Shibutanis sign with United Talent Agency | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Shibutanis sign with United Talent Agency

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
i hate arguments like this. You never see someone saying something like, "oh man the diamondbacks actually could have won if they had just hit another home run!" it's like hello??? This is a sport where you earn your points, if you dont win it's your own damn fault and if you win it's because you did enough to earn it

bravo!!!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I don't think signing with a talent agency automatically means they will have a career in the entertainment industry. It is probably their Youtube channel that gained the agency's attention. I personally know some guy who quit college and signed with a talent agency, and many years later, he was just doing juggling at local music festivals. It's not bad if it's just a side job.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
that is true - considering these talent agencies each have thousands of clients - there’s obviously a huge range in success of their clients in the entertainment industry.
Hoping for the best for them in their new endeavors and will be interesting to see what they end up doing!

As for there being a desperate need for more Asian American talent in the entertainment industry - I don’t think this is necessarily true. The director of the upcoming film ‘crazy rich asians’ John M. Chu has said that there is actually so much Asian American talent in the industry - and he was blown away by the auditions and tapes people sent in for casting for the movie. It’s more that there aren’t tons of opportunities for Asian American actors.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
If they want fame and recognition outside skating (especially if they don't plan to het real jobs) , they need to become less cardboard cutouts. Maybe they're like GG and just haven't dared to show their weirdness, quirkiness, neuroses and humour yet.

This made me laugh really hard :laugh: is there a list of "real jobs"? I would like to check If my current job qualifies as a "real" one :laugh: Gotta love the stereotypes :)

I have to say I am a bit sad that Shibs are sitting the season out, as I feel they have hit their stride in the last 3 years and with V/M now retired they could honestly fight for the gold and I would LIVE to see them on the top! They are absolutely brilliant and seriously underrated and underscored imo. For some reason the 'sibling' thing has been hurting them which is ridiculous.
That being said I wish them all the best, and maybe it's a good decision to try to milk the bronze Oly medal a bit while it's still hot ;)

saturdaysun

On the Ice
I don't think signing with a talent agency automatically means they will have a career in the entertainment industry. It is probably their Youtube channel that gained the agency's attention. I personally know some guy who quit college and signed with a talent agency, and many years later, he was just doing juggling at local music festivals. It's not bad if it's just a side job.

They're not just some guy, they're Olympic medalists who already have a ton of fame and endorsement deals and yes, a popular Youtube channel -- which they have proven they can sustain (all on their own!!) even while having a highly stressful full-time job that keeps them extremely busy. I'd say their chances are greater than some guy who quit college. It also depends on what they want to do vs. what that guy wanted to do. Was he an actor? I don't think the Shibs are trying to become movie stars, which yes, would be more difficult.

As for there being a desperate need for more Asian American talent in the entertainment industry - I don’t think this is necessarily true. The director of the upcoming film ‘crazy rich asians’ John M. Chu has said that there is actually so much Asian American talent in the industry - and he was blown away by the auditions and tapes people sent in for casting for the movie. It’s more that there aren’t tons of opportunities for Asian American actors.

It is two sides of the same argument. Asians are very underrepresented. One excuse studios give is they need "stars." But people can't become stars if they aren't given those first opportunities so they can become stars in the future. The Shibs bring a certain degree of star power with them, which could make it easier for a studio to say yes to a project they're attached to, and if they fill the project with other Asian talent, in front of and behind the camera, it helps everyone. Rising tide, etc.

I can't help but think that the main project that the agency can help the Shibs with is growing their videography enterprises and increasing their online presence as bloggers and Internet personalities.

Barb

Record Breaker
They should try to do something like Wong fu productions, they are their fans and friends after all.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
New Lynn Rutherford article on the Shibs with this mention regarding UTA:

There are other opportunities in the offing they’re not ready to discuss yet. Represented by IMG for figure skating, they recently also signed with United Talent Agency (UTA) for entertainment-based vehicles.

“(UTA) will be helping us with social media and other things that come along because of the recent success,” Alex said.

It looks like they're still represented by IMG while venturing out with UTA.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
So IMG for skating, UTA for other things... ok

That’s actually not all that unusual. IMG had a similar deal with their pro athletes like Peyton Manning. They helped with the endorsements while another agency was responsible for the contract negotiations.