SYTYCD Season 15! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

SYTYCD Season 15!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NoNameFace, I agree with everything you said but I must say that Darius & Magda stood out the most to me.

I really didn't like the fact they had the non-tapper, tap, I felt sorry for her. I just think she may get the boot, I just didn't think it was fair. I think tapping is totally sooooooo different.

sworddance21

On the Ice
NoNameFace, I agree with everything you said but I must say that Darius & Magda stood out the most to me.

I really didn't like the fact they had the non-tapper, tap, I felt sorry for her. I just think she may get the boot, I just didn't think it was fair. I think tapping is totally sooooooo different.

I agree - tap is a totally unique technique and there was no way she was going to be able to pull it off. The choreography was great and gave them the best shot at succeeding - but it had to be watered down for her, so didn't let him shine. I thought it was a terrible choice and completely unfair to both of them.

heyang

Record Breaker
Perhaps tap should wait for further into the show....

I do disagree with some statement of the judges. Nigel praised JJ's samba as the best he's ever seen on SYTYCD, but I think Joshua Allen's is the best samba by a non-ballroom dancer on SYTYCD.

Since the title is AMerica's favorite dancer, personality and charisma are part of the competition and I'm sure weighs in on the judges choices to go to competition. I think JJ and Jenson have a lot of chemistry …. also, Jenson probably has some fan base as a result of being Lindsay's sister. Not necessarily to get her to the finals but definitely was a jump start.

While I don't think Magda should've gone home based upon her performances during week2 , she probably would've been gone based upon the hip hop performance this week.

Part of the voting also includes the choreography which isn't always the fault of the dancers. I can recall that there were some#'s in the past that the dancers performed well, but the dance itself wasn't appealing to most.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Darius in the bottom 2, what is happening in the world today??? :palmf:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
and I don't agree with the results this week either!

I think there are 3 people in the finals that don't belong there.

Darius & Jay-Jay were by far the best dancers along with Hannahlei.

My favorite was Darius and he looked spectacular with the makeup on!!

I've found this season quite boring. Nothing special. Nice to see the all-stars back, they brought a much-needed spark.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Best people according to my potato opinion went home - but since this is US favourite dancer contest (and judges' fave), not the best dancer, it was expected.

I honestly feel quite fed up with this whole Jensen's presence showing down my throat constantly - the promoting of her persona (not even dancing) is getting annoying. Funny how I could not tear my eyes of Kiki who showed what it takes to be a star in Latin Ballroom through dancing, not flipping your hair or making faces: his sharp, sleek technique, fantastic partnering, attentive, but not overwhelming presence really stood out and highlighted Jensen's weak sides, she looked somehow slow and sluggish at places for me...Darius and Jay-Jay were great dancers and great performers - just not 'media-loud' enough, it is getting harder and harder to win audience over through sole dance abilities...

Agreed that the show became bored...There are no longer for me these kind of 'big personalities' with extraordinary dancing skills, stars that were shining so brightly during the show, I am coming back to old seasons (especially 3rd, 4th, 5th) to revive this energy that felt natural and exciting. Now it really looks too staged and forced.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Have to agree with several previous comments. I thought it was going to be one male, one female to be going home last night and so thought it would be Darius and Genessy. But Jay Jay? Come on! Jensen has long blonde hair and a family pedigree and we knew from day one that she would go the distance but I find her uninteresting most of the time. I hated her Polynesian dance. She will win it even though Hannahlei is infinitely better. Wanted Darius and Jay Jay to be the last 2 guys. Ah well, I will now have to torture myself with WOD and those savage cuts this Wed.!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jensen has long blonde hair and a family pedigree and we knew from day one that she would go the distance but I find her uninteresting most of the time. I hated her Polynesian dance. She will win it even though Hannahlei is infinitely better. Wanted Darius and Jay Jay to be the last 2 guys. Ah well, I will now have to torture myself with WOD and those savage cuts this Wed.!

Jensen's Polynesian dance was terrible!!! When I was in Hawaii quite a few years ago, I loved watching the Polynesian dancers. I am surprised that the choreographer let Jensen get by with that dance and the judges saying it was wonderful. The dance stays in time with the drums. Hannahlei is so above Jensen & Genessy technique.

If Slavik wins, that will tell me there was some interfering with the votes??!!!

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I fully expect Jensen to win. I love her sister Lindsey both when she was on SYTYCD and on DWTS but I don't have the same love for Jensen. I don't dislike her but I don't think her dancing is spectacular. Very disappointed like everyone else that both Jay Jay and Darius went home. I used all my votes last night for Hannahlei. The biggest problem is how short the whole season is - like Nigel said, I wish they could get a top 20 again. Sadly though I think those days are gone and we are just lucky if the show doesn't get axed.

LucyH

On the Ice
I fully expect Jensen to win. I love her sister Lindsey both when she was on SYTYCD and on DWTS but I don't have the same love for Jensen. I don't dislike her but I don't think her dancing is spectacular. Very disappointed like everyone else that both Jay Jay and Darius went home. I used all my votes last night for Hannahlei. The biggest problem is how short the whole season is - like Nigel said, I wish they could get a top 20 again. Sadly though I think those days are gone and we are just lucky if the show doesn't get axed.

Rooting for Hannahlei. My final four would have been her, Darius, Gennesy and Jay Jay. I do not share the judges’ love for Jensen

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Thank you for this! I don't know Polynesian dance at all but even I could see it was off. Hannahlei all the way now!

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
As the judges were slobbering praise on the cha cha I was wondering what they had watched. It was the best I've seen Kiki dance and Jensen was totally inferior. She was so busy playing to the audience and not connecting with her partner that she missed a couple of things. Even at 18, Lindsay danced with so much fluidity and maturity. At 20, Jensen dances like a 14 year old. It will be very sad if she wins.

We've all come to understand that America's favorite dancer isn't necessarily the best dancer, but there has been something special about each winner. Among those who defeated "better" dancers, Benji had an exuberant personality that couldn't be missed. Sabra had a passion for dancing that resonated. Russell was so versatile and unique. I was disappointed with earlier eliminations, but not with the winner. In this season, it's a total turn off.

heyang

Record Breaker
My top 4 for dancing is Hannaleigh, Jay-Jay, Darius and Gennessy. Slavik's being the top 4 was a shock IMHO, especially over Jay-Jay who hadn't been in the bottom before.

As for Jensen, I could see why she would beat Gennessy into the top 4. During confessionals, Gennessy often expressed a lack of confidence. Jensen's expressed confidence and exuberance. So, I could understand why the audience would like her. She probably also gets a fan boost from Lindsay's fans.... and I agree that Lindsay is the better dancer of the sisters.

While I agree that Travis is a better overall dancer than Benji from Season 2, Travis didn't capture the personality factor. Both have been greatly successful since their season.

Many people questioned Twitch being in the final 4 of season 4. He definitely was not the best overall dancer, but he had a likeability factor. I am happy that Joshua won that year. However, thanks to SYTYCD, Twitch has gained a lot of fans, especially Ellen DeGeneres and found the love of his life Allyson Holker from season 2.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think that earlier seasons of the show focused equally on dancing ability and personality factor, not prevailing one over another, which is the case now. There is a heavy emphasis for me to 'stand out', to be personally 'attentive' and 'accessible', to 'have a story' (or a sibling who was on the show previously lol) - I did not see it as much previously; I felt like in the top 10, 6 or 4 were always people with solid dancing AND personality taken out of them directly from way of living or from the dance itself (at least in my fav seasons 2,3,4 and 5).

Regarding Jensen, it is very difficult for me to get her a pass on her dancing, because there were better dancers on the show (namely Magda, looking at the same genre) and she does not even excel in her dominant technique to rule the field. She sure has presence and is a 'darling' of judges, but I'd rather see more of her dancing to shine than her hair and face. Lindsay actually captured my attention through her dancing, the way she moved: with strength and power, but also with control and precision.

Overall, I find this time top 4 underwhelming and lacklustre. It is a far cry from mentioned season 2 where we had Benji, Travis, Heidi and Donyelle - their opening number in the finale to 'Sexy Back' (choreographed by Wayde Robson) is still one of my all-time favourites mainly because it showed so much diversity in them, but at the same time showed that they are equally skilled and personality-wise 'visible'. God bless YT and old videos :laugh:

heyang

Record Breaker
One thing I still want is or the camera to stay on the routine instead of showing audience or judges reactions. Prevents the TV audience from viewing the entire routine.

I think this routine was probably the most stunning of this season. https://www.fox.com/watch/80e98e0cf365a0fdce6d636b457ce3df/

There have been other finalists that people questioned - Cyrus and Evan come to mind as not being the best dancers to make it to final 4.

I do like that they went back to the contestants having a consistent partner for the 1st few weeks and adding the All-Stars later. The past couple of seasons were somewhat taken over by the All-Stars, and I think the presence of the all-star skewed the voting, too.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
What was so interesting and honest is that the judges didn't lavish praise on Cyrus. They criticized him a lot, but people voted for him because they felt a connection. I would say that's the opposite of this season.

There was a certain magic to seasons two, three, four and five, but there have been some great finales since then. Who can forget Jasmine Harper and Comfort's routine in season 10.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this routine was probably the most stunning of this season. https://www.fox.com/watch/80e98e0cf365a0fdce6d636b457ce3df/

Heyang, that's my favorite routine too.

Hannaleigh has the best technique of all. When she danced with Jensen, it just showed that her technique is 100% better. I don't know what it is about Jensen and her legs but she bends her legs quite a bit. Also when she does the lifts, it seems like she can barely do them meaning like a dancer can. I was surprised when the judges praised Jensen for being the stronger dancer when she & Slavik did the cha cha.

Genessy certainly stepped up tonight. Loved the routine with Hannaleigh & Genessy, they looked like sisters.