Spoilers, but what a climax in ladies! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Spoilers, but what a climax in ladies!

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
So far
13 mens (Button (2), Hanyu, Salchow,Gillis Grafström, Karl Schäfer (2),Hayes Alan Jenkins, Manfred Schnelldorfer, Ondrej Nepela, John Curry, Scott Hamilton, Brian Boitano, Viktor Petrenko, Alexei Yagudin) I think this are the men...
11 women (Yamaguchi, Witt, Herma Szabo,Sonja Henie (3) , Barbara Ann Scott, Carol Heiss, Sjoukje Dijkstra, Peggy Fleming, Beatrix Schuba, Dorothy Hamill, Anett Pötzsch, )

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
My gosh, Osmond for gold and it really happened!!!! :love:

Congratulations to Kaetlyn, the epic World champion of the event! Not only that, what a pleasantly surprising podium finish for me although I'm saddened by Carolina's meltdown at home, but all the medalists deserve their medal! :yahoo:Dear Wakaba and Satoko, well done. :hap10:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Pairs 13 (Anna Hübler / Heinrich Burger, Helene Engelmann / Alfred Berger, Andreé Joly / Pierre Brunet, Andreé Joly-Brunet / Pierre Brunet, Maxi Herber / Ernst Baier, Micheline Lannoy
and Pierre Baugniet, Ria Baran / Paul Falk, Sissy Schwarz and Kurt Oppelt , Barbara Wagner / Robert Paul, Liudmila Belousova / Oleg Protopopov, Irina Rodnina and Alexei Ulanov (2), Natalia Mishkutenok / Artur Dmitriev, Aliona Savchenko / Bruno Massot)

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Dance 6 (Liudmila Pakhomova / Alexander Gorshkov, Jayne Torvill / Christopher Dean, Natalia Bestemianova / Andrei Bukin, Marina Klimova / Sergei Ponomarenko, Oksana GrishuK and Evgeny Platov, Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Karen Magnussen won silver at the 1972 Olympics in Japan, and then Won Gold at the 1973 World Championships in Bratislava. It was also the first season where the figures portion was reduced and the short program counted more as we know it now. Also Karen received one of the final SOLID GOLD medals in FS. It's exciting that 45 years later, Kaetlyn Osmond has repeated what Karen did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Magnussen

hfield

Rinkside
Wow, I was not believing this at first until I watched Kaetlyn's Gold medal skate on the CBC website - I'm waiting to see the whole event tonight on the CBC. Kaetlyn just looked so in the zone as Kurt would call it - into her music, relaxed, not rushing. She looks like a true champion. I can't wait to see tonight with Kurt's coverage! A HUGE congrats to Kaetlyn and her coach Ravi.

Do you know if the coverage with commentary will be available online? I'm in Ontario but I don't have cable... haha

tothepointe

On the Ice
Honestly, I found Zagitovas FS more enjoyable than I have all season. Not because I like to see people fail but because it doesn't illustrate what a disaster a backloaded program can become if your not in peak physical condition like she has been up until now. I think that more than anything will keep backloading in check.

OMG Wakaba :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
I was so happy just cheering for Wakaba, but Alina was falling and husband was :palmf: and I understand but for the first time Wakaba got what she deserved and it needs celebration :yahoo:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really sad for Carolina. I wanted her to have a good skate at home.

qwertyskates

Medalist
I got home late and have yet to watch this...:eek:hwell::hopelessness:

Sad for Alina, I'm glad I found out so I averted a horrible shock. :shocked:

I said all along though, that her program is super difficult and risky - one failed jump and the rest would fall like dominoes - so I guess I'm sort of prepared for this. :think:

Still, I'm so glad that at her senior debut she performed this crazy program, and I stand by my prediction that there won't be a FS with seven jumps in a row under 2 minutes again. Kudos to Alina for showing us one such extreme program and performing it so well for close to 2 years now. She's still a champ to me, for skating the most difficult FS in ladies' history. :agree:

Congrats to the podium, especially Kaetlyn and Wakaba. Great comeback after SP for both! :clap::2thumbs:

noskates

Record Breaker
I am so pleased that Kaetlyn won Worlds. I'm glad to see Canada reaching some prominence this year and look forward to next year.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Seriously, who ever would have imagined such a result? If you did, go out and buy a lottery ticket! ;)

I am beyond thrilled for Kaetlyn. What a deserving winner! :D She put out two very solid skates and held it together when others crumbled (I feel very sorry for Alina - She just looked completely exhausted today - as well as for Carolina. Although her performance was less shocking than Alina's, I was still hoping that she would hold on to a podium spot.). It must have been very hard for Kaetlyn to come down from the Olympic high, but she handled the situation with aplomb. She is exactly the type of skater that I love - fast, big jumps, good skating skills and spins, and a great performer. It's amazing to see how far she has come since breaking her leg a few years ago - an injury that could have been career-ending.

Congratulations to Wakaba and Satoko as well! Wakaba is a similar type of skater to Kaetlyn in many ways, so I always appreciate her work. She still is a little rough around the edges in a few ways (e.g., lines), but she has tons of great qualities and potential. As I have mentioned before, I really do appreciate all of Satoko's wonderful qualities (e.g., attention to detail, spins), even though I am critical of her jumps. For both of them, these medals must feel like the gold, after their struggles this season. Well done!

Finally, I would like to put a shout out to Gabby, who, with Kaetlyn, retained Canada's three spots for next year's Worlds. Gabby sprained her ankle this morning, so it was impressive that she skated as well as she did. It also must have been a mental challenge to come back from her horrific FS at the Olympics. Get well soon, Gabby!

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I'm kind of glad I didn't watch live because this must have been a rollercoaster.

I’m also glad I didn’t watch live, but for a different reason. I think if I had watched it live, Wakaba wouldn’t have skated a perfect program.

Then again, I did watch Lombardia and CoC live. So maybe it has nothing to do with me at all... :think:

rain

Record Breaker
So thrilled for Osmond! Amazing competitive grit to hold it together after the Olympics like that.

For many on the Canadian worlds team this has been a disastrous and heartbreaking competition (Larkyn Austman just missing the free skate cutoff — again! Nam just missing the free skate cutoff. Seguin and Bilodeau having a disastrous short and not making the free skate — I'm still not over it — though congrats to MT-M2 for skating so well in the FS), this is so inspirational.

As for the ladies field, I would never have predicted this outcome. Zagitova off the podium. Higuchi jumping from 8th to 2nd. Tennell 4th in the LP. Loena Hendrickx in the top 10....

RedDress

Rinkside
It was an unpredictable outcome for sure, I think it just goes to show how much focus there is for Olympics and how much reserve is necessary for The Worlds afterwards. The pressure had to be ginormous for Alina to show her Olympic win was deserved over her rival and Carolina skating at home and how badly she wanted it. She delivered in the short big time but just not enough in the tank left for the long. So you gotta admire Katelyn who along with the Japanese ladies kept up the consistency after a team and individual competition at Olympics. Katelyn talked about initially losing focus in her long and then rembering to focus and rely on her training to pull her through, and you could see that all appearing midway through her program that she fought back and was able to regroup. With Alina backloading her program having the energy to pull it off was just too much she was just so exhausted from the stress and excitement of the Olympic win. This was a major test of endurance more than anything else. I don’t think the long was a personal best for any of the top 6, except for Wakaba’s brilliant Bond, but the fight to be there had to be one of the most interesting competitions I’ve seen in quite a while. Congrats to the medalists you battled your own demons to win it.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Also, Osmond4Gold, where are you? Your username has really become true today!

Thanks Alchamei, didn't you hear me hollering??? I was celebrating with some friends, some current and old GS members. Yes, I am beyond thrilled for KO, and so well deserved after these years.

Thanks for thinking of me!