Should JSF push Marin Honda as No.1? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Should JSF push Marin Honda as No.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Threads like this always ends up with bashing the skater and counting their flaws, what's new. The thread itself is so stupid though.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I am a big fan of Marin and prefer her over Satoko for sure (though i also enjoy Satoko's skating) but i don't think pushing her to be Japanese number 1 in her 1st senior year, over experienced competitors who have delivered time and time again, is a wise move at all. We have also seen what the horrible pressure of being JWC and kind of a star in Japan has done to her this beginning of the season where it felt she was crumbling under pressure. Finally she managed pretty well but still I don't think she is ready to be Japan's leading lady. We all saw what happened to Yulia in Sochi and after so...

However I think Japan should push for their skaters components in general. All of them. Mao and Marin getting 7s in PCS at their nationals and even Satoko getting mid 8s is a travesty when all other top competitors get showered with 9s and 10s. We see the effect internationally where those skaters with good posture, SS, interesting and well constructed programs get systematically underscored against the good jumpers with mediocre components.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
I agree with what most people are saying, let your own talent shine and results fall as they may.

As for people saying Marin is the clear choice for No.1 in Japan: She isn't. Her spins are really slow and she can be quite inconsistent, but she still has lots of room to grow. The Oly team is beginning to look like combination of Satoko, Marin, Wakaba, and Mao. Wouldn't count out Rika or Mai Mihara either.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The Oly team is beginning to look like combination of Satoko, Marin, Wakaba, and Mao. Wouldn't count out Rika or Mai Mihara either.

I really hope Mao makes it and does something special at the Olympics. I always wonder whether she would have won in Torino, since she was so young and carefree then. She beat all three medalists that year: Sasha and Shizuka at TEB, and Irina at GPF.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
To be honest, I think JSF will and should push for Mao Asada's heir. Whoever that may be. Unfortunately, none of the current ladies are as prodigious technically as Asada was at 15.

Well, Rika Kihira has landed a clean 8-ratified-triple freeskate which even Mao couldn't do (although she was close with her Sochi FS). Like Honda (or even Zagitova), she hasn't had a ton of consistency, but she's got everyone's eyes on her, being the only lady in the world at the moment who has done a clean 3A this season -- and she's just a junior at that.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Wakaba reminds me of Miki Ando- talented but veers on clunky and tacky

On the contrary, I think Wakaba is doing perfectly fine in the elegance department. And I'm not seeing anything remotely tacky about either lady either.

But if Wakabby becomes a clunky 2 time WC, I'd be perfectly happy :biggrin:

As for the thread question: no.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
As much as I dislike how people hype Marin to death and make her seem like she's the best thing to come from Japan since Nintendo :)laugh:) that must be said that her skating skills & expresssion are very impressive for someone who's still 15 years old. SP performance from Japanese Nationals was so gentle & musical that it was hard not to smile. It could be my favourite performance from Junior Ladies this season. :) I especially like her one foot skating with changes of edges right spot on with undulation of melody before 2A :) There's also that sense of playful youthfulness that is very endearing which makes lovely combo with program.

Last edited:

samm22

On the Ice
I really think JSF should not focus on pushing/hyping their skaters because we've seen how pressure can make them crumble. Especially with Marin being so young, I think it would be more detrimental than constructive. What I hope JSF does is continue to back Satoko whole-heartedly, as she's given the federation 4 hard earned medals at major internationals over the last 3 seasons (two silvers at Gpf, silver at worlds, gold at 4cc). At this point, with her hard work and her consistent growth over the last several years, she deserves the support more than anyone. As far as Korea 2018 goes, JSF should let the leaves fall where they fall and not intervene (and maybe make international judges award actual pcs points to people with choreography and skating skills regardless of jumps).

Marin is interesting to me. I think she probably has the greatest potential, and agree she has the presence that draws you in and makes you want to watch her. I don't think she's THAT far off on the technical side though...I mean she does do triple flip-triple toe in the short and long with double axel-triple toe in the second half of her long as well. I do feel like more height would help her but her technique over all seems decently solid (maybe a tad swingy but not terrible byany stretch of the imagination). Her skating skills and choreography are truly astounding though for such a young skater. That is truly where she shines. I do think her biggest problem as of late has been consistency, with the lack of clean short programs up until nationals, and some popped jumps (first flip in the long at nationals), and loss of spins and step sequence levels occasionally. This is another case to not add to the pressure she already faces. She seemed to get over that hurdle a bit at nationals, so we'll see what she is capable of at junior worlds. If she is clean I think she may be able to retain her title or at least be on the podium.

liv

Record Breaker
No. Don't push her. She has everything required to make it big, but right now she is still growing and stress is already being added. What she needs is to continue to grow and develop under the wings of another skater, ie. Satoko, who is very consistent and shows signs of being able to handle whatever is thrown at her. Don't add stress to Marin until she is more ready to handle it. Many skaters develop better when they have someone to take the heat while they develop and I think she would do better under this scenario. When she is ready, then she will step out from under the wings, but don't push her yet.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
As i've always said, federations should not push anyone and instead wait and see them fighting for those spots, because at the end of the day it's not good for other skaters, it's not good for the sport.

Also i've watched all her performances at juniors and i'm still not feeling anything about her skating: she is a good talented skater for sure, but nothing special.

Wakaba Higuchi to me, is a far better skater than both Satoko and Marin: she has the artistry but also big jumps, insane speed across the ice and she has the courage to try more demanding programs.

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
As i've always said, federations should not push anyone and instead wait and see them fighting for those spots, because at the end of the day it's not good for other skaters, it's not good for the sport.

Also i've watched all her performances at juniors and i'm still not feeling anything about her skating: she is a good talented skater for sure, but nothing special.

Wakaba Higuchi to me, is a far better skater than both Satoko and Marin: she has the artistry but also big jumps, insane speed across the ice and she has the courage to try more demanding programs.

I agree, I think Wakaba has a different style that is more pleasing to watch than Satoko and Marin's. I do think Wakaba got really bad programs this year tho, last season was when it was all right for her.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Marin should just push herself TBH. She has everything it takes to be JSF number one. If she performs to her potential I'm not sure any skaters are going to be able to keep up with her.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let this girl develop at her own pace. It will help that Satoko is the Japanese number 1 lady right now to take the pressure off of Marin. Her goal should be to make the Olympic team next season but 2022 will most likely be her time to go for gold.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They shouldn't push anyone. Let the skater's results determine who is number 1.

turbulent

Match Penalty
Marin should just push herself TBH. She has everything it takes to be JSF number one. If she performs to her potential I'm not sure any skaters are going to be able to keep up with her.
If Marin manages to perform few clean performances in a row, her PCS will go through the roof into interstellar space.
She's Ms. Hamada's beloved student, Japan's beloved lady skater and judges know that. :agree2:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
As much as I dislike how people hype Marin to death and make her seem like she's the best thing to come from Japan since Nintendo :)laugh:) that must be said that her skating skills & expresssion are very impressive for someone who's still 15 years old. SP performance from Japanese Nationals was so gentle & musical that it was hard not to smile. It could be my favourite performance from Junior Ladies this season. :) I especially like her one foot skating with changes of edges right spot on with undulation of melody before 2A :) There's also that sense of playful youthfulness that is very endearing which makes lovely combo with program.

her soft knees remind me of shizuka arakawa

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
No skater should be getting special treatment or "promotion" from their federation over their rivals. Period.

I see Marin's #1 fan has come back yet again...:palmf:

andyjo24

Medalist

It's sad that Wakaba will never get the recognition that Honda does no matter how good she is. It's like Miki being in the shadows of Mao all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.