Spoilers, but what a climax in ladies! | Golden Skate

Spoilers, but what a climax in ladies!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm still in shock. Not in a bad way, but this ending was totally unexpected. Kaetlyn skated well (I thought she was better than at the Olympics, but alas I'm not a judge) and got the points because of it. Gaby didn't bomb as in the Olympics but wasn't that good, Brady was just bland (sorry, this is my impression) but skated well, Loena was spectacular while not even having a triple-triple (though I've seen her do those before), but her step sequence and interpretation of the music were wonderful, Mirai did okay, Wakaba was a sensation but, due to her 8th place Sp I didn't expect her to medal (and her reactions really made me cry, she was so emotional ), Satoko wasn't at her best as there was a fall, although still beautiful te watch and she certainly showed some good elements and followed through. Carolina was so-so (and I expected that, she's a great and wonderful skater but the stamina and jumps are missing as far as a Free programme is concerned) and just before Carolina came, there was poor Alina. This is what shocked me. The poor girl fell three times and I've never seen her fall before. She's got guts and stamina, and continued. It wasn't a total melt down like with Anna a year ago, but close. It also made me cry. I really felt for her. What a deception after this succesful season and then losing it at Worlds. As a whole the final was fantastic, but boy would I have wanted Alina to have done better. The Crowd was really supportive of her, and that must have helped in her 'pushing on' but it was just so sad for her. On the other hand, it does make her more human (but to be honest I never doubted that), and it is possible to beat her if she's not on. Strange climax indeed. Kudos to Kaetlyn though. First Canadian lady to get a World title in how many years? Someone on here will know the figure. I'm just happy for her. And she had a run away victory in the end, even coming from fourth. Hurrah for her!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I only wished Caro was on the podium, but I'm beyond happy for Kaetlyn and Wakaba! Never belived they would be Gold and Silver medalists at Worlds at this universe.

Now though, I really regret I don't have any vodka home...

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
How long has it been? Hour and a half? I'm still shook.
I can't believe half the final group melted down. This FS was fraught with messes.
Very happy for the medalists and for Loena Hendrickx. They skated the best, imo, the placements were correct. Just totally unexpected. Poor Alina :( She hasn't had a free skate like that since JGP Ljubljana 2016. But she recovered from that, and she'll come back from this, too.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Alina looked just as fierce in the 6 min SP warm up as she’d done in Korea - that made me think she was on and in a good place mentally.

Press conference after SP, she looked angry? Maybe at herself, maybe annoyed that she had to be there....but still seemed to have plenty of energy (anger is a good fuel a lot of times).

Only thing I can think of without having seen FS or read anything is that she may be run down after the OG’s. Adrenaline could’ve carried her up until the FS and that then was when it hit her.
Not to body shame, I adore Alina and I know she is a slight girl, but pictures from the practice session showed her legs a little slimmer than normal, a sign maybe that she is just a bit run down after a long season and an Olympics.
Personally, I think it is amazing that she even attended worlds given the tight schedule (Aljona & Bruno had 7 hours at home before a week of shows and more training??), possibly though she may have benefited from staying home to rest and relax.

Hope she is ok, at least she has won the Big One!!

Alchamei

Record Breaker
How many men or women have won worlds after winning Olympics? really curious

Not many. Usually only one of them if it happens. This year, only S/M has done it. In 2014 Hanyu, in 2010 V/M. No one in 2006.

The thing is, not many Gold medalists go to Worlds, and if they do, they are not always successful.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Yuzuru is one.

Looks like Dick Button did it twice, anyone else?

- - - Updated - - -

Not many. Usually only one of them if it happens. This year, only S/M has done it. In 2014 Hanyu, in 2010 V/M. No one in 2006.

The thing is, not many Gold medalists go to Worlds, and if they do, they are not always successful.

Thank you have forgotten about pairs and dance, any woman?

GGFan

Record Breaker
I'm kind of glad I didn't watch live because this must have been a rollercoaster. I got to see the result first, and there was no surprise given that this is a post-Olympic Worlds. Instead I was just joyful about the podium. I love unexpected medalists! :yahoo:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Wow, I was not believing this at first until I watched Kaetlyn's Gold medal skate on the CBC website - I'm waiting to see the whole event tonight on the CBC. Kaetlyn just looked so in the zone as Kurt would call it - into her music, relaxed, not rushing. She looks like a true champion. I can't wait to see tonight with Kurt's coverage! A HUGE congrats to Kaetlyn and her coach Ravi.

brightphoton

Medalist
How many men or women have won worlds after winning Olympics? really curious

Dorothy Hamill did in the 1970s, and I remember she gave an interview saying that some people were telling her to skip, but she wanted to stick it just for a little while longer for a just one more little competition ;)