Strong Opinions v. Bashing | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Strong Opinions v. Bashing

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Regarding the illness as an excuse...I just read the most recent BOI which covers every Grand Prix event this year and the Grand Prix Final and I can't count how many skaters said they were sick after a poor performance! I don't think the skaters are necessarily using it as an excuse...everyone skates while sick at some point, but it helps explain why the skater wasn't at their best.

I really feel for skaters because sometimes it seems like they can't win. If they say they were sick after the fact then they're just coming up with an excuse. If they say they're sick before a competition then they're covering their bases. If they're sick or injured and withdraw before a competion then they're afraid of the competition. :rolleye:

purplecat said:
I really feel for skaters because sometimes it seems like they can't win. If they say they were sick after the fact then they're just coming up with an excuse. If they say they're sick before a competition then they're covering their bases. If they're sick or injured and withdraw before a competion then they're afraid of the competition. :rolleye:
Purplecat, ITA. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, damned if do and don't. If they skate injured and do well, they're courageous. But if we find out later they made the injury worse, they're stupid and didn't listen to their body. If the skate injured and do poorly, they weren't listening to their body and never should have skated. But if they had withdrawn, they would have really just been trying to cover that they'd choked. I can think of a lot more permutations and conundrums, but you get the idea. I sure hope the skaters don't read the boards, they've got enough to handle with Dick and Peggy and the media:laugh:
Rgirl

Last edited: