Stolbova/Klimov out of Worlds | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Stolbova/Klimov out of Worlds

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
They should have tried at least ... they are probably still disappointed after the EC :no:

turgon97

On the Ice
After there 4CC, they seem to be going downhill. Let's think about this. Anger can't be the reason, if anything it should motivate them more. They definitely had a shot at a medal, it was pretty much a guarantee, the only people that could beat them were s/k and d/r and thats really it, Chinese don't really have the PCS yet. But then what else? Why are they preparing for the next season now? It's wayyyy tooo early. I still can't imagine, they don't want another silver? Oh hell no I cannot take a Viktoria Komova from Figure skating. I CANT HAVE IT. NOT AGAIN.

I thought the same thing. Komova's habit of throwing away routines after a bobble or not trying hard enough to save on a fall was extremely infuriating. Grow a backbone!

I dont know why S/K would throw away the most important event of the season because of fluke errors made during the past 3 events where they still did particularly well (finishing no lower than silver). After all, D/R arent infallible and they arent immune to mistakes on their lutzes. either. The world gold isnt set in stone; and since there isnt any indication of injury, I dont see the harm in fighting for a medal. Figure skating careers are rather short- why throw away a year because of some childishness? I think Stolbova takes herself a bit too seriously- far more than an average olympic medalist. This is a sport-mistakes are a given and one musnt let negativity over simple things to steep overlong (which I feel mustve caused this withdrawal). If you read her interviews after events where she singled a planned double toeloop, her reactions and self-deprecations are so extreme that one would think she was joking.

ex: After the GPF "“I realized that I was either overrotating or underrotating it and I opened and had to save it how I could and I singled,” said the 22-year-old. “I am a fool. That says it all.”"

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
Would love to see Kavaguti and Smirnov win Worlds! They are a couple drama-queens/kings too but they have hung in there and have a really good program if they pull it together and Alexander doesn't run out of gas by the end. C'mon you two!!!

pandatours

On the Ice
Would love to see Kavaguti and Smirnov win Worlds! They are a couple drama-queens/kings too but they have hung in there and have a really good program if they pull it together and Alexander doesn't run out of gas by the end. C'mon you two!!!

I would love to see this too, though Kavaguti has looked way thinner now than she ever has in the past. I know she's always been petite but it's actually quite scary and I feel like she's lost a bit of spark because of it.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I don't know what kind of attitude she has in training life... but it was pretty clear to me what kind she had during that event.

Were you somehow confused as to how that looked? Can you not imagine how he must have felt?

"He managed to deal with her so far" Are you serious? That's the basis for him continuing a long-term partnership with someone who acted that way on a global stage? He's manged to put up with it so far?

As has been brought up, it's not even clear that there is even a split to be discussed, but it's a fan message board. In the face of such an odd turn of events, we can hardly be blamed for engaging in speculation.

One thing we all seem to agree on though... just skipping out on the WC is a strange. If a similar circumstance has happened before with such a highly ranked and respected pair, I don't remember it.

I'm sorry, but do you sound pretty riled up about my statement? We don't even know how they handled the situation back stage and after the event. And yes, they have been skating together for quite some time, and I'm sure he knows her pretty well, bad temper and all. From what I've seen from them overall, it looked to me as if they were getting along fine and that he respected and liked her as a partner. I even read somewhere they joke together sometimes about her bad temper. And how she acts in general, all-day practices and stuff, I'd guess is a lot more important than that one event we saw at Euros.
And it's very likely he felt awful in that situation. But guess what, he probably would have felt bad anyway, because he just made a pretty unusual (and I'm sorry - stupid) mistake that lost them the gold and quite a chunk of momentum going into worlds. Of course an understanding partner would have been good in that situation, but nobodies perfect. I guess with a lot of pairs you just don't see the dirt. IMO, I'd rather have someone who would be harsh in that moment but got over it 2 days later and everything would be back to normal than somebody who would play nice that moment but then be resentful afterwards. It all comes down to what kind of character you can get along with. I just thought you made her sound like she was some kind of arrogant *itch, and I think that's exaggerated :shrug:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, but do you sound pretty riled up about my statement? We don't even know how they handled the situation back stage and after the event. And yes, they have been skating together for quite some time, and I'm sure he knows her pretty well, bad temper and all. From what I've seen from them overall, it looked to me as if they were getting along fine and that he respected and liked her as a partner. I even read somewhere they joke together sometimes about her bad temper. And how she acts in general, all-day practices and stuff, I'd guess is a lot more important than that one event we saw at Euros.
And it's very likely he felt awful in that situation. But guess what, he probably would have felt bad anyway, because he just made a pretty unusual (and I'm sorry - stupid) mistake that lost them the gold and quite a chunk of momentum going into worlds. Of course an understanding partner would have been good in that situation, but nobodies perfect. I guess with a lot of pairs you just don't see the dirt. IMO, I'd rather have someone who would be harsh in that moment but got over it 2 days later and everything would be back to normal than somebody who would play nice that moment but then be resentful afterwards. It all comes down to what kind of character you can get along with. I just thought you made her sound like she was some kind of arrogant *itch, and I think that's exaggerated :shrug:

Stolbova extreme anger lasted hours publicly!!

BlackPack

Medalist
Stolbova has grit. These are the same qualities that have made her successful. It's always a Catch-22. With every gift, you also get a challenge. It may look too aggressive and obvious for some, but without this grit/perfectionism, she won't be where she is today, nor will her partner. What about all the people who are really nice and sweet in public but are nasty in private?

I just want to know why they would forfeit going to Worlds... sad... :cry:

parom11

Spectator
In the interview Mozer explains that S/K will miss the worlds because they are tired and because they need to prepare better for the next season. She says if they went to the WC, it would not be enough time to prepare what they want for the next season. In particular, she mentions that S/K are learning a quad and want to prepare new programs with new ideas. Besides the quad, it seems that they are thinking of landing 3-3 or 3-3-2 jumps in free program.

IMO, they could be beaten not only by D/R (this is most certainly without huge mistakes from D/R), but also by K/S and one of the Chinese pair given that the Worlds will be in China. So it seems like a smart move from Mozer

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
What a strange decision they made. They chose the SP music and choreography to aim for the Chinese audience at World, but withdrew without plausible reasoning. Many expected them as heavy favorite for the silver medalists not for the gold even without V/T, so taking silver again is intolerable? Even if the decision were out of the unsportsmanship motive, the withdrawal at this time still doesn't add up given that they just have one world medal so far. Their next year's winning World medal would be getting slimmer like downgrading to bronze or off-podium after V/T and the other's comeback.

Amei

Record Breaker
In the interview Mozer explains that S/K will miss the worlds because they are tired and because they need to prepare better for the next season. She says if they went to the WC, it would not be enough time to prepare what they want for the next season. In particular, she mentions that S/K are learning a quad and want to prepare new programs with new ideas. Besides the quad, it seems that they are thinking of landing 3-3 or 3-3-2 jumps in free program.

IMO, they could be beaten not only by D/R (this is most certainly without huge mistakes from D/R), but also by K/S and one of the Chinese pair given that the Worlds will be in China. So it seems like a smart move from Mozer

That's smart of them, they know that next season they are going to have to contend with V/T again and they are going to have to up their technical arsenal. Sometimes skaters have to look beyond 1 competition, similar to Wagner skipping the 4CC.

donezo

On the Ice
LOL I have never heard of this happening before. Can they just really not bear the thought of losing to Duhamel/Radford??? Bizarre. I wonder if the partnership will survive the summer.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Rooting for a Kavaguti/Sminov win with their fab free skate!

Agree! When they skate at their best, these are the most beautiful set of programs I have ever seen in pairs. (Yes, even rivaling the 1988 Olympic Gold Medalists)

Last edited:

BlackPack

Medalist
Maybe they have a deal with K&S to let them win a World medal and then S&K will come next season with a vengeance, take no prisoners:popcorn:

gmyers

Record Breaker

There are many times and instances of teams and skaters just having a bad worlds after a difficult season but then s/k season hasn't been that bad! And why would s/k be so convinced their worlds will be bad? But better not go then have one of those legendary bomb performances that people still talk about?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's smart of them, they know that next season they are going to have to contend with V/T again and they are going to have to up their technical arsenal. Sometimes skaters have to look beyond 1 competition, similar to Wagner skipping the 4CC.

I'm still looking for another case of where an obvious podium candidate skipped the World Championships because they wanted to get started on next year's program. Not counting an Olympic year when Olympic medalists skip Worlds with some regularity.

This just doesn't make sense. I'm sure we're not hearing the whole story.