Skaters who remind us of “parts of ourselves”—Discuss! | Golden Skate

Skaters who remind us of “parts of ourselves”—Discuss!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
In a comment to their Worlds preview, the Skating Lesson suggested that “most people like skaters who remind them of parts of themselves.” I’m not a huge fan of Dave Lease & company, but I think they may be on to something here. It might help to explain some of the very passionate opinions we see posted on here sometimes.

Who agrees? And if you do, anyone want to share what skater reminds you of a part of yourself? :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, interesting thought, but maybe that is more aspirational than actual.

I could only hope to be as cheerful, positive and optimistic as Jason, instead of being a miserable old cuss.:biggrin:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I like Japanese skaters because they remind me of myself because I think they’re very pretty. Handsome. Hot. Plus I like shiny and sparkly and colorful costumes, which most of them seem to like, too.

*sits back and waits for the “skater X is my soulmate” reactions to pour in* Just/kidding. Come on, let’s be honest here, how many are here simply for Pretty with capital P? Okay, and we like skating, too?

So, no, cannot say I agree with that idea.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The first skater that made me think my dance classes would pay off was actually Robin Cousins. He was a big skater in the late 70's and early 80's when I was dancing alot and skating alot. I remember thinking, if I were a skater that's what I'd want my programs to look like. I don't see myself in Todd, Plushy, or Patrick but, I sure do love them!!!

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Some of them yes. but I very much doubt that would explain the biggest fan bases for Yuna, Yuzuru, Plushy, Takahashi...

My suspicion is that the the first two especially look so much like they could come straight out of the fantasy-dramas currently popular, and that it's less they remind us of ourselves as our favourite heroic inspirational creations (Dai probably could too, now I think on it)

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmmm, I get the idea (although TSL is the work of the devil), but I'd say the opposite is true in my case. I love lots of different skaters but they do all have one thing in common...they're braver than I'd ever be!

Like obviously they must have fears and be nervous when competing, but they're able to overcome this and go for it.

As someone who has anxiety this impresses me a lot :) Perhaps I should use it as encouragement...WWPD? ;) :laugh:

Having said that I do also love a lot of smiley skaters and I'm pretty smiley so maybe there's some truth there :p

readernick

Medalist
I think that comment by TSL ( who I generally hate, but I watched the preview because I like Megan D.) is true when it comes to a lot of former competitive skaters. Megan likes Kaori and Sasha. Two skaters who aren't very refined but who are determined, hard-working, exciting, and powerful ( rather like Megan herself) I, on the other hand, am attracted to skater's with qualities that I lack. All my favorite skaters have great posture, self confidence, self motivation, and grace. I sadly lack these qualities, especially the good posture.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Rika doesn't remind me of myself at all but rather she's the embodiment of a child I would raise. That's why watching her skate is such an agonising, nerve wracking experience for me. I'm the ultimate tiger mum when it comes to Rika. I'm overly invested, to the point where I have trouble talking about her on forums even.

Kamila is everything I would want to be if I was a figure skater. Talented, beautiful, graceful, plethora of high value jumps, insane flexibility, adorable expressions.

lizardlass

On the Ice
This is interesting!

I was a big fan of Kimmie Meissner, and I think that had something to do with relating to her. She always seemed shy/introverted, but determined and hardworking. I like Bradie a lot for similar reasons. A lot of the introverted and/or nervous (seeming) skaters just tug more at my heartstrings.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Rika doesn't remind me of myself at all but rather she's the embodiment of a child I would raise. That's why watching her skate is such an agonising, nerve wracking experience for me. I'm the ultimate tiger mum when it comes to Rika. I'm overly invested, to the point where I have trouble talking about her on forums even.

Kamila is everything I would want to be if I was a figure skater. Talented, beautiful, graceful, plethora of high value jumps, insane flexibility, adorable expressions.
I am the same way. About Rika and other Japanese skaters. And they remind me that there is this good part of me that would like to believe if I had kids/grandkids that turned out like they did, (and they will turn out just fine because of who they are) I did do something really special for the world. I would also like to have Jason Brown for a son.
jason brown small.jpg

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Wow, interesting thought, but maybe that is more aspirational than actual.

I don't think TSL has figured out anything new... I posted something similar in the RLT a bit back https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...es-figure-skating.85832/page-870#post-2708900

I think the "attraction" part can be traced to people finding "friendship" in celebrities and basically projecting whatever personality they want onto them.

Going back to conversations with my friend (who pointed this out to me), it's also to do with people treating their favorites as the "better/ideal version" of themselves. They also tend to associate the values they hold dear with the skaters. The example we discussed was that Hanyu's femininity/androgynity might appeal to people who value gender non-conformity, and so on.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ice dancer Jennifer Wester . She and I both love skating and target shooting, both of us started shooting competitively way before loving skating. The only difference is she held 20 silhouette records at one time and set 17 of them in one day while she was skating in Delaware. And I didnt. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Ok, there MAY be some other differences between us....
Jennifer+Wester+ISU+Four+Continents+Figure+Zndn5TZcjh1x.jpg

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am the same way. About Rika and other Japanese skaters. And they remind me that there is this good part of me that would like to believe if I had kids/grandkids that turned out like they did, (and they will turn out just fine because of who they are) I did do something really special for the world. I would also like to have Jason Brown for a son.
View attachment 3450
I absolutely LOVE this picture!!!!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In a comment to their Worlds preview, the Skating Lesson suggested that “most people like skaters who remind them of parts of themselves.” I’m not a huge fan of Dave Lease & company, but I think they may be on to something here. It might help to explain some of the very passionate opinions we see posted on here sometimes.

Who agrees? And if you do, anyone want to share what skater reminds you of a part of yourself? :)
1. I do agree. The skaters I identify with and feel passionate about (and I have so many!) are the ones who have a passionate connection with their music and their audiences. I'm a performing musician. Communication of feelings through my music has always been what drew me to music, and it grew more vital the longer I've played. So I really don't get excited about figure skaters unless they have that talent of transforming movement into music and Making Me Feel. Skaters have to give me their heart and soul.

Mishina/Galliamov - I identify with their classical and yet quirky style! I :love: it. Cain-Gribble/Leduc - I identify with their love for being part of a team. They have this because they're a duo like every pair and dancer ... but I think being part of a team, whether it's the Nina Mozer camp group or the US team going to international events, gives them an extra fillip to being the best skaters they can be. Both teams thrill me.

2. The other side of the question, as is shown from the answers above, is that some people love the skaters they admire for a set of qualities or talents that the fans feel they lack or would like to have more of. Or maybe their favorites inspire them to develop the qualities they admire.

This thread is interesting and fun to read!