State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 73 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Mainly the more-than-twice thing, yes. There's also the part that if a quad or triple is repeated, at least one of the two has to be in combination.

The former invalidated an entire element (now just a single jump) while the latter only has deductions so if there's one part of the rule to remember its the "do not repeat a third time" part. :p

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Good Layout:
3Lz-3T
3S-3T
3F
2A-2T-2T
3Lz
3L
2A

Rule: Can only repeat 2 types of triple and 2 types of double.
What was done in this layout: 2x 3Lz, 2x 3T, 2x 2A, 2x 2T [✓]

Zayaking layout (aka bad):
3Lz-2T (popped 3T)
3S-3T
3F
2A-2T-2T
3Lz
3L
2A

What was done in this layout: 2x 3Lz, 1x 3T, 2x 2A, 3x 2T [✕]

Because she did a 3rd 2T, the entire element (2A-2T-2T) would have been invalidated, aka "Zayak". That changed this season, and they now only invalidate the single jump that zayaked (the red 2T)

To maximize the TES without zayaking, when she popped the 3Lz-3T into 2T, she could have done her 2A combos like this: 2A-3T-2T ; 2A-3T-2L ; 2A-2L-2T ; 2A-1L-3S, etc.

so, to apply what I just learned, I just rewatched Mariah's "fourth of July" program at US nationals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0fBBi5nX_M , and I think her jump layout was

3F-2t
2axel
3L
3Lz-2t-2t
3Lz
3F
2axel-2t

so, according to the zayek rule, if she didn't add the 2nd toe jump in the 3Lz-2t-2t combo, and didn't add the 2t in the 2axel-2t combo, then she would have been fine? Is that why she said she realized she added too many double toes in that comp?

and did it mean, she didn't get points for the 3lz-2t-2t jump and the 2axel-2t jump?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So basically the United States will not have any solo skaters in the GPF?
It really is a shame. No, I'm not holding my breath for Jason or Adam. They may have an outside chance of making it, but not more than that.:shame:

Actually Jason has a pretty good chance. He actually has the highest season best of all the guys at NHK - so that helps for tie breakers. Actually it would end up being some rather strange results that did not leave one of Adam, Jason or Nathan in the final as there are two spots (assuming Hanyu is a given, or you could say three spots) and all are contenders.

frida80

Record Breaker
so, to apply what I just learned, I just rewatched Mariah's "fourth of July" program at US nationals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0fBBi5nX_M , and I think her jump layout was

3F-2t
2axel
3L
3Lz-2t-2t
3Lz
3F
2axel-2t

so, according to the zayek rule, if she didn't add the 2nd toe jump in the 3Lz-2t-2t combo, and didn't add the 2t in the 2axel-2t combo, then she would have been fine? Is that why she said she realized she added too many double toes in that comp?

and did it mean, she didn't get points for the 3lz-2t-2t jump and the 2axel-2t jump?

Yes it meant that both those combos were zero and she receive no points.

After a fall or a mistake it's easy for a skater to make careless mistakes like this. But the penalty was way too harsh. Now they just invalidate the extra element so the 3lz+2t and 2A would count this year.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
gosh, these rules are hard to remember, lmao....i don't remember it being that difficult for average audience folks like me, lol.....the only time i was really in the know about scoring was during the competitive days of Mao vs. Yuna, where if you wanted to repeat a triple jump, it had to be in combination........and that was it, but I never really understood how a skater is awarded GOEs.....this area of the scoring is really not clear to the average general audience viewer such as myself.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

3F-2t
2axel
3L
3Lz-2t-2t
3Lz
3F
2axel-2t

Yes on all counts. Remove the 3rd and 4th 2Ts and she'd have been fine. (2x 3F with 1 in combo, 2x 2T, 2x 2A, 2x 3Lz with 1 in combo, 1x 3L) And yes, she didn't get credit for either of those two combos.

Mariah's issue was that she doubled her planned 3T in her opening combo, and then fell on her first 2A, which was intended to combo in a 2A-1L-3S. The excess 2Ts were her attempt to get more points in by making up the combo later but it's hard to think on the go like that.

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Record Breaker

After a fall or a mistake it's easy for a skater to make careless mistakes like this. But the penalty was way too harsh. Now they just invalidate the extra element so the 3lz+2t and 2A would count this year.

She lost maybe 15 points on those two elements not including GOE's :drama:

She outdid Nobu's 14-ish point loss on his invalidated 3A3T. To out-zayak Oda? Now that's hard to do. ;)

topaz emerald

Match Penalty

yes, this makes sense, who cares about those stupid extra double toes she added, right? double toes are meaningless....I am not a skater, yet, I'm sure I can jump and twirl around once and land on my flat feet, hahahahahah, just kidding, I can barely skated with flat feet! But it makes sense to prevent a skater from repeating a triple more than twice, as it probably means they cannot do other jumps as well, and it wouldnt be fair to other skaters who are more well rounded in all the triple jumps.....thanks very much for explaining :)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
More Sectionals news!

Pacific Coasts Junior Ladies SP

Kaitlyn Nguyen is in 1st with 58.45! This includes a 3Lz-3T with 1.40 GOE! If only she wasn't too young for Junior Worlds, since she could definitely contend at Nationals.

Starr Andrews is in 2nd with 55.12, including a 3T-3T and all Level 4 spins! Looks like she popped her axel, which invalidated it. Had that not occurred, she may actually have ended up in the lead.

Nina Ouelette is in 3rd with 55.11, Sierra Venetta is in 4th with 54.11, and perpetual Goldenskate favorite Liza Kulik! is in 5th with 53.14.

Midwesterns Senior Ladies is completed.

Nationals Qualifiers (top 4) are:

1) Tessa Hong, 54.42 + 114.38 = 168.80
2) Hannah Miller, 56.66 + 105.57 = 162.23
3) Amber Glenn, 52.95 + 109.11 = 162.06
4) Ashley Shin, 53.73 + 91.50 = 145.23

Poor Emily Chan just misses out :(

brightphoton

Medalist
^ arghhh, if only there were a senior B this weekend that Miller or Chan could have been sent to. Then they could have gotten a bye to Nationals or make it out of sectionals ...

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
More Sectionals news!

Pacific Coasts Junior Ladies SP

Kaitlyn Nguyen is in 1st with 58.45! This includes a 3Lz-3T with 1.40 GOE! If only she wasn't too young for Junior Worlds, since she could definitely contend at Nationals.

Starr Andrews is in 2nd with 55.12, including a 3T-3T and all Level 4 spins! Looks like she popped her axel, which invalidated it. Had that not occurred, she may actually have ended up in the lead.

Nina Ouelette is in 3rd with 55.11, Sierra Venetta is in 4th with 54.11, and perpetual Goldenskate favorite Liza Kulik! is in 5th with 53.14.

Midwesterns Senior Ladies is completed.

Nationals Qualifiers (top 4) are:

1) Tessa Hong, 54.42 + 114.38 = 168.80
2) Hannah Miller, 56.66 + 105.57 = 162.23
3) Amber Glenn, 52.95 + 109.11 = 162.06
4) Ashley Shin, 53.73 + 91.50 = 145.23

Poor Emily Chan just misses out :(

I wish someone posted Kaitlyn Nguyen's video.....she is another American to watch! Hope puberty treats her well. thanks for the update

shiroKJ

Record Breaker
Wow Kaitlyn's protocol looks amazing for a 10 year old. Almost 37 TES :biggrin:

She has a gofundme page if anyone is interested in helping.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Wow Kaitlyn's protocol looks amazing for a 10 year old. Almost 37 TES :biggrin:

She has a gofundme page if anyone is interested in helping.

Is a 37 TES considered good?
Yes, I recently saw her website page and gofundme page.....sounds like her parents are making huge sacrifices for her to achieve her dream. Gosh, I cannot imagine how hard it must be.....

shiroKJ

Record Breaker
Is a 37 TES considered good?
Yes, I recently saw her website page and gofundme page.....sounds like her parents are making huge sacrifices for her to achieve her dream. Gosh, I cannot imagine how hard it must be.....

Of course this is sectionals so keep that in mind, but the top 3 ladies in CoC averaged about 37-ish TES in their SP.

And its lovely to see Starr doing well. Dare I say we might see her at Jr. Worlds? ;)

Kaitlyn is 12 this year.

Oh woops :laugh:

Last edited:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Of course this is sectionals so keep that in mind, but the top 3 ladies in CoC averaged about 37-ish TES in their SP.

And its lovely to see Starr doing well. Dare I say we might see her at Jr. Worlds? ;)

Oh woops :laugh:

please educate me again....what is the importance of sectionals? Is this to determine who gets to compete at US nationals?

frida80

Record Breaker
please educate me again....what is the importance of sectionals? Is this to determine who gets to compete at US nationals?

Pretty much. First there are 9 regional championships across the country. The top four from each group go to their own respective sectional. Then the top four of sectionals go to nationals. Some skaters had byes, meaning the didn't have to compete at regionals on account of having an international competition. They now compete at sectionals to go to nationals. The sectional ranking has no effect on national scores, of course.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

US Qualifying structure goes:

Regionals ---> Sectionals ---> Nationals.

There are 9 Regions, three per each Section. Top 4 skaters per level per discipline in each Region go to their respective Sectionals (Easterns, Midwesterns, Pacific Coasts). Then those skaters (plus any who received byes through Regionals) compete and the top 4 skaters per level per discipline go to Nationals.