Sota Yamamoto | Page 55 | Golden Skate

Sota Yamamoto

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Sota's "Yesterday" in the 2021 The Ice.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing!
Well, it's obvious that Sota enjoyed skating in front of fans again, and was committed to the choreography. I don't mind his simple back outfit. Maybe the song will have a better reception in Canada than Anthem, hard to say. That said, I still wish he'd gone back to Anthem. That was classic Sota, with great rendition of the music, while this choreo didn't seem to quite relate to the music before the StSeq. (also, why is there a high kick in Yesterday? I mean, it's an impressive move, but what is it supposed to mean? o_O) And to be honest, I would say his moves are now more reminiscent of Shoma, which in some areas (use of arms) is not a bad thing, but I hope Sota follows his own path, and his own range of expression.
We'll know more after Chuubu regionals this weekend.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Sota, go back to Anthem, please!
Kudos to him for committing and landing his jumps, but I really don't like the music and the programme looks super empty... It does indeed feel like a Shoma programme from back in the day, and I feel it doesn't really highlight Sota's strengths like Anthem does. I guess I just don't like this coaching camp's choreo style! Having said that, the most important thing is that he is in shape and lands his jumps in competition :pray:

surimi

Record Breaker
^ Yeah, I also find the SP a bit generic. At this point definitely. I hope Yamada/Higuchi allow Sota to skate to music that is his own idea. Not that it always works, I mean last year's programs were also his own idea... but Nobunaga was a spot-on choice for one. Bull's-eye hit, as we say in my country.

So, Sota is skating this weekend in Chuubu, good luck to him!
Then in 10 days from now, he's scheduled for Japan Open in Team Blue. His teammates are Shoma, Shun, Wakaba, Satoko and Mai. He's friends with Mai and Shoma, so I guess he's happy to compete by their side. Interesting, he's been in JO three times, and was always in Team Blue. 🔵

So, with Sena and LT Honda being -hopefully- assigned to Cup of Austria, what do I need to do to bring about Sota and Yuhana and Mai in Poland?? :drama: Make it happen... Sota must have such a nice memory of winning a JGP in Poland... :pray:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Good luck to Sota at regionals and JO!

Meanwhile, another fan received a photo of Sota with his signature and a drawing - this time a dragon 🐉
Can I just say, I think he is good at drawing! This is a lot better than anything I can draw 😄

ETA: Just saw a fan on Twitter make an interesting observation: Sota associates himself with the dragon, while Kazuki associates with the tiger (because of the Hanshin Tigers), so you can say that together they are the dragon and the tiger.
A Google search gave me this:
The Chinese have an interesting idiom: "the tiger and the dragon". ... Both the Dragon and the Tiger are symbols of Chinese Buddhism, with the tiger lunging straight ahead to bulldoze through his opponents, while the dragon is revered more for patience and wisdom from which he then derives fighting power.

Kinda fits, right? 😆

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
Sota did get Warsaw CS! :jump: I'm super happy for him. You take good care of your ankles for the time being, Sota, so you can safely go! :cool:None of that 4Lz / 4Lo nonsense please. He's to go there with his friends Yuhana and Mai and Koshiro, so he'll be in good company.

@KiraraChin... hmm, Sota is turning into quite the artist! 🎨 What a nice dragon that is. Now, why did I not think of asking him for a pic to go with his autograph when I had the chance? :laugh: Maybe because I didn't want to risk the rink security ire, already having been cheeky enough...

KiraraChin

Medalist
Sota did get Warsaw CS! :jump: I'm super happy for him. You take good care of your ankles for the time being, Sota, so you can safely go! :cool:None of that 4Lz / 4Lo nonsense please. He's to go there with his friends Yuhana and Mai and Koshiro, so he'll be in good company.
Yay, that's great news!

KiraraChin

Medalist
I saw today that Sota is now on Unlim - seems to be a platform in which fans can leave messages of support and money donations for the skaters? https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000047.000070592.html
The good news is that in his description he says he's aiming for the 2022 and 2026 Olympics, which means he's not retiring any time soon! (I know it sounds silly to even think about retirement because he's so young, but I have seen speculation that he would have a short career because of his injuries so I'm happy it's not the case)

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
Sharing an article by Asahi about Sota - https://4years.asahi.com/article/14445013 It's comprehensible with google translate... though not too much :p Some of the content (injuries, Kokutai) is already known among Sota fans. Other content (re. choice of SP, FS, how he approached his current coaches, Unlim...) is quite new.

But, more importantly, Chubu SP is now over. Here are some updates:
- Sota photos: with Machiko Yamada , pose from Yesterday , after SP (I still don't like the haircut)
- Sota's commentary: A (I think it says he's satisfied with landing his jumps but wants to do better, and that he felt good), B (about his new training environment giving him mental and physical stability?), C (Sota says he was exempt from Chubu, but decided to skate there as he wants to test his programs before Skate Canada. Also, it seems Yesterday was his coach's idea... <-I'm not surprised :s )
- content: 4S, 3A, 3F3T (good, I'm glad they went for a moderate jump content), all clean. The spins need some work as one was invalidated, and one lv3 (I guess it was the donut spin, they always dock points from him for it and IDK why, it's beautiful), and StSeq was lv2 so I hope they work on that too. But overall, solid job! Good luck in the free! Overall score: 81.71. :)

KiraraChin

Medalist
I'm happy for Sota. It's clear now this coaching change was great for him, both politically (higher PCS and GOE compared to before) and also in terms of consistency. I'm still not super keen on their style of choreo and packaging, but can't deny they know their trade and how to bring results!

Looking forward to see what happens in the free, and hopefully someone will upload videos soon!

surimi

Record Breaker
On second thoughts, the 3F3T might have been an emergency solution? His right boot is taped just like it was at the ice show, so maybe it's not safe to jump quad combos in that? 🤷‍♀️

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Google does a very good job of the 4Year article, but I want to clarify this part: When Sota asked Mihoko sensei to be his coach, she surprised him by saying 『うちでいいの』where Google says 'It's okay to stay at home.' But what she said was, "Are you sure you are fine with us?" implying "Are we good enough for you?"
Here, Sota was impressed with her reserved attitude and gentleness. She was willing to take him in, while she was not actively recruiting him who was sought after by some other coaches at that time.

surimi

Record Breaker
Sota did quite well in the FS in Chubu. He got around 150 points, and a total of 231 points. Well done!
Some small jump issues (two-foot 4S, hand down on the 3Lz, doubled an axel), but lv3 StSeq, and only one lv3 spin, which is an improvement from y(Y)esterday ;)

Two possible causes of the jump struggles and no 4T : both of his boots seem heavily taped so they're probably falling apart, and Sota said he'd hurt his left leg a bit. That would also explain 3F2T instead of 3F3T, as it's his picking leg. Get well soon 🍀 and get new ⛸️ soon, Sota!

Sota's comments (sorry, no time to try and translate now, can anyone help? Rainbow, pretty please? 🥺 )
-「このフリーは今季初披露。演技が始まってから『初披露してるんだな』と思いながら滑りました。緊張と不安がたくさんあったんですけど、しっかりと課題を見つけることができたので(免除のため出場を迷ったが)大会に出て良かったなと思いました」
- 「(樋口美穂子コーチとは)6分間練習でジャンプの感覚が違うなと思ったので、どんどん聞きました。本番では多少なりとも修正できたので先生に助けられたかな。美穂子先生には『点数、最低限は出たね。失敗した割には最低限もらえたね。まだまだ伸びしろのある演技だったよ』と言っていただきました」
- article about Sota after FS: https://hochi.news/articles/20210925-OHT1T51194.html

Photos: Sota looking happy backstage, new FS costume (looks a lot like In This Shirt, I'd have him keep the East of Eden costume because the frills look so fancy), with Rika Hongo

Also, Quadruple Axel magazine is going to get published quite soon, if the excited tweets are anything to go by. Sota's interview is with Taichiro, and there's also Kazuki's with Yuhana ☺️

Last edited:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
-「このフリーは今季初披露。演技が始まってから『初披露してるんだな』と思いながら滑りました。緊張と不安がたくさんあったんですけど、しっかりと課題を見つけることができたので(免除のため出場を迷ったが)大会に出て良かったなと思いました」
- 「(樋口美穂子コーチとは)6分間練習でジャンプの感覚が違うなと思ったので、どんどん聞きました。本番では多少なりとも修正できたので先生に助けられたかな。美穂子先生には『点数、最低限は出たね。失敗した割には最低限もらえたね。まだまだ伸びしろのある演技だったよ』と言っていただきました」
Translation:
- “I was to skate this SP for the first time this season. After I started, I was skating feeling, 'This is my first time showing it to the public.' I was very nervous and worried, but I was able to clearly find issues to work on, so I am glad I competed at this event (even though given a bye).”
- “(About Mihoko Higuchi coach’s advice) during the 6-min warmup I had a different feel of my jumps, so I asked for her advice a lot. I think she helped me, as I was able to correct my jumps a little. Mihoko sensei said, ‘You got the score that we wanted at the very least. Even with some mistakes, you earned the score that is the minimum by our standard. Your performance shows a lot of potential'.”

Also, Quadruple Axel magazine is going to get published quite soon, if the excited tweets are anything to go by. Sota's interview is with Taichiro, and there's also Kazuki's with Yuhana
The next issue of Quadruple Axel to be published on Sept. 29 has feature articles about Yuzuru, Shoma and Yuma plus one on one interviews with Keiji, Shun, Kazuki, Sota, and Koshiro. https://www.yamakei.co.jp/products/2821907460.html
About ladies, Rika is a featured skater and following skaters are interviewed individually: Kaori, Satoko, Mai, Rino, Wakaba, and Yuhana.
Also, onsen boys' chat after the online talkshow is included.

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
Translation:
- “I was to skate this SP for the first time this season. After I started, I was skating feeling, “This is my first time showing it to the public.” I was very nervous and worried, but I was able to clearly find issues to work on, so I am glad I competed at this event (even though given a bye).”
- “(About Mihoko Higuchi coach’s advice) during the 6-min warmup I had a different feel of my jumps, so I asked for her advice a lot. I think she helped me, as I was able to correct my jumps a little. Mihoko sensei said, ‘You got the score that we wanted at the very least. Even with some mistakes, you earned the score that is the minimum by our standard. Your performance shows a lot of potential.”

The next issue of Quadruple Axel to be published on Sept. 29 has feature articles about Yuzuru, Shoma and Yuma plus one on one interviews with Keiji, Shun, Kazuki, Sota, and Koshiro. https://www.yamakei.co.jp/products/2821907460.html
About ladies, Rika is a featured skater and following skaters are interviewed individually: Kaori, Satoko, Mai, Rino, Wakaba, and Yuhana.
Also, onsen boy's chat after the online talkshow is included.

Sorry, my mistake, I meant Figure Skating Life! But good to know Quadruple writes about him too. I am not surprised he wants to show a new him. All skaters do. But I rather like his new quote about making a way for himself when there's no way forward. Forgot where it was, probably the post-FS interview.
And 💐 for the translation! Well, I'd say given the state of his boots and leg, Sota did what he was capable of. Don't you wear him out, coaches 🤔

First Io Ci Saro fanart 😊 So nice!

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Quadruple Axel (9/29/21 issue) has an interview with Sota.
Amazon USA (Kindle edition) Note: Since the text is an image, it's not selectable or searchable.
Amazon Japan (Kindle edition & Mook edition) Overseas shipping available.

Translated excerpts:

--Can you tell us the details that led up to your transfer to Machiko Yamada sensei’s team (Grand Prix Tokai)?
S: Yes. I had been trying to figure out what to do about the coachless situation. I couldn’t come up with any good ideas by myself, so I asked around for advice. Among many people who were worried about me, Machiko Yamada sensei and Mihoko Higuchi sensei also cared about me by saying “You should get a coach.” After some conversations with them, the feeling that I wanted to skate to a program choreographed by Mihoko sensei grew stronger. That was the start and It became the deciding factor.
--Yamamoto senshu asked them to be your coaching team?
S: I asked them and they gladly accepted me. Soon after I joined their club, they explained to me in detail things other than skating as well such as departure and entry restrictions and quarantine requirements we would face when going to Skate Canada. I felt that I would be able to go on without worries under their guidance.
--You have seen Higuchi sensei coaching her students at the rinks such as Chukyo University rink. Did that help you put trust in her?
S: Although we saw each other on the ice at the same time, Mihoko sensei was sort of mysterious in that I had rarely seen her speaking loudly or using body language when she was coaching her students. But once I joined their team, she coached me thoroughly in jumps, spins, steps, skating skills, and everything. I remember Hongo (Yuko) sensei, who used to help me when I was at Howa Sportsland, telling me that Mihoko sensei had a real appetite for learning. In fact, she learned how to coach jumps from Ghislain Briand who is a jump coach for Hanyu (Yuzuru) senshu, so her jump coaching techniques are thorough and it was a smooth learning experience for me. I spent a lot of time worrying about the new training environment, but now I am glad I joined this team.
--You just mentioned Hongo sensei and she is also with the Grand Prix Tokai Club now.
S: Yes, she is. When I was debating where to go, the fact that Hongo sensei was on the team was an important factor when choosing my coaching team. When I officially transferred there, she gave me a warm welcome saying “I’ve always wanted you to come to us for a long time.” Besides, Hongo sensei uses Nagakubo sensei’s method of coaching and that was a big factor that influenced my decision.
--How did your training start with the Yamada team?
S: We started out with choreography of the short and free programs. We roughly put together the programs in one day. The Ice was only one week away, so I kept practicing the short while working out the kinks. Then I got to show it in The Ice.

- to be cont'd -