Spoilers, but what a climax in ladies! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Spoilers, but what a climax in ladies!

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I only wished Caro was on the podium, but I'm beyond happy for Kaetlyn and Wakaba! Never belived they would be Gold and Silver medalists at Worlds at this universe.

Now though, I really regret I don't have any vodka home...
One must always keep a stash of preferred booze and chocolate on hand during skating events!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Finally, I would like to put a shout out to Gabby, who, with Kaetlyn, retained Canada's three spots for next year's Worlds. Gabby sprained her ankle this morning, so it was impressive that she skated as well as she did. It also must have been a mental challenge to come back from her horrific FS at the Olympics. Get well soon, Gabby!

Thank you Dr. Jenn! Yes, Gabby with a twisted ankle placed 8th in the World!!! Who knew that this beautiful woman, was such a Beast! She immediately went to social media to apologize to her fans after the competition. Gabby, if you ever read this, you have nothing to apologize for. You are a courageous young woman, and we your fans, look forward to seeing you on many future skating podiums.

Thank you for giving us 3 spots, and also for winning us a Team Gold at the Olympics!

Scrufflet

Final Flight
^^^ Ditto to that!
Next year, I want to see Beast Gabby roar back, skate to Wonder Woman, raise her arm in a tano fist and blow the arena apart!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How many men or women have won worlds after winning Olympics? really curious

Dorothy Hamill, Kristi Yamaguchi, Trixi Schuba, Katarina Witt (twice), Annette Poetsch, Dick Button (twice), Yuzuru Hanyu, Peggy Fleming, Carol Heiss, Sonia Henie (three times). There are probably more.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I hope that the last two competitions will shake up the ladies field a bit. Evgenia and Alina have both had their bubble of inevitability pierced in quick succession. Hopefully now that they have been exposed as human their PCS will come back to earth and we will actually have more competition in the events next season.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Dorothy Hamill, Kristi Yamaguchi, Trixi Schuba, Katarina Witt (twice), Annette Poetsch, Dick Button (twice), Yuzuru Hanyu, Peggy Fleming, Carol Heiss, Sonia Henie (three times). There are probably more.

Yes, thank you. I managed to do a list for each discipline, correct me if you see a mistake. Thank you to wikipedia :)
13 mens (Button (2), Hanyu, Salchow,Gillis Grafström, Karl Schäfer (2),Hayes Alan Jenkins, Manfred Schnelldorfer, Ondrej Nepela, John Curry, Scott Hamilton, Brian Boitano, Viktor Petrenko, Alexei Yagudin) I think this are the men...
11 women (Yamaguchi, Witt, Herma Szabo,Sonja Henie (3) , Barbara Ann Scott, Carol Heiss, Sjoukje Dijkstra, Peggy Fleming, Beatrix Schuba, Dorothy Hamill, Anett Pötzsch)
Pairs 13 (Anna Hübler / Heinrich Burger, Helene Engelmann / Alfred Berger, Andreé Joly / Pierre Brunet, Andreé Joly-Brunet / Pierre Brunet, Maxi Herber / Ernst Baier, Micheline Lannoy
and Pierre Baugniet, Ria Baran / Paul Falk, Sissy Schwarz and Kurt Oppelt , Barbara Wagner / Robert Paul, Liudmila Belousova / Oleg Protopopov, Irina Rodnina and Alexei Ulanov (2), Natalia Mishkutenok / Artur Dmitriev, Aliona Savchenko / Bruno Massot)
Dance 6 (Liudmila Pakhomova / Alexander Gorshkov, Jayne Torvill / Christopher Dean, Natalia Bestemianova / Andrei Bukin, Marina Klimova / Sergei Ponomarenko, Oksana GrishuK and Evgeny Platov, Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, thank you. I managed to do a list for each discipline, correct me if you see a mistake. Thank you to wikipedia :)
13 mens (Button (2), Hanyu, Salchow,Gillis Grafström, Karl Schäfer (2),Hayes Alan Jenkins, Manfred Schnelldorfer, Ondrej Nepela, John Curry, Scott Hamilton, Brian Boitano, Viktor Petrenko, Alexei Yagudin) I think this are the men...
11 women (Yamaguchi, Witt, Herma Szabo,Sonja Henie (3) , Barbara Ann Scott, Carol Heiss, Sjoukje Dijkstra, Peggy Fleming, Beatrix Schuba, Dorothy Hamill, Anett Pötzsch)
Pairs 13 (Anna Hübler / Heinrich Burger, Helene Engelmann / Alfred Berger, Andreé Joly / Pierre Brunet, Andreé Joly-Brunet / Pierre Brunet, Maxi Herber / Ernst Baier, Micheline Lannoy
and Pierre Baugniet, Ria Baran / Paul Falk, Sissy Schwarz and Kurt Oppelt , Barbara Wagner / Robert Paul, Liudmila Belousova / Oleg Protopopov, Irina Rodnina and Alexei Ulanov (2), Natalia Mishkutenok / Artur Dmitriev, Aliona Savchenko / Bruno Massot)
Dance 6 (Liudmila Pakhomova / Alexander Gorshkov, Jayne Torvill / Christopher Dean, Natalia Bestemianova / Andrei Bukin, Marina Klimova / Sergei Ponomarenko, Oksana GrishuK and Evgeny Platov, Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir)

That's quite a list. It seems like Oksana Baiul started the trend of not going to Worlds (for ladies). I find it interesting that most of the recent OGMs who skipped Worlds had close or controversial wins: Baiul, Lipinski, Hughes, Sotnikova. I don't put Arakawa in that category but also think she was not a lock for World gold in 2006 (except maybe in retrospect).

Puchi

On the Ice
I hope that the last two competitions will shake up the ladies field a bit. Evgenia and Alina have both had their bubble of inevitability pierced in quick succession. Hopefully now that they have been exposed as human their PCS will come back to earth and we will actually have more competition in the events next season.

You're such a crazy dreamer.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I am sad for Caro, but she didn't seem that heartbroken. I am quite happy about the podium after seeing the skates.

Alina's meltdown is just another reason for putting back pedal on backloading. It was bound to happen. We seen in short how a simple stumble seemed to broken the whole program... and a fall is death to such structured program. Have she had a more reasonable structure to the program, that was not milking the system and being risky, I believe she would recover and be on podium. Nobody could save that program after a mistake, even the most experienced skaters.

Happy for Loena, I really fell in love with her this year.