State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 71 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

amc987

On the Ice
I think Ashley will skate very well in the long in China and qualify for the GPF. I'm guessing that she might still end up top 2 in China b/c I'm Osmond and/or Radionova will mess up in the long. We'll see.

Welp. Famous last words. I do hope Ashley will fix whatever technical problems she seems to be having. She's getting high component scores, but she just can't compete with the top tier of ladies if she's putting out programs that have 2-4 ratified triples. Maybe not making the GPF will give her the time she needs to work things out before Nationals.

frida80

Record Breaker
Currently at eastern sectionals and just finished watching junior ladies! Best were Alexia and Emmy. Emmy was soooo good! No 3+3 but a perfect spiral at the crescendo of the music.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Hey, folks. I don't follow on discuss, so sorry if it asked before, but why Mariah Bell with 13 points are not listed for second event? She can fight at NHK. Or she injured? :(

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Hey, folks. I don't follow on discuss, so sorry if it asked before, but why Mariah Bell with 13 points are not listed for second event? She can fight at NHK. Or she injured? :(

No spots available and recent withdrawals were too close to comp so feds aren't obligated to fill the empty spot. Its not unusual as she was not on the original roster and was a replacement for SA. Her performance at SA will give her an edge going into nationals though.

brightphoton

Medalist

The US federation didn't assign her a GP originally because she did poorly at the last Nationals. I'm guessing that they did not think she would skate so well at Skate America and therefore wouldn't make the Grand Prix Final anyway. But in the summer, she switched coaches and got dramatically better results because of it.

Courtney Hicks and Karen Chen both got 2 GP events because they scored higher at US Nationals a few months ago. Too bad that Courtney and Karen both did ... underwhelming .... at their GP events.

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker

Because the host didn't chose her from eligible skaters to substitute for withdrawals. The selections criteria for GP is different from JGP. The USFS can't simply put her in for another GP because she does well in one GP.

Skategs are only guaranteed 2 GP by scoring in the top 12 of wotlds. Then strongly likely to get two for scoring in the to 25 of the world ranking. After that Feds will bargain with others to get their skaters in other GP. Naturally each fed gets to put in their own skaters. So all that is left are substitution spots. Feds want to improve the likelihood of their own skaters making it to the GPF, so a skater they already medalled in a GP is a threat to their own skaters.

Very bad luck for Mariah. But that's the way it goes.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Because the host didn't chose her from eligible skaters to substitute for withdrawals. The selections criteria for GP is different from JGP. The USFS can't simply put her in for another GP because she does well in one GP.

Skategs are only guaranteed 2 GP by scoring in the top 12 of wotlds. Then strongly likely to get two for scoring in the to 25 of the world ranking. After that Feds will bargain with others to get their skaters in other GP. Naturally each fed gets to put in their own skaters. So all that is left are substitution spots. Feds want to improve the likelihood of their own skaters making it to the GPF, so a skater they already medalled in a GP is a threat to their own skaters.

Very bad luck for Mariah. But that's the way it goes.

Oh really? what a shame!

I was so sure to see Mariah again in Japan :slink:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
The US federation didn't assign her a GP originally because she did poorly at the last Nationals. I'm guessing that they did not think she would skate so well at Skate America and therefore wouldn't make the Grand Prix Final anyway. But in the summer, she switched coaches and got dramatically better results because of it.

Courtney Hicks and Karen Chen both got 2 GP events because they scored higher at US Nationals a few months ago. Too bad that Courtney and Karen both did ... underwhelming .... at their GP events.

The US only assigns to Skate America. The other hosts do their own inviting. And Mariah Bell was just not very high up on the season best list so she did not get an assignment. She only got SA at the last minute.

frida80

Record Breaker
Oh really? what a shame!

I was so sure to see Mariah again in Japan :slink:

It is a shame. But very inspiring comeback after nationals last year. I was ready to cry after she started to cry after sheleft the ice. Her medal at SA warms my heart.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
It is a shame. But very inspiring comeback after nationals last year. I was ready to cry after she started to cry after sheleft the ice. Her medal at SA warms my heart.

Yes, she cried at the boards and said to kori ade, "I can't believe I just did that." And kori consoled her. My heart ached for her because she is so beautiful to watch.

frida80

Record Breaker
Yes, she cried at the boards and said to kori ade, "I can't believe I just did that." And kori consoled her. My heart ached for her because she is so beautiful to watch.

I call the Zayak revision for this season the Mariah Bell revision because no one that saw her at nationals could honestly say that rule wasn't ridiculous for making entire jump combos invalid because of just one additional 2T. I'm glad she's made such progress over the last year. I can't wait to watch her next week at Talin.

andromache

Record Breaker
I have no doubt that Raf will be able to fix whatever problems Ashley is having with her jumps to get back to a higher level (though we all know her rotations will never be perfect.) With the number of GP medals Ashley has won over the years and her trips to GPF, she can probably use the year off! This isn't that big of a deal, IMO. So if she doesn't go and someone more unexpected earns their spot, good for them!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Is it time to declare a State of Emergency?

:laugh: No.

BUT, may be time to revisit some of the more ambitious predictions for the future. For example, it is not a done deal that the US will have a medal contender in Korea, or even that they will get to send 3 ladies there.

Thing about the GP is, it is a poor predictor of the rest of the season. I've been around long enough to see numerous skaters go from near-disastrous GP outings to sudden renaissance at the Championships - and vice versa. It is still relatively early, and Wagner/Gold will have a couple of months to prep for nationals.

So when does the so-called "State of Emergency" trigger get pulled? IMO, if Wagner/Gold fail to make the World team (or get injured and have to pull out).

Nathan13

Medalist
:laugh: No.

BUT, may be time to revisit some of the more ambitious predictions for the future. For example, it is not a done deal that the US will have a medal contender in Korea, or even that they will get to send 3 ladies there.

Thing about the GP is, it is a poor predictor of the rest of the season. I've been around long enough to see numerous skaters go from near-disastrous GP outings to sudden renaissance at the Championships - and vice versa. It is still relatively early, and Wagner/Gold will have a couple of months to prep for nationals.

So when does the so-called "State of Emergency" trigger get pulled? IMO, if Wagner/Gold fail to make the World team (or get injured and have to pull out).

True, but I saw an opening for a fun play on words and I couldn't resist :biggrin:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
In non-GP news, Junior and Senior Ladies' SPs at Pacific Coast Sectionals are today and I'm excited.

Juniors has Starr Andrews, Kaitlyn Nguyen, JGP competitors Gabrielle Noullet and Nina Ouellette, and perpetual Goldenskate favorite Liza Kulik among others

- Live Results will be here: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2017/24266/CAT013SEG023.html

Seniors has Caroline Zhang and Angela Wang among others

- Live Results will be here: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2017/24266/CAT017SEG033.html

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Other Sectionals results too:

(Click on the + sign at the top right or for each individual skater to see FS protocols. Or click on "Judges Detailed Scores" for a PDF of protocols. Click on Short Program to get the results for just the SP)

Nationals Qualifiers from
Easterns Junior Ladies: Alexia Paganini, Emmy Ma, Brynne McIsaac, Haley Beavers

Easterns Senior Ladies: Franchesa Chiera, Megan Wessenberg, Katie McBeath, Rebecca Peng

FS not yet finished:

Midwesterns Junior Ladies FS begins in about 25 minutes. Ashley Kim and Ashley Lin are currently in 1st and 2nd respectively.

Midwesterns Senior Ladies FS begins in about 4 hours and 20 minutes. Current top 4 are Hannah Miller, Emily Chan, Tessa Hong, and Audrey Shin. Amber Glenn sits in 5th after her solo jump was invalidated when she singled it, but the range from 1st to 5th is less than 4 points. The FS will be interesting.

mrrice

Record Breaker
With Ashley's result in China, do we have a US Lady who could possibly make the final? It seems the only Lady who's been consistent is Mariah Bell. Is there anyone else who has a chance. Is Mirai still in contention?

eta

Medalist
With Ashley's result in China, do we have a US Lady who could possibly make the final? It seems the only Lady who's been consistent is Mariah Bell. Is there anyone else who has a chance. Is Mirai still in contention?

No other US lady is doing better than Ashley this season.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

No one is in contention except for Ashley and her chances are slim but the ice is slippery. Mirai can help her out by playing spoiler and finishing ahead of some of the favorites at NHK but that's about it.