Skaters whose ballet training has paid off | Golden Skate

Skaters whose ballet training has paid off

camion

On the Ice
Sasha Cohen- crazy flexibility and great posture. I think most top skaters @ one point or another did some off ice ballet training though, right?

ks777

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen- crazy flexibility and great posture. I think most top skaters @ one point or another did some off ice ballet training though, right?

probably not Fumie. I can't see any stretch in her posture.

dancingqueen

On the Ice
Ladies - Yukina Ota, Oksana Baiul, ( Though I don't know they have ever trained ballet or not. But they are really great. )

Men - Emanuel Sandhu, Johnny Weir

Mao & Mai Asada are also good. Mai may care more for sensitive detailed subtle movements.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kurt Browning, Jeff Buttle, Shawn Sawyer.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I second the Kurt Browning - not only did it pay off on the ice, it really helped his personal life out, too! ;)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
All the russian dance and pair teams have been doing extensive ballet training since babyhood giving them those lines and elegance that always give them that extra edge.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
All the russian dance and pair teams have been doing extensive ballet training since babyhood giving them those lines and elegance that always give them that extra edge.

The top Russian teams always had beautiful lines.:love: That really set them apart from other teams who could match them technically, but not artistically.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Karen Magnussen - She had the best carriage when she skated; one could tell she had ballet training.

feraina

Record Breaker
Caroline Zhang! :love: She has a GREAT new exhibition program, which she debuted at TEB. The video is already up at YT.

I really believe any kind of dance training including acrobatic training as well as Spanish, Tap, and Modern Dances will help. Acrobatic dancing is the oldest form a dance and it was always taught with beautiful line.

Kypma

Final Flight
I'm pretty sure Tessa Virtue trained in ballet for awhile.

I think she's done ballet since she was a small kid -- by age 9 (?) The National Ballet wanted her to perform with them, but she chose to ice dance. Tracy Wilson said that during their 2004 Nationals Free Dance. Also, I think she still does ballet, as does Scott, though, for him, it's purely for skating (as said in a GoldenSkate interview).

-Kypma

Bennett

Record Breaker
Thanks, John King.

I think she's done ballet since she was a small kid -- by age 9 (?) The National Ballet wanted her to perform with them, but she chose to ice dance. Tracy Wilson said that during their 2004 Nationals Free Dance. Also, I think she still does ballet, as does Scott, though, for him, it's purely for skating (as said in a GoldenSkate interview).

-Kypma

You mean she got an offer from a ballet company (not a ballet school)? If so, starting at 9 (instead of 3 or 4) and invited even before 15 would have been so extremely good.