Shoma Uno retires from competitive skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

News Shoma Uno retires from competitive skating

News

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will miss Shoma and his skating!

Such passion on the ice, such commitment to even the most unusual pieces of music, making them his own.

He has had a career that he can be proud of, that touched many hearts. Best of luck in his new chapter!

figureskatingandrainbows

It's Oka ShinnosuSLAY Season!
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
The international and Japanese skating community has been very active in wishing Shoma well and mentioning the impact he had on them and their skating. It's obvious that he is appreciated and will be missed by his former competitors and friends.

On a more light-hearted note, the GPF was moved to Grenoble today, and I've seen some people joking online that Shoma retired to avoid the indignity of disco podiums, cardboard medals, and the swimming pool rink :LOL:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am a long time fan of Shoma. What drew me in : his intensity in skating and his very natural and beautiful musicality. Never got bored watching him because he was always so passionate in his performances. The skating world is losing a unique skater. I was hoping he would stick until Milano and earn one or two more medals there. At the same time, this sport is so demanding, if Shoma felt he had done all he had to do there in terms of competition accolades (3 olympic medals, 4 world medals including two titles, a slam, a great junior career... 6 national titles etc) then, I feel okay with the news. I feel blessed to have seen him skate live a couple times and will always remember his gorgeous style : long live Shomagnifique !

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I count myself lucky that I have seen Shoma quite a few times, including the time he did the first 4flip! Wow, that was an experience! I will miss his artistry - best expressive arms in the business!

noskates

Record Breaker
I always looked forward to Shoma's programs. I will miss him. His transformation into an elegant but athletic figure skater after moving to Stephane Lambiel was truly amazing. I wish him luck. The men's competitions won't be the same without him.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was kind of expecting/dreading this after Worlds. I feel lucky to have seen Shoma skate in person 3X (Worlds 2016, Skate Canada 2018 and most recently Worlds 2024). He's always been one of my favorites even if I didn't always love his programs season to season. He's done everything except win an OGM (and two individual Olympic medals is nothing to sneeze at) and brought his unique artistry and jumping prowess, influencing others in the sport to combine the two.

I look forward to seeing what he does next and hope he continues to tour and perform. I'm glad I was able to see his electric performance to Come Together at the Gala. If you haven't seen it, you're missing out!

Last edited: