Sinitsina/Katsalapov future prospects | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sinitsina/Katsalapov future prospects

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Having your female partner fall from a lift (or hurt on another pair/dance element) can be a difficult experience in itself. The men know what kind of risks their partners are taking and they're trained, at least in theory, to try and break any falls.

Not that it's at the same level, but Marinin reportedly had a much harder time getting over the 2004 Skate America fall than Totmianina did.

I saw that in an interview, too, but Totmianina said it did not bother her as much because, having had a bad concussion, she did not remember much of anything about the fall.

I really don't think we can have confidence that we can correctly infer what either the skaters or the coaches were thinking in the KnC. People who know the cameras are on them are not going to be reacting normally.

bramweld

Record Breaker
That an olympic champion has to go through so much negativity is not understandable to me.

Some people act like Elena won gold alone at Sochi and he is horrible and unable to skate...

The problem is that he was the one claiming her indifference to the sport, instability and tendency to err. Even if you think this why reveal this information without due concern for your own frailties. His comments seem more applicable to himself at this point hence the ire of fans. Nikita needs to learn to be more tactful and respectful of his peers. He brought this on himself. He needs to mature quickly as he doesn't seem to have a champion's character.

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
I'm not really sure that his actions on the ice or in the K&C should be judged that heavily just because he may have been in shock. The fall and the abort were just plain freaky. That said, over the break up with Elena and the first half of this season, I'm not too pleased with the way he conducts himself overall. There just seems to be a lot of arrogance that will get in his way. Where as Elena and Ruslan seem to be working hard and getting the job done. I can see them as future champions in time, but not Nikita and Viktoria.

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
They are not going to break up now and it would be stupid to write the partnership off based on one skate, or how they acted in the k&c. I'm not surprised to see them, especially him, sitting there looking shell shocked - even just thinking about the scores, he's never had scores that low, even in juniors, and 8 months ago with Elena 67 would have been considered a slightly disappointing short dance. So the dazed and shocked look probably comes in part from suddenly having to re-calibrate the ideas of what they can expect to achieve this year.

There's enough there for them to become a good team, although for the moment there are still glaring deficiencies in her skating and expression, and his stability. The biggest challenge at the moment is for him to wait for her to get up to his level in basic skating, and not go all out when she obviously still can't keep up. He was at times really pushing her round yesterday and you could see it was causing her to make small errors, even before the fall on the lift unsettled them. He's got to accept that for the moment she doesn't have the skill level that his former partner did, and so he's got to dial it back so they look like a real team - even things like the exit of the twizzles, where he got right down in his knee, and she didn't, it made the whole third set look completely unsynchronized, and while it's a nice choreographic touch, if Victoria can't execute it to the same standard, leave it out, do something simpler that looks better for both of them. That's what will help them develop, and learn to trust each other on all the riskier elements. Then next year if she's improved the basic skating skills, amp up the difficulty, speed, power & so on when they've build more trust & understanding.

(If she hasn't really improved by the end of the season, and he's not taking on more of a partnering role... then I would start to question whether this has much of a future. I don't know much about Victoria, but Nikita has always come across as very ambitious, and I can't see him being happy in a team where he has to skate below his level to match his partner, or one that's constantly making mistakes.)

Last edited:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Some people think it might be better for them to break up or wish it - however, I don't think it will happen soon.

But on the other side it wasn't expected they might skate like this - finishing seventh in one of their GP events and finishing last in the free dance, behind couples they were expected to beat. After a disastrous free dance with a horrible fall and many more mistakes.

Someone brought Davis and White to this thread, but I think their situation was different. They had skated together for about ten years when they had similar dissapointment - with Charlie falling three times - and they were already well matched and knew the other partner very well. For them it was a bad competition, but it was a worthy experience and they could build their future events on it.

However, Vika and Nikita are a new pair, with a doubtful past of Elena and Nikita and they have to prove for themselfs. That they are better pair than Elena and Nikita. That they can challenge Elena and Ruslan. That they are as good as Zueva said. But it doesn't look like it for now, and Elena with Ruslan did a better job at their events. Also, note how S/K PCS came down since COR - 7 points lower in the FD.

After their FD they didn't say anything to themselfs and immidiatly bowed to the audience. It seems to me they are not matched. I know they were in shock, but it was like two separate people on the ice. Contrary to them, I/Z look very well together and I think they are very happy about themselfs.

At the end of the day, it was only their second event. It may not mean they are done. But their situation is not easy of course.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Some people think it might be better for them to break up or wish it - however, I don't think it will happen soon.

But on the other side it wasn't expected they might skate like this - finishing seventh in one of their GP events and finishing last in the free dance, behind couples they were expected to beat. After a disastrous free dance with a horrible fall and many more mistakes.

Someone brought Davis and White to this thread, but I think their situation was different. They had skated together for about ten years when they had similar dissapointment - with Charlie falling three times - and they were already well matched and knew the other partner very well. For them it was a bad competition, but it was a worthy experience and they could build their future events on it.

However, Vika and Nikita are a new pair, with a doubtful past of Elena and Nikita and they have to prove for themselfs. That they are better pair than Elena and Nikita. That they can challenge Elena and Ruslan. That they are as good as Zueva said. But it doesn't look like it for now, and Elena with Ruslan did a better job at their events. Also, note how S/K PCS came down since COR - 7 points lower in the FD.

After their FD they didn't say anything to themselfs and immidiatly bowed to the audience. It seems to me they are not matched. I know they were in shock, but it was like two separate people on the ice. Contrary to them, I/Z look very well together and I think they very happy about themselfs.

At the end of the day, it was only their second event. It may not mean they are done. But their situation is not easy of course.

That's the problem with these two. That chemistry or bond between the two is missing. She at times seemed totally uncomfortable with him and she looked like a bother to him. Someone misinformed them somehow of the real difficulties of starting a pair from scratch wherein the skating abilities are so different. ID yes demands interesting artistry but at its core it is a TECHNICAL sport, so they need to not rush things. They need to skate within themselves and gradually develop, otherwise their will be serious injuries. Without a doubt, they are absolutely shocked.

Marina really did them a disservice with the excess PR. These two need to take a two day retreat to rest from each other. Then, they can come back together and peaceably and rationally set new and realistic goals for themselves. Their team needs to work more and talk way less.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow, people are hitting the panic button too early. While I don't think S/K have a shot at making it to Worlds, I'm not really looking to throw them to the wayside either. Two meh GP events in their first season together is hardly reason to panic, even with a disastrous NHK FD.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's not panic button. There is no panic. Here you have two people who showed they can't be a successful team and is it time they recognize this and break up.

tulosai

Record Breaker
It's not panic button. There is no panic. Here you have two people who showed they can't be a successful team and is it time they recognize this and break up.

You do realize though, seriously, that they have only been together 8 months? Teams take years to truly gel. I think this conversation might be more appropriate to have at this time next year if nothing has improved.

Moreover, who is going to partner with them instead that would actually be better?

gmyers

Record Breaker
You do realize though, seriously, that they have only been together 8 months? Teams take years to truly gel. I think this conversation might be more appropriate to have at this time next year if nothing has improved.

Moreover, who is going to partner with them instead that would actually be better?

I/z gelled in a couple of months. If it works it works quickly. Everyone was doubting zhiganshin so maybe someone with a mediocre resume would be best for either. But I really think the problem with I/k was Nikita and the problem with s/k is Nikita and he's too inconsistent to be relied upon. So no team he'd be on would work more than once a season like I/k was only good once a season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Nikita's most recent interview, posted by AlexRus, sounds far more realistic than any previous.

He may be ready to really work on his problems now that he recognizes his faults a bit more. People can improve :)

chameleon

On the Ice
It's not necessarily true that if a pairing is going to work, it works quickly. Chock/Bates fell in both of their GPs in their first season together. Now in their fourth season they're US #1 and looking at the World podium. The way I/Z have already become to come together is remarkable- even unheard of, in ice dance. I'm not sure making GPF in your first season together has ever happened before, and if it has, it's very rare. S/K are just a much more typical new couple- falls, lack of togetherness, and other problems. With time, they may grow into being a very good team indeed. As long as they don't get too impatient and decide to break up, this could possibly have a future. They need hard work, time, and a coach that knows how to put a team together. A lot of people thought Kustarova was a bad choice back in April, but she has one skill that people overlooked. Due to her success on the junior level, she has put teams together many times, knows how difficult it is, and can set reasonable expectations. S/K need someone like that to help them succeed.

I honestly think it might be best for them to miss Euros/Worlds. Train hard, try to gel as a team, probably get a different coach, and come back next season.

Alba

Record Breaker
I agree with pretty much you wrote.

I honestly think it might be best for them to miss Euros/Worlds. Train hard, try to gel as a team, probably get a different coach, and come back next season.

I'm not sure about this. Not about the coach but missing Euros/Worlds.
It's not the end of the world if they do that, but I believe that competition gives you experience and the best feedback you can get.
So, even if you don't do that well - after all they are a new couple - competing helps and you can come back next season stronger.
The only thing they need to avoid is hype and high expectations.

chameleon

On the Ice
I'm not sure about this. Not about the coach but missing Euros/Worlds.
It's not the end of the world if they do that, but I believe that competition gives you experience and the best feedback you can get.
So, even if you don't do that well - after all they are a new couple - competing helps and you can come back next season stronger.
The only thing they need to avoid is hype and high expectations.
I feel that they could gain experience by doing a few small Russian cups, or other small comps. I suppose it's possible that they could have a break through in the next few weeks, but I do think it might be better to learn to come together as a team. While becoming successful so quickly like I/Z is the goal, it's not a harbringer of doom if that doesn't happen. Learning to skate together, building those basics, becoming a team, that will take time, and it may be best to focus on that than on trying to be ready for big competitions.

Alba

Record Breaker
I feel that they could gain experience by doing a few small Russian cups, or other small comps. I suppose it's possible that they could have a break through in the next few weeks, but I do think it might be better to learn to come together as a team. While becoming successful so quickly like I/Z is the goal, it's not a harbringer of doom if that doesn't happen. Learning to skate together, building those basics, becoming a team, that will take time, and it may be best to focus on that than on trying to be ready for big competitions.

That's true also. :thumbsup:

tulosai

Record Breaker
A lot of people thought Kustarova was a bad choice back in April, but she has one skill that people overlooked. Due to her success on the junior level, she has put teams together many times, knows how difficult it is, and can set reasonable expectations. S/K need someone like that to help them succeed.

This is actually a really good insight.

Meoima

Match Penalty
A lot of people thought Kustarova was a bad choice back in April, but she has one skill that people overlooked. Due to her success on the junior level, she has put teams together many times, knows how difficult it is, and can set reasonable expectations. S/K need someone like that to help them succeed.
I have to say Elena is amazing. Right after being dumped, she has found a reliable nee coach who is strong at technqiue, a reliable partner who is caring, and reliable choreographers all on her own. :shocked:
I know this thread is about S/K but still... Wow!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is also true that early success of a new team doesn't necessarily translate to long term success and cntinuous improvement. In the US, Hubbell & Donohue came together much faster than Chock and Bates, going to Worlds before C&B. The team that has a goal and keeps working toward it may do very well indeed, even if the early days are difficult.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
That's true. This is only the beginning. It's marathon not a sprint.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Alba you are so right. This is a marathon and not a sprint. I/Z have made a good first immpression and thats it, but I do hope they continue to improve. I'd say however Ilinykh and Zhiganshin are more than ready for this next four year cycle all things being well that is.

Last edited: