Should More Singles Skaters Switch To Pairs? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Should More Singles Skaters Switch To Pairs?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think there are certain things to look for. Are the skaters able to take instructions? Are they able to cooperate together as a team, or does either of them prioritise constantly himself/herself... .

That's such a great answer! When it comes right down to it, I think that such aspects of character and personality that make cooperation a priority are much more important in a successful pairs skater than physical skills, which can be taught. Even physical bodies can be altered over time. (I really feel for the sister in your example!)

Bringing it back to pairs -- After Ashley Wagner stopped competing, someone asked her if she wouldn't consider trying pairs. She sort of shuddered and said that she could never trust a man that much. So, for the female partner, I think the ability to trust is a "sign" of pairs talent. And a corresponding ability for the male partner would be to create confidence by the way he lifts and throws the girl. He needs to communicate sureness, as well as respect and gentleness. The firm but gentle touch.

Another: some people only want, or are only able to depend upon themselves in any matter of achievement. Others like to be part of a duo or team, and thrive when a team can rise above what each individually would be able to accomplish. Those who believe that the whole can be more than the sum of its parts, and are able to translate that belief to their skating would have a great advantage in pairs or ice dance.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Awesome video, thanks @labgoat! :love: Madame Moskvina is adorable as usual...
It would be great if the ISU could do some more more of these informational videos nowadays. I imagine Ted Barton would be a great narrator!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
!

Climbing on the bandwagon. :) I watched three-quarters of this last night before my eyelids crashed; I'm looking forward to finishing the viewing. Madame Moskvina does two things that impress me: she makes corrections early, when they're small, so they're not hard to change; and she gives validations as soon as her students get a move right. "Good" or "Okay. Thank you."

On the occasions when I've been able to watch a long interview of her in English, the same thing happens. If an interviewer phrases something negatively, which can be a good journalistic technique in the right hands because it elicits passion and digs deeper, Moskvina turns it right around into a positive. Her English is awesome because she goes directly to the reason supporting the facts of her answers. And she validates the interviewers, bringing out the best of them too.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It would be great if the ISU could do some more more of these informational videos nowadays. I imagine Ted Barton would be a great narrator!

Tamara is just fabulous - great teacher, great motivator, fair and honest with her assessments, entertaining, gutsy, entertaining and tough when she must be and lastly smart. If anyone should've won a Gold medal it would be her.

Seven Sisters

Medalist

I really enjoyed it also. And did anyone recognize any of the young pair skaters Madame Moskvina was working with in the video? I kept wondering who they were, and whether they moved on to great things.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
I really enjoyed it also. And did anyone recognize any of the young pair skaters Madame Moskvina was working with in the video? I kept wondering who they were, and whether they moved on to great things.

Me too. The only thing I've managed is to recognize pairs skating stars. :biggrin: But the most time role model in the video were Yuko Kawaguchi and Alexander Markuntsov who won for Japan the first ISU junior worlds medal.