State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 74 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Pretty much. First there are 9 regional championships across the country. The top four from each group go to their own respective sectional. Then the top four of sectionals go to nationals. Some skaters had byes, meaning the didn't have to compete at regionals on account of having an international competition. They now compete at sectionals to go to nationals. The sectional ranking has no effect on national scores, of course.

i see, thank you!

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
US Qualifying structure goes:

Regionals ---> Sectionals ---> Nationals.

There are 9 Regions, three per each Section. Top 4 skaters per level per discipline in each Region go to their respective Sectionals (Easterns, Midwesterns, Pacific Coasts). Then those skaters (plus any who received byes through Regionals) compete and the top 4 skaters per level per discipline go to Nationals.

thank you!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So...Angela Wang just threw down a serious SP at Sectionals with a 69.52 complete with a 3F-3T (with a 1.75 GOE!) and all level 4 elements. Depending on how she does tomorrow in the FS, she could challenge at Nationals (assuming she qualifies.)

And Ice Network just posted a video of that SP: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v1213290983 (I believe that you can view it without a subscription).

tulosai

Record Breaker
^ arghhh, if only there were a senior B this weekend that Miller or Chan could have been sent to. Then they could have gotten a bye to Nationals or make it out of sectionals ...

Honestly it doesn't bother me that these skaters weren't given byes the way it seems to bother some other people... they aren't that good, I'm sorry.

brightphoton

Medalist
Honestly it doesn't bother me that these skaters weren't given byes the way it seems to bother some other people... they aren't that good, I'm sorry.

No, they're not that "good." If we only wanted good skaters to go to nationals, we would just invite the good ol' half dozen to compete for the 4 medals and World spots.

It's good for skating to include more girls in their competitions. When more people get to advance, they feel encouraged, and are more likely to continue in the sport. Their parents are more encouraged, they're more likely to recommend the sport to their friends, etc. What if football or baseball or dance teams only let 3 athletes on their team, probably a lot fewer people would bother with those sports. It's counterproductive to only allow the "good" people to even compete at Nationals.

Besides, what's the point of keeping more girls in regionals and sectionals, when they haven't even filled the 6-6-6-6 warm up groups.

musicfan80

Medalist
No, they're not that "good." If we only wanted good skaters to go to nationals, we would just invite the good ol' half dozen to compete for the 4 medals and World spots.

It's good for skating to include more girls in their competitions. When more people get to advance, they feel encouraged, and are more likely to continue in the sport. Their parents are more encouraged, they're more likely to recommend the sport to their friends, etc. What if football or baseball or dance teams only let 3 athletes on their team, probably a lot fewer people would bother with those sports. It's counterproductive to only allow the "good" people to even compete at Nationals.

Besides, what's the point of keeping more girls in regionals and sectionals, when they haven't even filled the 6-6-6-6 warm up groups.

If GoldenSkate had a "Post of the Day" - this would be my nomination! :)

I will use the football analogy in another way - why have 12345 College Bowl games every year when most of them have teams who couldn't even dominate their conferences? Or have barely winning records? Because it's great for schools to be able to have the chance to promote themselves (and yes, it's about $$$$ as well), even if it's something like the Outback Bowl or Liberty Bowl.

Obviously, the dream is to make a playoff bowl and especially the National Championship game - but it is still well worth a team's effort to be playing some bowl game during the holiday season.

tulosai

Record Breaker

I think byes should be reserved, generally, for girls who have (1) earned them through the system in place, i.e. high placement at nationals or (2) have the potential to actually medal at international competitions (need not be potential to medal at Worlds or anything, but the realistic hope of medaling at a Senior B would be nice). I'm obviously not advocating that only 12 girls be invited to Nationals total, but we have a system in place for earning a spot at Nationals if you haven't earned a bye- Regionals and Sectionals. I don't think giving byes to these girls accomplishes anything.

Honestly also, at the Senior level anyway, I don't think that USFSA is doing a lot of these girls any favors by encouraging them to keep competing. I think it's great if they want to keep competing for love of the sport and are financially able to do so, but the financial toll of the sport to train at the level required if one is hoping to go to Nationals is so immense that honestly, if they don't have much international potential, and they don't love the sport enough to keep going even if they don't have a bye to Nationals, they really should just give it up.

Finally I've attended Nationals. I enjoy watching many of the skaters there who are not really strong skaters and have no hope of medaling. For example, at 2014 Natonals, Barbie Long was one of my favorite skaters and I don't think she even ended up in the top 10. I do want there to still be a variety of levels and skaters at Nationals. But I don't see why mediocre skaters (relative to the rest of the field) shouldn't have to earn their place. If people think that's callous, so be it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't see how the USFS not sending ladies to compete is a valid complaint considering that they sent tons of ladies to international competition this season so far. I guess they could have sent some to Warsaw-- but it's clear to me what the purpose of it is --- is to give junior-level skaters a chance to get senior world/4cc minimums before nationals. I think all the gals in Mids had those technical minimums.

I also can't take issue with Polina going to Golden Spin since she hasn't competed yet this season.

Also Barbie Long finished 7th at 2014 nationals, but your point still applies.

I am heartbroken for Emily, but I think she will come back next year. It's clear that she is working on the Lutz and perhaps that is affecting her consistency.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It's good for skating to include more girls in their competitions. When more people get to advance, they feel encouraged, and are more likely to continue in the sport. Their parents are more encouraged, they're more likely to recommend the sport to their friends, etc. What if football or baseball or dance teams only let 3 athletes on their team, probably a lot fewer people would bother with those sports. It's counterproductive to only allow the "good" people to even compete at Nationals..

:agree: Another reason to include more in competitions is that as a spectator, whether live or through video, I enjoy what some of the skaters have to give who haven't advanced to the highest technical levels. Some of the girls show their artistic chops early. They may be, well, they are a long way from having artistic maturity; but they may show lyricism, personality, connection with their music, and the all-important ability to transfer emotion from themselves to audience members.

Lots to enjoy and appreciate, and it happens with the men, pairs, dance too. Last January a kid (sorry, can't recall his name) skating to Sinatra skated a particularly engaging section right in front of me and bedazzled me with his smile, his commitment to the character of The Voice and the music, and his desire to give the audience something.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just watched Karen's FS and I loved it! I seriously need this girl to gain some consistency because she has so much potential. Beautiful lines, huge jumps, lovely spins, and great expressions.

If only she can fix her UR and consistency problems, she could be the best well rounded skater in the world IMO.

Karen also has incredible presence on the ice. She fills the ice in a way many skaters don't, who are taller than she is.

andromache

Record Breaker
Karen has been in need of a coaching change since last season at least. Tammy Gambill's skaters are all inconsistent and have historically had a ton of talent but no ability to break through to the top; they're always almost there.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no doubt that Raf will be able to fix whatever problems Ashley is having with her jumps to get back to a higher level (though we all know her rotations will never be perfect.) With the number of GP medals Ashley has won over the years and her trips to GPF, she can probably use the year off! This isn't that big of a deal, IMO. So if she doesn't go and someone more unexpected earns their spot, good for them!

This needs to be written across the sky by airplane trail.:cool: She's won 5 gold medals at GP events, and 13 GP medals in all. She's earned medals at three Grand Prix Finals in a row, skated at four straight Grand Prix Finals, and earned GPF placement 5 times over her career.

Ashley's most recent tweet:
On the bright side, I have a lovely garden salad to eat with all of those carrots I got yesterday 😂 #laughitoff and #keeppushingforward

Way to go, Diva Wagner!! :points: This is character. This is humor, grace, personality ... just a few of the many qualities she's able to show through her skating that make her so beloved by so many. :love: :luv17: :love:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Karen has been in need of a coaching change since last season at least. Tammy Gambill's skaters are all inconsistent and have historically had a ton of talent but no ability to break through to the top; they're always almost there.

Yeah, but, you know what her skater's can do as well, if not better than the rest. Perform......Especially Inspector Gadget AKA, Richard Dornbush. I saw him live in 2011 and that young man really delivered during the Free Program and he was fresh out of Juniors. Shotaro Omori is another I used to follow because he used to compete against Joshua when they were Juniors. Vincent Zhou is doing very well and He's coached by Tammy as well, right?

Here's Vincent's SP from Yokohama. He's a great performer for still being a Junior. I hate comparisons but he reminds of Evan Lysacek when was a Junior. Thin a rake but still had big easy looking jumps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09dj_HT-jDc

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
This needs to be written across the sky by airplane trail.:cool: She's won 5 gold medals at GP events, and 13 GP medals in all. She's earned medals at three Grand Prix Finals in a row, skated at four straight Grand Prix Finals, and earned GPF placement 5 times over her career.

Ashley's most recent tweet:
On the bright side, I have a lovely garden salad to eat with all of those carrots I got yesterday 😂 #laughitoff and #keeppushingforward

Way to go, Diva Wagner!! :points: This is character. This is humor, grace, personality ... just a few of the many qualities she's able to show through her skating that make her so beloved by so many. :love: :luv17: :love:

:points: for Ashley

The season Gracie can write something like that about a bad performance, she will be World champion.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight

That may just be due to bad luck on Gambill's part. She may just not have happened upon a skater yet who is truly top tier material. It's not like there are many of those around, especially in the US.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, but, you know what her skater's can do as well, if not better than the rest. Perform......Especially Inspector Gadget AKA, Richard Dornbush. I saw him live in 2011 and that young man really delivered during the Free Program and he was fresh out of Juniors. Shotaro Omori is another I used to follow because he used to compete against Joshua when they were Juniors. Vincent Zhou is doing very well and He's coached by Tammy as well, right?

Here's Vincent's SP from Yokohama. He's a great performer for still being a Junior. I hate comparisons but he reminds of Evan Lysacek when was a Junior. Thin a rake but still had big easy looking jumps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09dj_HT-jDc

Nah! :noshake: Ricky was Sherlock Holmes, not Inspector G!

But I agree with the rest of your post. Ashley has said John Nicks taught her specific things to do to give extra performance value for audiences. Although Ashley, Richard and Karen are clearly talented, even gifted performers naturally as well. I haven't watched Shotaro.

mrrice

Record Breaker
That may just be due to bad luck on Gambill's part. She may just not have happened upon a skater yet who is truly top tier material. It's not like there are many of those around, especially in the US.

It's not the US in general. More specifically, it's the town of Corona. It's in the Boonies......California is a very long state and it takes forever in the horrible traffic to get anywhere. Even though Corona is only 48 miles from LA, On a Friday afternoon, it can you 2 hours or more to get there.