Skating Ratings Shock Espn (Hirsh article) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating Ratings Shock Espn (Hirsh article)

jozmen01

Rinkside
ESPN ratings

soogar said:
Skating went down the tubes when CBS stopped covering worlds. CBS had the best figure skating coverage of the big 3 networks b/c it showcased all the top 6 skaters and it was unbiased coverage. They had fluff pieces on skaters from lots of countries and on their wrap up show, they would show up and comers from other countries. The commentary was unbiased as well. That was when Scott and Verne Lundquist worked together and Scott was quite impartial back then. It seemed that when he paired up with Sandra Bezic a few years later, her pro Canadian/NA bs rubbed off on him.

I never cared for ABC's coverage and quite frankly, I never got into the Dick/Peggy combo commentary. ABC's coverage has been getting steadily worse through the years. Last year they chacked Stephane Lambiel of all people and showed Jenny's 3 falls. The only thing ABC has good coverage of is Nationals. They never get it right for Worlds.

However ABC is so much better than NBC and ESPN with the figure skating coverage. ESPN's figure skating coverage was poorly thought out and as cheaply done as possible. As a figure skating fan, I can tell they put absolutely no care or committment to their figure skating coverage. Skating is a performance sport and no one wants to hear warning chimes and then have the screen shortened during a performance so that way the station can flash sports scores! Also the audio on the commentary was fairly poor as well. Their coverage of the GP and Worlds was a huge disappointment.

The station that had the best coverage of the GP events was FOX when they had it in the 97-98 season. What fantastic coverage! They actually showed all the skaters in all the events.

As for ESPN b!tching about streaming video, maybe they need to get online and see what the fans are doing. The fans are downloading programs as the event is occurring b/c they want the coverage as close to the event as possible, want to see all the skaters, and want an event that is covered professionally (by Europort, Chinese TV etc) and doesn't reek of being a cheap afterthought. I don't even tape skating events anymore b/c what I get online is so much better. I would prefer to see the event on a big TV but I'm not wasting tape on ESPN coverage!

I also want to add that NBC's biased coverage of the pairs event ruined figure skating. I am tired of hearing all the b!tching about the scoring system. I think most people who tune in just want to see skating and not hear all the controversy. There's enough turmoil in the world without getting folks all worked up about a figure skating result.

The chimes drove me nuts. And then there was the shortened screen. I don't personally care for basketball, and did not care what the scores were for the NCAA. And they were repeated over and over. ESPN should think about their coverage - maybe how they covered the Worlds is why so many did not watch!

Eeyora

Final Flight
I actually think ABC had the best Worlds coverage in 1996. Which was three hours mens and pairs on Thursday night. Two Hours of ladies short programs on Saturday afternoon. Then three hours Saturday night, ladies free and dance. Then the following Saturday night in primetime were the exhibitions.

As soon as I heard worlds were to be oposite final four Basketball I cringed. I new the ratings wouldn't be good.

But where was the promotion? All they had were commercial with floating leaves down a creek? They could have used the big names.Five time World champ Michelle Kwan coming off of her ninth National chjampionship versus Olympic Silver Medalist Irina Slutskaya undefeated this season and put Sasha and Shizuka in the mix as well. I would have put T/M in some promos as well "a couragious return to the ice" The fall did make mainstream news.

I have a feeling Speedy is getting his wish of an underground sport. If so few skaters are shown and we have no knowledgable yet vocal commentators. No one will find the results unfair.

I would rather listen to Dick Button any day who at leats backs up his opinions to Scott Hamilton on NBC.

Vash01

Medalist
soogar said:
Skating went down the tubes when CBS stopped covering worlds. CBS had the best figure skating coverage of the big 3 networks b/c it showcased all the top 6 skaters and it was unbiased coverage. They had fluff pieces on skaters from lots of countries and on their wrap up show, they would show up and comers from other countries. The commentary was unbiased as well. That was when Scott and Verne Lundquist worked together and Scott was quite impartial back then. It seemed that when he paired up with Sandra Bezic a few years later, her pro Canadian/NA bs rubbed off on him.

I never cared for ABC's coverage and quite frankly, I never got into the Dick/Peggy combo commentary. ABC's coverage has been getting steadily worse through the years. Last year they chacked Stephane Lambiel of all people and showed Jenny's 3 falls. The only thing ABC has good coverage of is Nationals. They never get it right for Worlds.

However ABC is so much better than NBC and ESPN with the figure skating coverage. ESPN's figure skating coverage was poorly thought out and as cheaply done as possible. As a figure skating fan, I can tell they put absolutely no care or committment to their figure skating coverage. Skating is a performance sport and no one wants to hear warning chimes and then have the screen shortened during a performance so that way the station can flash sports scores! Also the audio on the commentary was fairly poor as well. Their coverage of the GP and Worlds was a huge disappointment.

The station that had the best coverage of the GP events was FOX when they had it in the 97-98 season. What fantastic coverage! They actually showed all the skaters in all the events.

As for ESPN b!tching about streaming video, maybe they need to get online and see what the fans are doing. The fans are downloading programs as the event is occurring b/c they want the coverage as close to the event as possible, want to see all the skaters, and want an event that is covered professionally (by Europort, Chinese TV etc) and doesn't reek of being a cheap afterthought. I don't even tape skating events anymore b/c what I get online is so much better. I would prefer to see the event on a big TV but I'm not wasting tape on ESPN coverage!

I also want to add that NBC's biased coverage of the pairs event ruined figure skating. I am tired of hearing all the b!tching about the scoring system. I think most people who tune in just want to see skating and not hear all the controversy. There's enough turmoil in the world without getting folks all worked up about a figure skating result.

ITA. First they tell the viewers that the sport is no good, the judging is usually corrupt, so why would they want to see it in the first place? The die hard fans watch it anyway, if they have cable, and they find poor coverage. There were so many fluff pieces and commercials it was painful to watch. ESPN hit the bottom when Kimmie Meissner was interviewed while Miki Ando was skating her SP. It was one of the worst things I have seen in commentating, although not THE worst thing.

The number of skaters they showed was very small. Just 4 pairs in the pairs event, plus the two US pairs! Why could we not see Obertas-Slavnov and Savchenko-Szolnky (sp?)? There were so many talented young ladies but all we saw were the top 6. No Poykio, Rochette, Sokolova, and so on.

If espn had actually showed the competition the day it took place, the way the Canadian network did, perhaps more people would have watched it. On Thursday espn first showed the announcement that Plushenko had withdrawn, and then they proceeded to show the mens short programs that had taken place two days earlier. Totally ridiculous.

I don't think Dick Button's absence had anything to do with the low ratings. ESPN needs to take a cold hard look at the quality of their programs. I agree- CBS used to be much better. ABC used to be tolerable compared to NBC. One good thing in the espn telecast was that Peter Carruthers was back in the commentators booth. I would rather listen to his explanation of different pairs moves than Button's gushing over his favorites.Actually Button is not bad, but Peter is better for pairs. In any case the low ratings were not due to the commentators (with the exception of Kimmie Meissner- I was ready to turn the TV off at that point) but rather because espn did not show that much skating and whatever they showed was way too late.

Vash

Last edited:
Certainly there are lots of ways that the television networks could improve their coverage of figure skating. They know this as well as we do. The most telling thing is that they have no interest in doing so. ABC dumped its contract, none of the other major networks bid at all, and now ESPN wants to get out of their meager commitment.

TV network executives and sports directors are not idiots. If they decide to dump a sport it is for one reason only -- continuing coverage is no longer profitable. Sadly, to me it looks like amateur figure skating is on the slippery slope to becoming merely an Olympic sport. Something like downhill skiing or bobsledding.

People watch these sports for two days once every four years not because they are interested in the sports, but because they are interested in the Olympics. Frankly, most people don't really care whether four guys from Norway can ride down to the bottom of the hill two hundredths of a second faster than four guys from Italy can.

To me, we really do need a new thing. Whether it is some new version of professional skating or what, I wish I knew. IMHO the sport itself is better than ever, as we saw in the men's competition at Worlds, where every skater brought something unique and memorable to his performance.

Maybe there is just too much competiton for the sports/entertainment dollar, and figure skating will have to get used to surviving within its own smaller niche.

I hope not. It was a great run while it lasted.

Mathman

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks for providing the new link to the article.....

Whatever it takes, I sure hope ESPN can revive audience interest so we continue to get some coverage in the US.

I'm even more irritated now that I've read the actual article regarding ESPN's irritation with live feeds over the net. If it hurt them badly enough to take notice, then what this says is that people want LIVE COVERAGE, or coverage much closer to the actual event. It makes me mad that ESPN doesn't want to deliver what the audience wants, but wants to enforce prevention of broadcasters in other countries from conducting business over the net eliminating that option for people in the US.

OK, rant over.

DG

Vash01

Medalist
ESPN or any network could improve its ratings simply by listening to their real customers- the viewers- which is one of the most basic things in marketing. Even if we sent them email explaining what we want, I doubt that they will get any attention. Here is an opportunity for the networks to make some money. They show every minor tournament or game in several other sports, and I don't understand why they cannot show a popular sport like FS. The popularity will increase if - 1)they show live coverage, 2)show a lot more of it, 3)find commentators that are competent, and 4)advertise.

I have not watched the Canadian telecasts but I do get the impression that they are much better than what we get in the US- at least this worlds were, from what I heard.

IMO the key is LIVE coverage. A stale telecast cannot compete with the live coverage on the internet. It is ridiculous for espn to even suggest that the internet option should be closed.

However, my scariest thought is- are we not going to get to watch any FS at all in the US? I heard in Europe they don't get much of it. We in the US could be the next on the cutting block. Why would the TV execs not want to show FS? If they follow the right approach, it can make them money for them- without looking for a scandal at the next Olympics.

Vash

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
ESPN or any network could improve its ratings simply by listening to their real customers- the viewers- which is one of the most basic things in marketing. Even if we sent them email explaining what we want, I doubt that they will get any attention. Here is an opportunity for the networks to make some money. They show every minor tournament or game in several other sports, and I don't understand why they cannot show a popular sport like FS. The popularity will increase if - 1)they show live coverage, 2)show a lot more of it, 3)find commentators that are competent, and 4)advertise.

I have not watched the Canadian telecasts but I do get the impression that they are much better than what we get in the US- at least this worlds were, from what I heard.

IMO the key is LIVE coverage. A stale telecast cannot compete with the live coverage on the internet. It is ridiculous for espn to even suggest that the internet option should be closed.

However, my scariest thought is- are we not going to get to watch any FS at all in the US? I heard in Europe they don't get much of it. We in the US could be the next on the cutting block. Why would the TV execs not want to show FS? If they follow the right approach, it can make them money for them- without looking for a scandal at the next Olympics.

Vash

Well put Vash on the Live Coverage issue in particular. Actually, it seems that at least for World's, Europe got substantially more coverage than in the US. LIVE. I had the Audio going for Eurosport (which was on television there) while I also had the www.russiantvonline.com thing going. I liked listening to the Eurosport commentary AND watching the Russian TV feed at the same time. They do it right - comment only about the on-ice performance during the skater's programs. Not the endless unrelated babble we've become so accustomed to in the US. And they broadcast most if not all of the skaters in most of the events. And they don't chack skaters in lieu of commercials. The Zamboni breaks are when they do a long string of advertisements for the duration of the break. Same went for the advertising slots on the Russion TV video feed.

ESPN execs need to pull their heads out of their ***** and provide their service in the manner the fans are interested in, rather than trying to decide FOR us when and what they will "allow" us to see. I know I'm driving everyone nuts by repeating myself, but if they see www.russiantvonline.com as threat to ratings worth mentioning, then take a lesson from it!!!!!!

OK, I guess my first rant wasn't really over after all....;)

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Well....

I don't like whining about things and taking no action, so I sent ESPN my feedback through the contact form on www.espn.com. I included the link to the Chicago Tribune article as the foundation for my comments. You already know my comments, so I won't bore you with them again for like, the millionth time. :p

DG

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's a good idea...after all, if ESPN doesn't hear from the skating fans how can they know exactly what the viewers are looking for? There's all this complaining and suggestions in this thread but will it all just go to naught? I don't think it would hurt to write them if you have a strong opinion about it.

Jhar55

Medalist
Ok, first of all I am a computer dummie so here is my stupid question?
Were do you go to view live skating on the internet?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Is it really the live streaming that affected ratings, or the videos that were made and posted on the Internet of the programs within hours of the Eurosport -- live, and, in most cases, complete?

CBC coverage is far superior to ESPN coverage or, in the past, ABC coverage. There were two-hour prime time (8-10pm) broadcasts each week day. There is fluff - shilling for CoP, for example -- commercials, Martini/Underhill or Stojko teach young skaters some moves, short interviews with mostly the Canadian skaters, but also Lambiel, Slutskaya, etc., and breaks for curling highlights, but not nearly to the same degree as on US TV.

The coverage this year was:

Monday:
Pairs SP: Pang/Tong, Shen/Zhao, Totminina/Marinin, Zhang/Zhang, Orscher/Lucash, Zagorska/Siudek, Obertas/Slavnov, Wakamatsu/Fecteau, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Marcoux/Buntin, Petrova/Tikhonov.

Excerpts from Men's Quali: Joubert, Honda (sadly complete), Lambiel, Buttle, Lysacek, Plushenko, Lindemann, Weir, Sandhu.

Tuesday:
Men's SP: Sandhu, Griazev, Buttle, Weir, Takahashi, Lindemann, Lambiel, Plushenko, Joubert, Li.

Excerpts from CD: Grushina/Goncharov, Tavka/Kostomarov, Wing/Lowe, Dubreuil/Lauzon.

Wednesday:
Excerpts from Ladies' Quali: Rochette, Cohen, Ando, Kwan, Slutskaya, Arakawa, Pfaneuf.

Pairs LP: Wakamatsu/Fecteau, Marcoux/Buntin, Savchenko/Skolkowy, Obertas/Slavnov, Pang/Tong, Zhang/Zhang, Totmianina/Marinin, Petrova/Tikhonov. Excerpts from medal ceremony.

Thursday:
Dance OD: Dubreuil/Lauzon, Wing/Lowe, Delobel/Schoenfelder, Denkova/Staviyski, Grushina/Goncharov, Navka/Kostomarov.

Men's LP: Weir, Sandhu, Griazev, Buttle, Li, Joubert, Lambiel, Lysacek. Excerpts from medal ceremony.

Friday:
Ladies SP: Pfaneuf, Rochette, Arakawa, Kwan, Kostner, Suguri, Ando, Slutskaya, Cohen, Sokolova.

Dance FD: Dubreuil/Lauzon, Wing/Lowe.

Saturday:
Dance FD: Excerpts Dubreuil/Lauzon, Wing/Lowe. Navka/Kostomarov, Belbin/Agosto, Grushina/Goncharov, Delobel/Schoenfelder.

Ladies LP: Pfaneuf, Suguri, Rochette, Kwan, Kostner, Cohen, Arakawa, Ando, Slutskaya. Excerpts from medal ceremony.

Sunday:
Exhibitions: all but Savchenko/Szoklowy, who moved up when Zhang/Zhang couldn't skate, and one other skater I can't remember offhand. (I accidentally deleted the file.)

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
Is it really the live streaming that affected ratings, or the videos that were made and posted on the Internet of the programs within hours of the Eurosport -- live, and, in most cases, complete?

I never in a trillion years would have thought that www.russiantvonline.com would have seriously impacted ESPN's ratings. But THEY brought it up. And during intermissions from watching that (I couldn't record it) I was busy watching re-runs via the posted videos on the net. Yep. I recorded EVERY ESPN broadcast on Tivo. And I'm now in the process of copying the whole (limited coverage) season onto DVD's so I can put them in my time capsule. But...by the time the events were aired on ESPN, I was already spoiled about 20 times over.

DG

Leprechaun, MZheng was saying that she had moved her own post to another thread. She was not telling any other poster to move.

My fault. There were two threads started on the same topic. MZheng posted on one of them, then moved her post to the other when the other became the more active of the two. When I merged the two threads into one I should have deleted MZheng's first post.

Mathman:)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
As for ESPN b!tching about streaming video, maybe they need to get online and see what the fans are doing. The fans are downloading programs as the event is occurring b/c they want the coverage as close to the event as possible, want to see all the skaters, and want an event that is covered professionally (by Europort, Chinese TV etc) and doesn't reek of being a cheap afterthought.

ITA.

If ESPN would treat Figure Skating like a sport and show more competitors maybe people would be more interested. Forget the fluff pieces and show the competitors!!.. ESPN wouldn't ever think of showing only half a baseball game and interrupting it with fluff pieces about the players.

How many hours did they show of skating? And how many skaters did they show? Lots of hours but not much skating.

I wonder if the ISU really objected to Dick Button as a commentator, or if ABC/ESPN just used that as an excuse to dump him anyway?

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I wonder if the ISU really objected to Dick Button as a commentator, or if ABC/ESPN just used at as an excuse to dump him anyway?
But did you notice that this year's coverage without Dick Button, we hardly hear any criticizing of NJS? All are praises and sang along. Had Dick been there, you bet hearing something critical especially in Lady's SP. But non of any critisizing from US TV or may be not any from NA tv stations (I read non negative comments from CTV as well? though this was quite understand that Canadian proposed the NJS) but there were some in European countries.

Kathy

On the Ice
I honestly think that skating needs a big story to once again bring it back in the limelight in the US, and I think the thing that could do it is if Michelle won the OGM. It would be the story of the olympics and the media could run with her for a long time. Plus she would gain superstardom in the US and endorsements alone would bring skating into the forefront of the average Americans mind. And if Michelle then went into promotional mode - through touring, commentating, made for TV specials featuring other skaters, well it would help the US skating market ALOT.

That would be totally cool!

On the other hand, Michelle is the one skater in history who got as much mileage out of losing the Olympics as anyone else did winning. Quite an interesting turn of fate, IMHO.

Mathman

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Kathy said:
I honestly think that skating needs a big story to once again bring it back in the limelight in the US ... .

I only hope that TPTB read your post. I keep having nightmares that $peedy is going to create a big story by framing Sasha for whacking Michelle on the kneecaps.

Seriously, though, does anyone know if there is a financial connection between figure skating and speed skating? If the ISU's earnings from selling TV rights to figure skating provides the prize money for not just figure skaters, but also speed skaters, then the cut in ratings and reduced money would trickle down to reduced prize money for the speed skaters, too, wouldn't it? If so, wouldn't the speed skating federations be concerned? Could they help get rid of $peedy?

Last edited: