it.

Vicki7

On the Ice
You can learn a lot of bad habits that you’ll have to spend a lot of time and money correcting later, when you can get coaching.

Don’t do it.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Self teaching is a bad idea for a lot of reasons. For one, you could hurt yourself. For another, once you start working with a coach again you are going to have to spend time fixing technique you may have learned online. Coaches are skilled and have certification. The random online youtuber doesn’t. The only exception would be skaters like Ashley Wagner who often posts really good drills in her skate and sculpt channel. But even then, you should only do what you’ve already learned.

My advise would be really focus on your basics. Perfect what you have already learned. Skating isn’t going anywhere.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Don’t do it.

It doesn’t matter who the coach is. I‘ve said this before, but a coach will be able to correct you in real time and figure out your mistakes. YouTube cannot do that.

So don’t do it.