Short Dance NHK Friday Nov 11, 12:55 AM EST on IN | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Short Dance NHK Friday Nov 11, 12:55 AM EST on IN

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
The two kids have already showed their sublime technique or whatever. We don't need to be convinced further. Because of the lucky bronze last year they found themselves under the spotlight therefore this was the year of the step forward, they should have started showing the maturity and versatility that their older competitors have. Not living up to the hype at this stage is bad for their reputation. Elena & Nikita will surpass them as the young couple on the ride for Sochi, as the judges don't care for the Shibs' skating anymore.
Weaver and Poje are admirable for the inspiration they're putting in. They are believing in the World bronze and it shows. If they'll be clean, hopefully the judges will give the darn thing to them, at last.

Right.. Instead of coming out this year and knocking our socks off.. they laid a big fat egg. Gosh it's just disappointing.

missysays

On the Ice
I don't agree with all of the negative comments about the Shibs SD. Yes, the Latin dance style is new to them. Yes, they are siblings so they cannot channel the sexual nature of the Latin dances at each other. But for such a young team I think they are doing incredibly well with the style as its being articulated in their SD. Marina or whoever chose the music gave them a fun slightly 50s doo-wop style to their Latin dance. Something really suited to their age- it's got a sense of humor to it. Plus, they've got fire underneath their pure classical lines. Even in this last week, you can see that they've stepped up the performance level. They just need the full run of the season to really relax into it- this outing while definitely sharp and with more attitude than the last outing was still really careful. There's a challenging balancing act that the Latin dances have to have- I think Kurt Browning said it best when commenting on D/W's SD in the Skate America commentary. It has to be a mix of wild and controlled. I think the Shibs have done marvelously well in working and adjusting their performance and their look on the ice around this SD. Maia's more polished costume and hair means that they're aware of their image and the work they need to continue to put into it. I think they just need to continue to work and get the levels up and the PCS will get gradually a bit better.

I actually think their FD is more of a slight mis-calculation. It's a very young style and when they skate it they come off as even younger than they did last year. So in aggregate the judges probably have an impression of youth even though they're supposed to judge the programs separately. The FD is still fun and with a whole season's worth of work they will probably skate it very well by the end of the season but it doesn't make them stand out from the pack.

As for I/K having more of a Latin feel, I disagree. I finally was able to see a complete version of their SD and you can see that they're still struggling with their synchronization even in the dancing in one place parts. They are definitely more sexual in their presence on the ice but that doesn't always carry through in all parts of the program. When they are concentrating on the more difficult parts of the program such as circular step sequence they lose all Latin interpretation as far as I'm concerned. They seem like they're just trying to get through it. I agree with one of the other comments that said that by choosing V/M's music from last year you can really see the contrast between this team still newly from the Junior ranks vs a top flight team like V/M. They have potential but they're not a brilliant team yet- they need to solidify their technique and have more consistent performances to give them the confidence to really sell their strong on ice presence that they have naturally.

I really respect the work that Weaver and Poje have put into their development over the past few years. They are really pushing themselves and working hard at everything- technique and performance package. They deserve a good placement when they skate well but sometimes like yesterday they really lose it technically- especially Andrew- during competition when it counts. I actually don't mind her dress- it stands out as different and unique in a sea of conservative black. I also think that she's so thin, tall and clean cut looking that she counterbalances it well and manages to make it look not cheesy just dramatic. Picture that same outfit on someone curvier or more naturally sexual- even Elena I and it would look drastically different and tip over into trashy territory.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, but Weaver's fringed tiger dress DOES look cheesy. She looks as if she's trying to outdo Madison Hubbell in a tacky contest.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I too have problems with the packaging of Kaitlyn Weaver. Her makeup and costuming always seems excessive and overdone to me. I wish she would take a less is more approach for a change. She needs to tone it way down, JMO.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh: Nonsense. It's more likely that Madison ( of the lower ranked team )is trying to emulate Kaitlyn...but actually , I think it's a school strategy..a couple of years ago when some of their couples had rock and roll themes , I sometimes felt there was one set of pseudo black leather costumes that were being shared.

I strongly disagree about Kaitlyn's costume . It's bold and a bit brassy.. but that's one of the things latin dance can be..but it's well cut, well finished, not too naked ,not too cluttered. It may not be to everyone's taste, but it's very far from cheesy.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What's up with so many black costumes this season, in every discipline? Black is the new Black? Validation of the theory that somber colors and low hemlines predominate during economic hard times?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I strongly disagree about Kaitlyn's costume . It's bold and a bit brassy.. but that's one of the things latin dance can be..but it's well cut, well finished, not too naked ,not too cluttered. It may not be to everyone's taste, but it's very far from cheesy.

That's your opinion. IMO, Kaitlin's costume could have come straight from one of those sleazy shops you see on Broadway in NYC that cater to the sex trades. Just because it's a Latin dance doesn't mean it calls for unnecessarily gaudy costuming. I liked just about all the ladies costumes last night with the exception of Alexandra Paul's, which is too voluminous and doesn't suit her at all.

As for Hubbell emulating Weaver, umm---no. Madison H has always gone for the sex kitten/tiger look, going way back to 2005 US championships as a novice. Weaver started out with far more conventional costumes but crossed over to cheesy costuming only about a year ago.

Last edited:

missysays

On the Ice
Speaking of Alexandra Paul- she needs to let her hair down *literally* in the SD. She looks way too proper with that bun and up do for a Latin dance- no matter how civilized their take on it is.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Kaitlin's costume could have come straight from one of those sleazy shops you see on Broadway in NYC that cater to the sex trades.

:laugh: That's about the best description I've heard.:biggrin: The first time I watched their SD, I was so distracted by the dress I had to replay the video a few times before I could actually pay attention to their skating. It's a shame, because shes quite pretty. I know it's a look she rarely adopts, but simplicity suits her (like her FD outfit/hair/make-up for this season). Wish she would try it more often.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh::laugh:As opinions go..it's my opinion that my opinion is far more valid than your stated opinion.;)
And of course , none of us on these boards could possibly be accused of being opinionated...:rolleye:

Seriously, what I said was , if you go back and look at the K/C school..they are prone to using costuming themes for the school, and both Madison and Kaitlyn are costumed with a similar motif for the SD ( and perhaps , in a very general way, for the FD , too).It's not a matter of one skater copying another..it's a K/C brand.

However the sex trade allusion is right over the top and pretty mean-spirited .The cut of the dress is actually fairly demure as ice dance costumes go . I've only seen one costume this year that was distastefully sexual , which was the early version of Kharis Ralph's SD costume ( It has since become a bit more covered and while still a long way from tasteful, no longer verges on the obscene ).

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
I think the judging is on par. I/K had a really fantastic opening step sequence, and really sold the program at the beginning. It fizzled out somewhat towards the end, but their elements were for the most part well done. It's early in the season for them, but I think they can develop this program so much more. I love how they hit the beat so well in the Hip Hip Chin Chin section.

I adore Weaver and Poje, and I think this SD is a winner, but clearly, they had errors today. I hope Andrew can work on those twizzles! I have to say, I love this program for them.

The problem with the Shibutanis is that you can turn off the music, replace it and the dance will look the same. You'd never know it's supposed to be Latin. Particularly in the second half of the program. That circular step sequence? No relation to the music at all. They were impressive technically last year, but this year, they seem slow and not that special in the technique.

And the judge thing is just chuckie's usual MO whenever an American doesn't win. It's always a Russian/European/Canadian conspiracy.

In complete agreement

katia

On the Ice
"IMO, Kaitlin's costume could have come straight from one of those sleazy shops you see on Broadway in NYC that cater to the sex trades."
Oh, hell.
Katilin costume is sleazy, Tessa is fat. I wonder what is coming next........
On the other hand Shibutani are lovely only the judges (probably the russian and the canadian ones) keep them from winning**.
Give me a break!

** and I also think that Shibutanis are good, but I hate when some people complain about marks and make some snide remarks.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When did I EVER say Tessa was fat? IMO, Kaitlin's dress is sleazy, and apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
"IMO, Kaitlin's costume could have come straight from one of those sleazy shops you see on Broadway in NYC that cater to the sex trades."
Oh, hell.
Katilin costume is sleazy, Tessa is fat. I wonder what is coming next........
On the other hand Shibutani are lovely only the judges (probably the russian and the canadian ones) keep them from winning**.
Give me a break!

** and I also think that Shibutanis are good, but I hate when some people complain about marks and make some snide remarks.

The comments seem a little bit much. I think there's a way to disagree with the marks without having personal attacks or conspiracy theories.

I don't think that Kaitlin's costume is all that sleazy. Does it pop out? Sure. But slutty? No.

I am a big fan — if you haven't figured it out by now ;) — of the Shibs, but by no means do I think they should be winning. I had no problem with B/S win in hindsight just the margin of winning, I suppose. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that it might not be a completely bad thing if they don't make the GPF. That will give them time to work on their programs or even work on a completely new one if they feel the feedback merits it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Where's the personal attack? I said the dress was sleazy, not Kaitlin herself.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Ah, Teen Vogue, that bastion of excellent life advice!

Also, chuckm--Kaitlyn's dress has way too much fabric to be a product of those run-of-the-mill sleazy sex shops on Broadway. The coverage of Kaitlyn's dress is practically puritan in compared to the sartorial delights found in such shops. Unless you were referring to those shops that cater to more, ah, unusual proclivities--in that case, I would say that Kaitlyn's dress is bizarre than sleazy. No self-respecting furry would ever purchase such an inaccurate costume!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shibutanis won the FD and a spot in the GPF with 28 points. W/P make it too with 26.

The Shibs won because they were technically excellent in both SD (2nd-TES) and FD (1st-TES), while I/K had a great SP (1st-TES) but a messy FD (3rd-TES). W/P messed up on the twizzles in the SD (3rd-TES) and had an extended lift in the FD (2nd-TES)