Team Event: Time to Change the Rules? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Team Event: Time to Change the Rules?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I really like this idea of having an Olympic Team!:thumbsup:

I like the thought but isn't this just an all-star team and isn't fair to those countries who are weak in 1 or more disciplines? I mean it might be fine because some disciplines already have the top ten composed of skaters already from typical Team event nations... with exceptions like Javier from Spain and Elizabet from Kazakhstan.

bekalc

Record Breaker
It's hard to be strategic when you don't have world class skaters for all four events. That leaves three countries. Russia did the most with what they had; both women deserved to compete and splitting pairs is ideal so they can be fresh for the individual event. The US had no option for pairs and needed to split men to rest Nathan. Splitting dance wouldn't have helped because Mirai placed as well as Bradie could have. I do think it's dumb to have an Olympic event when there is virtually no chance for a team outside the top 3 contenders to medal.

Since 1988 only Russia/USSR, Germany, China, and Canada have made Olympic podium in pairs. Should we drop pairs cuz four countries dominate it?

And I don't want to think about last time anyone has been world champion or Olympic champion outside big four.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think that synchro would possibly be too expensive for the games

Good point. Lots more people to feed and provide accomodation for.

And the same would apply to my suggestion of Ice Theatre.

Right. Fours Skating it is! No extra people, as they will already be there for the Pairs competition.

CaroLiza_fan

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
China qualified their lady outright at worlds last year. The only additional athelets were from Israel and sorta South Korea as their pairs team got a host spot as well.

My bad, thank you for the correction.
I think our commentary team jumped from the Chinese to another team quickly while I was doing something else and my brain made something else up entirely.

Your prestige factor point would end up in national champions having "minor injuries" that wouldn't allow them to participate. :)

Ohh, so more Rosa Gallieva situations...gotcha šŸ˜‰

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
I'm not a fan of Synchro, but even I agree with this.

Personally, I would love to see Ice Theatre given a chance as well. I saw it when watching a livestream of French Nationals a few years ago, and I really enjoyed it. I found it much more interesting to watch than Syncho.

And what about Fours Skating? I only came across it when I was looking up a particular former Pairs skater, and she and her partner had been pretty successful in Fours competitions with another Pairs partnership. (It is basically 2 Pairs partnerships doing the same routine side by side).

I had never heard tell of either of these types of skating before. But, if they and Synchro were introduced to a big event like the Olympics, it would raise their profile massively.

Introducing different categories would also create a bit more variety. Which is what the IOC seems to want to do, what with the way they are introducing all these Freestyle disciplines to the Skiing and Snowboarding rosters.

So I don't really understand why, when they were looking for a replacement for the Compulsory Dance, they brought in something that meant that the same 4 categories were contested twice.

CaroLiza_fan

And what do you thing about Solo Ice Dancing?

I have wached some videos from Solo Dance Competition Series and liked it... And seems that it's a good opportunity for female ice dancers because sometimes it's difficult to fond a partner

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And what do you thing about Solo Ice Dancing?

I have wached some videos from Solo Dance Competition Series and liked it... And seems that it's a good opportunity for female ice dancers because sometimes it's difficult to fond a partner

Ah, I had forgotten about Solo Dance.

When I was watching "Ice Stars", there were a lot of Dance girls without partners. And we were told that they were all competing in Solo Dance so as to stay competitive. But, I never actually saw any competitions (probably because I got behind after the first series :eek:: ).

Solo Dance would actually be a really good option, because it would showcase the talents of the girls. And, who knows, it might help them to get a partner.

Right, scrap all those other suggestions. This is definitely the way to go.

Thank you for suggesting it, Hevari. :bow: :clap: :points:

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan