Stolbova/Klimov out of Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Stolbova/Klimov out of Worlds

gmyers

Record Breaker
If she were pulling a Plushenko she would WD after the Worlds SP warmup, instead of earlier so another team like Ast/Rog can replace them. :sarcasm:

The rules were interpreted so that kovtun or voronov would not have been able to replace plushenko.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
What the heck...? This doesn't make sense.

If they're not injured, not splitting... isn't a silver/bronze better than nothing? (Heck, even fourth place isn't worse than nothing).

I get needing to prepare for next season, but why skip the most important competition of the season? I mean, if they're five-time World champions like S/S, it makes sense to skip it if they don't feel ready... but for all we know, this could be their best chance to win Worlds. A perfect S/K could've beaten what D/R put out at 4CC.

NaVi

Medalist
Good lord, there's a lot of ridiculous discussion here... it's very logical. They had a horrible Euros... they were beaten by their fellow countrymen(who may be close to retirement...)... they have already won a World's silver... they are not the favorites for Gold... the event is in China and Pairs is their marquee event(I wouldn't be surprised if an arrangement was made)... and increasing their tech content takes time and I'm guessing it may not be going so well thus far.

gmyers

Record Breaker
What the heck...? This doesn't make sense.

If they're not injured, not splitting... isn't a silver/bronze better than nothing? (Heck, even fourth place isn't worse than nothing).

I get needing to prepare for next season, but why skip the most important competition of the season? I mean, if they're five-time World champions like S/S, it makes sense to skip it if they don't feel ready... but for all we know, this could be their best chance to win Worlds. A perfect S/K could've beaten what D/R put out at 4CC.

It's true it makes no sense! The only way it could possibly make any sense is stuff that's already being said and that they onlywin if d/r makes mistakes . That does them. No favors because they are depicted as weak.!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Don't know why I am not super surprised. Since they rose to the scene last season, I liked Stolbova's composure at competitions. But recently, I feel she is just too cool to the extent of being cold. Before they reached the current level a few years ago, their throws and twists looked very labored to me, and in the past few competitions, I kind of see that coming back, perhaps because she is not as thin as last season.

whatif

Medalist
This season's perfect S/K will never beat this season's perfect D/R. They knew it and were actually vocal about it during Grand Prix.
I suspect that not that D/R influenced this decision but a very strong showing by K/S and by slew of Chinese teams. They are afraid they won't even get on the podium in Shanghai and also lose out to their teammates.

LRK

Record Breaker
On reading the thread title:

Good gracious! :jaw:

After reading the article:

I don't understand... :scratch:

And now on to reading the thread.

micnow

Rinkside
they are not the favorites for Gold... the event is in China and Pairs is their marquee event(I wouldn't be surprised if an arrangement was made)...

What an arrangement?
Do you think Pang/Tong, who recently trained in Moscow asked them not to compete to strenghen their own medal hopes? What a conspiracy.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How do you want to know what kind of attitude she has in all-day training life? I'm pretty sure with the heat of competition it's a different game. He managed to deal with her so far.

I don't think they'll split. It's a unexpected and kinda weird decision, but if they want to get a headstart for next season, so be it. They will need something to keep them in the game next season if/when V/T come back, and if they want to bank on getting harder technical elements over the momentum of maybe-world champions, than go for it. They did have a long olympic season - doing the Warsaw Cup, two GPs, Universiade, Nationals, Euros, Olympics + team event and then worlds. And maybe they realized they miscalculated for this season and are losing steam already.

I don't know what kind of attitude she has in training life... but it was pretty clear to me what kind she had during that event.

Were you somehow confused as to how that looked? Can you not imagine how he must have felt?

"He managed to deal with her so far" Are you serious? That's the basis for him continuing a long-term partnership with someone who acted that way on a global stage? He's manged to put up with it so far?

As has been brought up, it's not even clear that there is even a split to be discussed, but it's a fan message board. In the face of such an odd turn of events, we can hardly be blamed for engaging in speculation.

One thing we all seem to agree on though... just skipping out on the WC is a strange. If a similar circumstance has happened before with such a highly ranked and respected pair, I don't remember it.

NaVi

Medalist
What an arrangement?
Do you think Pang/Tong, who recently trained in Moscow asked them not to compete to strenghen their own medal hopes? What a conspiracy.

Well, them getting out pretty much ensures China will get a medal... and that wouldn't be a completely sure thing if they were skating.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I think what's really strange is that they're planning to come back in next year's Euros and not compete in the GP series

MIM

Medalist
. Ice is slippery, D/R could have a total meltdown at Worlds, and S/K are missing out on the win. I respect the desire to win, but to choose not to compete just because the chance at first place seems slim is ridiculous. They'll never know if they don't compete.
My thoughts exactly!

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
It's sad news, but I am super glad we'll see wonderful programs from Astakhova/Rogonov once more! I enjoyed them so much at Rostelecom cup!

Edit: I don't think they withdrew because they don't want to lose. They just want to step back for a while so that they have more time to prepare new tech. Mozer's team is really strategic about it and they set their goal for the next Olympics already. Probably, that's a smart decision in long-term perspective. But a sad one for the fans :mad:

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow, this is a huge surprise and now assures China of a medal and most likely two. D and R will have to contend with nerves and the Chinese. Wouldn't it be wonderful if K and S won gold ( I say this as P and T have world titles and oly medals so it would be nice kind of the forgotten team pulled it together and won gold.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
what is really interesting is that Russia remains competitive despite really losing their no. 1 and 2 in ice dancing, pairs and ladies. Who would have thought.

tulosai

Record Breaker
But there isn't even a partner available at her level. . . .

Deputat could probably be available. I think it would be logical for him to dump Bazarova for her given the opportunity, I am sorry.

But I really dislike this attitude of "if we won't win gold we should withdraw." Which isn't the attitude being expressed for certain (we're just speculating), but if that's the case then it's very disappointing. Ice is slippery, D/R could have a total meltdown at Worlds, and S/K are missing out on the win. I respect the desire to win, but to choose not to compete just because the chance at first place seems slim is ridiculous. They'll never know if they don't compete.

Word.

I think what's really strange is that they're planning to come back in next year's Euros and not compete in the GP series

Yeah to me something about this is not 100% adding up. I don't see what they'd have to gain by concealing a split (unless the RusFed and their coach are frantically trying to do anything they can to undo a split, which frankly, is not impossible, but is so unlikely as to be not worth seriously considering at this time. Maybe one of them is having mental issues of some kind. But it is odd.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, this is a huge surprise and now assures China of a medal and most likely two. D and R will have to contend with nerves and the Chinese. Wouldn't it be wonderful if K and S won gold ( I say this as P and T have world titles and oly medals so it would be nice kind of the forgotten team pulled it together and won gold.

No way, SB. I'm not a huge fan of D/R from a stylistic point of view, but they have truly advanced the sport, in my opinion. They have really, really raised the level of pairs skating technically, and I think their programs have been game-changers because of it.

They deserve this WC, and I hope they get it.

After that, all bets are off, as other couples will be working their tails off to match their TES.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
No way, SB. I'm not a huge fan of D/R from a stylistic point of view, but they have truly advanced the sport, in my opinion. They have really, really raised the level of pairs skating technically, and I think their programs have been game-changers because of it.

They deserve this WC, and I hope they get it.

After that, all bets are off, as other couples will be working their tails off to match their TES.
I actually agree with SB in this case. Kavaguti/Smirnov have the most brilliant LP, and they've been close a few times but never got it together. It would be a joy to finally see them bring it. And, imo, they are every bit as technically daring as D/R. They tossed around that throw 4S for years, braved numerous injuries, and are still skating quite well at an age/condition where most people would've called it quits. If they go clean, they would make excellent World champions.