Shoma Uno | Page 1090 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

rabidline

Final Flight
He fell on the quad loop at the Asian Games. I remember that like it was yesterday. I felt really bad for him. That's how you get injured, competing when you're not really up to it. Ah well, such has been the skating career of Sho. And yet, despite that, he has triumphed in so many ways. His competitive will is truly amazing.
Yes, but Shoma got the highest GOE 4Lo (in that particular competition) at 2017 4CC when he landed his first 4Lo in competition (notable because the first person who landed 4Lo was there too and had lower GOE). You gotta take the small wins! I still remember his smirk after landing the first 2 quads in 4CC 2017- too bad the axel was misfiring there 😅 but then he got the 5-4-3-2-1 placement countdown for 4CC since the 2017 perfectly fits the "3" part of it.

Anyway, it is nice to revisit memory lane because no matter what the haters may have said, Shoma went through a lot of things, things that people thought can end his career, and still manage to achieve so much. Remember when before Worlds 2017 people were talking about how he's going to have a career like Kanako Murakami?

(PS. I love Kanako by the way and it was annoying how she and her career were used as backhanded insults to Shoma)

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He definitely didn't sound the trumpet and say "I'm gonna do a quad loop, I'm gonna do.a.quad loop" like others might have done. It was great. All of a sudden he did a 4Lo and everyone was goin' "Where did that come from?!"

BUT, quoting my post from Jan. 3, 2017:
"I have to admit that Shoma's (quads) were looking pretty good today. And he did two textbook perfect quad Loops, so good in fact that he and Alex did a fist bump afterwards!"

So it probably shouldn't have been that big of a surprise.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I will definitely be looking for it...Glad to see you're living in Martinique now. :laugh2:
I have been using that flag for a long time :) but here is an explanation

Figskater23

Final Flight

I was listening to this song and it made me think of Shoma and Marin. I could see something like this be a song that they skate to or dance to together for fun. It’s one of those songs that just makes you feel happy and excited for the future with the one you want to share it with.

Figskater23

Final Flight
Thank you for the translation of Now Voice comments!!!

That’s pretty sad that so many fans were not really excited for him during the 2023 World Championships. It’s always exciting to see Shoma skate because every time is different and because he is a complete skater with everything. I know I was completely overjoyed when he won. When Stéphane hugged him and said “wonderful! wonderful! wonderful! wonderful! wonderful!” while bouncing Shoma up and down in their embrace I laughed and smiled so big. When Shoma was on his back on the ice after the free style performance, I smiled so big too. That and his embrace with Stéphane has got to be my ultimate top 2 moments every in skating period and always will.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for the translation of Now Voice comments!!!

Damn, that comment really stings about people not being as enthusiastic about him winning a second time. Things became a lot more uncertain after he got hurt. Even though I believed in him then and sincerely felt he could do it, I still felt the need to go to various places of worship and pray... I was so relieved and proud that Shoma had not only survived but delivered a winning performance as he lay there on the ice. That moment felt so long, even though it was only a few seconds! The joy of that extra-long moment was something really special... I was quite glad to see Shoma on the front pages of a couple of newspapers (which of course I bought) as well as on the news on the local train's video display. I was glad to see his achievements being recognized in his home country, more so than in other places I've seen him compete. I hope Shoma's still proud of himself, no matter what.

(I strongly suspect that Japan's victory in the World Baseball Championship a couple of days before Shoma's free skate may have overshadowed the results of the World Figure Skating Championships in general, but perhaps that's another argument for another thread.)

Edit: I meant the World Baseball Classic, sorry baseball fans! 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
(I strongly suspect that Japan's victory in the World Baseball Championship a couple of days before Shoma's free skate may have overshadowed the results of the World Figure Skating Championships in general, but perhaps that's another argument for another thread.)
I definitely think so, especially because baseball is a major sport in Japan while figure skating is a lot more minor/niche.

I find it realistic though, that Shoma may have different feelings about his second Worlds victory. This is his first time defending a big international title, aside from his National titles in Japan and his GP wins (he has back-to-back Skate Canada titles of all things, LOL). He didn't defend his 2019 4CC title, and he just won his first GPF. So with new experience comes new feelings and emotions, and as a fan I can only hope it motivates him for more winning for the next season 😂

I mean, I do think the media coverage was pretty decent, but they can be a bit more hyperbolic about it, LOL. They have done it in the past. But I do think there is some avoidance to make the win more than it is, and well... after what happened to poor Mark Hanretty after basically saying a fact during his commentary, maybe that's for the best. At the end of the day, Shoma's closest friends and family seem to be very relieved about his win, and he managed to find happiness and excitement from other things, which is good (Luffy on Ice!!!!!!). Who knows, maybe a 3rd World title will bring different emotions 🤪

yesterday

Record Breaker
That's an interesting comment about Worlds from Shoma.
We ofc can't really know what was going on at Saitama and around and such statements are always subjective, but I really like that he voices his opinion on things like this now and in this way. He's not accepting everything the way it is and just "flows with it", but seems to rethink, analyze and - very important - also demand what he thinks he owns. Very champion-like 🏆

We can not imagine how hard it really must have been, not only at home, not only defending the title, with the foot problems on top. :bow:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was sad to read these comments too. The Japanese DO love their baseball though! Sho's attitudes were different both times too. Joy the first time around, relief the second time. But that doesn't diminish the value of the second victory. If anything, the second victory was even more amazing, considering the home pressure, his injury, the pressure to repeat. I still think of how his experience and poise pulled him through, in addition to that amazing competitive spirit of his. A bobble on the salchow, the combination that ended up having an Uno toe -- he never missed a beat and just kept right on going! Of course, seeing the first victory live was amazing. I'll never forget it. I still smile when I think of him joyously scampering across the ice after his flawless short program. He was so cute!

Maybe someone needs to start a Twitter hash tag with #WeLoveOurTwoTimeChampion and then we could all type our good wishes!

Figskater23

Final Flight
That's an interesting comment about Worlds from Shoma.
We ofc can't really know what was going on at Saitama and around and such statements are always subjective, but I really like that he voices his opinion on things like this now and in this way. He's not accepting everything the way it is and just "flows with it", but seems to rethink, analyze and - very important - also demand what he thinks he owns. Very champion-like 🏆

We can not imagine how hard it really must have been, not only at home, not only defending the title, with the foot problems on top. :bow:
That is true. The only one who could understand Shoma is Shoma himself. Himself or Stéphane because seem to remember him mentioning how Stéphane really knows him even if they don’t speak much English or Japanese together. All we can do is just continue to support Shoma however he needs his fans to support him especially being kind to everyone who is important to him: Marin, Itsuki, his parents, the rest of his family and friends…

Figskater23

Final Flight
I’ve only seen about 2 videos from the Uno dogs channel on YouTube in the last month. Did the Uno family adopt another dog? I saw a white poodle there.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’ve only seen about 2 videos from the Uno dogs channel on YouTube in the last month. Did the Uno family adopt another dog? I saw a white poodle there.
Not sure if they have officially adopted this poodle, but it is in their household and its name is Collon (コロン).