Strong group bond for USA ice dancers at OWG | Golden Skate

Strong group bond for USA ice dancers at OWG

ice coverage

Record Breaker
OMG, I am in tears :sad4: over the lovely new USOC article about the mutual history/affection/admiration :ghug: among Hubbell/Donohue, the Shibs, and Chock/Bates.

With A Lifetime Of Memories Together, Team USA’s 3 Strong Ice Dance Teams Ready To Take On PyeongChang

.... Their scores might be close, but each would argue that their bond as a group might be even closer. ...

Hubbell says getting to share her Olympic experience with people she’s also shared decades of friendship with has made it even more special.
“There’s definitely pride in being here with Team USA, but more specifically to be here with these two teams from U.S. Figure Skating .... It’s more of a family atmosphere and I can’t wait to share these moments with them.”

... apparently there are embarrassing old pictures of rhinestone-clad Hubbell and Maia Shibutani to prove it. The two used to always request to room together any chance they got at out-of-town competitions.

On the other hand, Hubbell has Bates and his family to thank for facilitating her and her brother’s entrance into the sport of ice dance in the first place.

“I very distinctly remember growing up…” she began, “We were in training together in [Ann Arbor, Michigan] and my brother and he were best friends.”

“We lived a little bit far from the rink, so I had many times during the week that I would stay at his family’s home … I felt like I grew up with Evan’s family and that’s one thing that I definitely carry with me here,” Hubbell said. “It feels like home to be here sharing this experience with him.”

The anecdote brought forth a lot of emotion for Bates, who was visibly choked up. ...

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2018/F...her-Team-USAs-3-Strong-Ice-Dance-Teams-Ready? (Feb 18)​

Good luck to everyone tonight in the individual SD :yay:.