Stolbova/Klimov out of Worlds | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Stolbova/Klimov out of Worlds

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are many times and instances of teams and skaters just having a bad worlds after a difficult season but then s/k season hasn't been that bad! And why would s/k be so convinced their worlds will be bad? But better not go then have one of those legendary bomb performances that people still talk about?

I sense we're on the same path here. I really think there is more to the story than is being shared in these couple of articles. Don't you?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I sense we're on the same path here. I really think there is more to the story than is being shared in these couple of articles. Don't you?

Of course!! This is entirely unprecedented! This is not skipping a post Olympic worlds. This is not skipping a gpf or nationals or euros to change a program. This is skipping a worlds and a very good chance at a medal to maybe win a medal the next year? What? Sure it was a major strategy of linichuk in dance not to compete against your toughest opponents before Olympics or worlds but this is not even that! And that was her strategy in Olympic years!

bekalc

Record Breaker
I wonder if this is another case of a Russian man saying "Thanks, but no thanks" to the stereotypical Russian diva?

Or, maybe after Euros, she's dumping him for being unreliable.

One bad skate does not make someone unreliable. Everyone can have a bad skate once in awhile. I can't think of many male partners who are MORE reliable then him. If she's dumping him for that one mistake. She's a fool.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
One bad skate does not make someone unreliable. Everyone can have a bad skate once in awhile. I can't think of many male partners who are MORE reliable then him. If she's dumping him for that one mistake. She's a fool.

There's no proof that anyone has been "dumped." People's imaginations are certainly working overtime lately.

gmyers

Record Breaker

It wouldn't be one but rather three disappointments. Gpf disappointment russian nationals and euros

bekalc

Record Breaker
There's no proof that anyone has been "dumped." People's imaginations are certainly working overtime lately.

I know I was just commenting on the dumping him for being unreliable. I was pointing out how does one bad skate make someone unreliable? I would like to think she wouldn't dump a partner for one bad skate, because if that's the route she's going no partner will last very long.....

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

No no no. I'm not commenting on his reliability. I'm speculating... guessing... making unsubstantiated ponderings.... as to why she might dump him.

bekalc

Record Breaker
It wouldn't be one but rather three disappointments. Gpf disappointment russian nationals and euros

Wasn't SHE the one who made the mistake at GPF (they were set to lose anyways).. And there were falls on the throws at Nationals Perhaps they are having issues with timing on throws due to them training a quad. (not sure who is at fault for the throws)

donezo

On the Ice
Didn't he also screw up the death spiral in the SP at Rostelecom last season? I seem to recall quite the death stare from Ms. Stolbova.

sses1

On the Ice
These elements that they're working on better be amazing because I don't understand their logic. It took D/R just the off season to learn their quad. P/Z got the quad twist in their first season together or something like that. Why do S/K need to take off so much time to learn elements? They looked fine at Art on Ice, no sign of fatigue there. I'm just disappointed that they're out of Worlds. Its strange, it looks bad and now we're going to miss out on what was sure to be an epic showdown.

samson

Medalist
Wow. Yeah this is somehow equal parts shocking and not surprising at all. They were having a rough time finding the momentum to be at the top I think they were expecting to have this year and they definitely need to up their content if they want to be world contenders eventually. Neither program they had this year was particularly interested or memorable.

It does make me wonder... could Alexa and Chris have a chance of getting into the top 6 now?? They seem to be getting stronger as the season goes on, but they were by no means perfect at 4CC so they certainly have room to grow. At the moment I would say their not up to par with the three Chinese Teams, Kavaguti and Smirnov or Duhamel and Radford. But I would put them ahead of Tarasova and Morozov right now, and they are way ahead of everyone else as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's doable now that Stolbova and Klimov are out.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry, but do you sound pretty riled up about my statement? We don't even know how they handled the situation back stage and after the event. And yes, they have been skating together for quite some time, and I'm sure he knows her pretty well, bad temper and all. From what I've seen from them overall, it looked to me as if they were getting along fine and that he respected and liked her as a partner. I even read somewhere they joke together sometimes about her bad temper. And how she acts in general, all-day practices and stuff, I'd guess is a lot more important than that one event we saw at Euros.
And it's very likely he felt awful in that situation. But guess what, he probably would have felt bad anyway, because he just made a pretty unusual (and I'm sorry - stupid) mistake that lost them the gold and quite a chunk of momentum going into worlds. Of course an understanding partner would have been good in that situation, but nobodies perfect. I guess with a lot of pairs you just don't see the dirt. IMO, I'd rather have someone who would be harsh in that moment but got over it 2 days later and everything would be back to normal than somebody who would play nice that moment but then be resentful afterwards. It all comes down to what kind of character you can get along with. I just thought you made her sound like she was some kind of arrogant *itch, and I think that's exaggerated :shrug:

Yeah. I guess that was what I was getting at.

You're also right that I'm finely attuned to the diva drama, and that I don't find it amusing, romantic, or justified.

I had to work on a team once with someone who acted like that, and I can tell you. It is MISERABLE. Never knowing when the tantrum would come... never knowing what it would be about... knowing that it had been tolerated before.

The instant I could use her hissy-fits to manipulate her into making a fatal career mistake, I pounced. When she was fired, I celebrated. The whole team celebrated.

BlackPack

Medalist

You're also right that I'm finely attuned to the diva drama, and that I don't find it amusing, romantic, or justified.

I had to work on a team once with someone who acted like that, and I can tell you. It is MISERABLE. Never knowing when the tantrum would come... never knowing what it would be about... knowing that it had been tolerated before.

The instant I could use her hissy-fits to manipulate her into making a fatal career mistake, I pounced. When she was fired, I celebrated. The whole team celebrated.

Tonto, while I can understand you see something in Stolbova that you saw in your former colleague, that doesn't mean it's true. Of course, you can also be right. For all we know, Stolbova can be a nice person with a bad temper and couldn't less about appearing like a sweet princess.

There are so many speculations on this thread, and until it's Trankov-ed, we don't know why. Speculations range from her "He can't take her death stares anymore" to "They only want gold"... we don't know the truth. What's taking Trankov so long this time?:shrug:

Amei

Record Breaker

You may have been 'attuned' to drama from your coworker, but your only experience with Ksenia is through a TV and at the most stressful level... No person is perfect and Fedor may think Ksenia is the best partner for him.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, BlackPack. Of course, you're right. She could be Mother Teresa on Ice, but was just having a tremendously bad day, for which she apologized profusely and bought him a new car.

Your second paragraph is also full of truth.

Still, it's natural and fun to speculate, and the news certainly leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You may have been 'attuned' to drama from your coworker, but your only experience with Ksenia is through a TV and at the most stressful level... No person is perfect and Fedor may think Ksenia is the best partner for him.

You're right. I'm only basing my opinion on how she acted towards her partner, when the chips were down at a very important event, on global TV in front of a worldwide audience.

Our posts crossed, so you probably missed where I conceded that it was no big deal.

Amei

Record Breaker
. For all we know, Stolbova can be a nice person with a bad temper and couldn't less about appearing like a sweet princess.

Yep and I see a lot of people on this board celebrating 'diva' Wagner and saying not everyone should be the 'princess' :shrug:

What's taking Trankov so long this time?:shrug:

Aren't they both coached by Mozer? Perhaps it's been asked that whatever is going on be kept between the team.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Didn't he also screw up the death spiral in the SP at Rostelecom last season? I seem to recall quite the death stare from Ms. Stolbova.
The point of it is that if she is leaving because she wants someone more reliable well good luck to that. People make mistakes.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Are they really that disappointed in what has transpired this season? I feel like pulling out of Worlds will set them back for next year, they're pretty much guaranteed a World medal, even if they don't get gold and just skate 2 good programs it would give them a lot of momentum going into next season considering V/T are still a bit of a question mark due to Trankov's injury.

salchowx4

On the Ice
Wow.

Wow.

Wow!

This is shocking. No one skips Worlds unless they have an injury or are so well respected and awarded that they can take time off from competition with no harm to their rep. (*cough* Plushenko *cough*)

I wonder what the real reason could possibly be. Hope they aren't splitting up.