Such a very unexpected change, hehe! | Golden Skate

Such a very unexpected change, hehe!

The Russian Federation really plays hardball with it's athletes. You're the golden boy one minute, in the garbage can the next.

Kasey

Medalist
Buzzz,

from what I could make out of that article, Piseev has already named Klimkin and Griazev to represent Russia, with Uspenski "maybe" an alternate. Someone at Jr. Worlds said that Uspenski may have had some problem with his back or something there. Perhaps that contributed to his less-than-acceptable (per the Russian Skating Fed) performance? Not sure. I just know that according to this, he won't be going unless Griazev or Klimkin drops out at the last minute.

I've never seen Uspenski and was looking forward to maybe see him in Worlds. I've seen Griazev several times. He's a hit or miss type.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
I just had a thought that these sudden changes aren't really doing the Russian Federation a whole lot of good. It dumped Lezin after a lackluster showing at his first Euros only to replace him with Dobrin who skated horribly at worlds. How can these guys develop any sense of how to compete if they can't work out their competitive issues?

Vitacus

Rinkside
Thanks for the info, Kasey! I do think Griazev is the better choice and hopefully he can redeem himself with kick a$$ performances.

It seems that Plushenko is now the first substitute, which makes me wonder if he would go should any of them withdraw? Uspenski is now listed as second substitute.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
soogar said:
I just had a thought that these sudden changes aren't really doing the Russian Federation a whole lot of good. It dumped Lezin after a lackluster showing at his first Euros only to replace him with Dobrin who skated horribly at worlds. How can these guys develop any sense of how to compete if they can't work out their competitive issues?

My thoughts exaclty, these guys can't even get the their training schedules sorted because they don't know whther they will or won't be competing. The russian federation shoots itself in the foot - and that will only play out over the next couple of seasons given that they don't have a male or female singles skater (depending on what Plushy decides to do next season) who can challenge for the podium. Their Pairs are also in trouble with the hopes resting on the inconsistent Obertas & Slavnov. I don't think they even have anyone in dance that could challenge the podium do they?

Perhaps a change in policy is the way to go.

Ant

gkelly

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
I don't think they even have anyone in dance that could challenge the podium do they?

Domnina/Shabalin might at least challenge by next year, depending who else retires, whether they improve, and how the politics go. I'm guessing that bronze at 2007 Europeans and top 5 at 2007 Worlds will be a reasonable goal for them.