The Best Figure Skating Commentators (Singles Discipline) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Best Figure Skating Commentators (Singles Discipline)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As for me, ever since I have always been a huge huge fan of Sports Analyst Tracy Wilson of CBC. She is the most articulate commentator out there, her comments are very educational very knowledgeable and perfect timing. I love her voice so much its very pleasing. And TBH, I have never heard of her being unbiased, she gives superlatives to each worthy skater canadian or not in an equal and just manner. She started with ESPN if I;m not mistaken then went on to CBC. But sad though she was'nt on the Sochi. Where is she now? Is she still with CBC?

... ...Edited to add: Tracey Wilson works for both CBC and NBC. She tends to provide the ice dance commentary for NBC during Nationals, etc.

Tracy Wilson was involved also in most of NBC's GP coverage this season.
For example, for two or three of the GPs, Wilson was NBC's only presence on location at the event -- with the ladies and men's disciplines (as NBC's emphases) as her purview.

Last edited:

iceberg

On the Ice
For example, for two or three of the GPs, Wilson was NBC's only presence on location at the event -- with the ladies and men's disciplines (as NBC's emphases) as her purview.

That's what I thought so too. Since she is a consultant and a Sports Analyst she even writes columns for NBC like you said. So yeah I guess she can work with whichever network she wants.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
Well, I got Universal Sports for free this week so I decided to watch the GPF short programs tonight. After enduring the broadcast I realized that I prefer Johnny and Tara, Scott and Sandra, Dick and Peggy, the silence of icenetwork, and even the snarky comments of my non-figure skating fan husband to the bumbling commentary of Peter Carruthers and partner.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty

I wasn't aware of much of her GP work since I watch Eurosport as much as possible now that Tara and Weir are at the helm over at NBC

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Joanne was... not good. Hypercritical, often off-base (Gracie Gold will lay down a clean LP? All of Sergei Voronov's programs look the same?)... Mark Hanretty actually... wasn't too bad. His tastes are very different from mine, but he makes interesting observations (change of edge in spins), and he recognizes the strength and validity of even the styles he doesn't like.

Browning/Lane were good at the Olympics, but I found them too critical and repetitive on the GP circuit this year.

I especially remember Joanne's commentary from Kanako's SP at NHK, something about how she would never sing to the music and such, really nitpicky. I was quite okay with Mark Hanretty, the "good boy!" and the "good girl!" got annoying but I found some of his reactions really genuine and nice, like his reaction to Polina's Biellmann

and I haven't really listened to Browning/Lane after the Olympics, no commentary is the best for me but it's not always an option depending on what stream is working for me haha

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
lol Imma go with the two female Korean fs commentators :laugh:

it's probably because
1. I don't understand Korean (lol yeah :laugh2:)
2. they have such calming voices (there is another commentator but he doesn't really do the GPs and Worlds and he's the mildly annoying one)
3. they don't talk much during the programs but they do tell what the skater is doing next

A flaw for them is that they sound like they don't really know much about figure skating (ex. talking about indepth stuff like skating skills and etc.)...But then again that can correlate to why they don't talk much during the programs.

Of course, I do like the British commentators but nowadays, I find myself listening these commentators more (if I can) or simply watch fs stuff that has no commentaries

example: 2014 Worlds - Ladies LP: Final Group + So Youn

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like the guy who did the JGP for their live feed this year. :biggrin:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I grew up with Uncle Dick and Peggy, so I have fond memories of their Good Cop/Bad Cop routines. I don't find the Eurosport gentlemen particularly insightful or incisive, but they're always fun to listen to. Mark Hanretty I thought was quite good on dance. I found all the Canadian contingent during Sochi surprisingly biased--Tracy Wilson and Kurt Browning in particular (Carol Lane was the best of the bunch I thought). Johnny Weir is surprisingly good, but Tara is nails-on-a-chalkboard bad (and they are both beyond useless when it comes to Ice Dancing). I'm hoping eventually NBC will replace her...with Ashley Wagner, who I think would be a very juicy presence. And Terry Gannon is always a pleasure.

But the best overall commentator today I think is Robin Cousins. He is insightful and, most important, he knows when to shut up and just let us watch the show.

YMMV of course.

Alba

Record Breaker
I found all the Canadian contingent during Sochi surprisingly biased--Tracy Wilson and Kurt Browning in particular (Carol Lane was the best of the bunch I thought).

I liked Carol Lane too there. I didn't know that Wilson was with them in Sochi though. You mean Brenda maybe?
I don't remember her last name.

Johnny Weir is surprisingly good, but Tara is nails-on-a-chalkboard bad (and they are both beyond useless when it comes to Ice Dancing).

True. :biggrin:

And Terry Gannon is always a pleasure.

I like him too. :yes:

But the best overall commentator today I think is Robin Cousins. He is insightful and, most important, he knows when to shut up and just let us watch the show.

I only watch 2 or 3 videos from Sochi with his comments, so I can't judge him really.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oops, you're right about Tracy and Sochi. Of course I was watching feeds, so I didn't watch all of CTV's skating coverage at Sochi. But I do think she was much better years ago. Now, she's so partisan it's harder to take her seriously.

I actually also liked the commentators during the infamous "Only covered by Latvian TV" Worlds a few years ago. I had NO idea what they were saying, but they were speaking with such passion it was quite fun to listen to. :)

ETA: What would really be a useful and probably very interesting experiment would be to take one program and transcribe the various commentaries from different countries and compare them. I'd be happy to do it for English-speaking commentary. Of course since this is an English-language board, we would probably miss nuances as the commentary is translated from the original language to English, but then again I think it would be a useful and interesting experiment. I'm game if anyone else is. :)

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
But I do think she was much better years ago. Now, she's so partisan it's harder to take her seriously.

Spot on about that. :laugh:

ETA: What would really be a useful and probably very interesting experiment would be to take one program and transcribe the various commentaries from different countries and compare them. I'd be happy to do it for English-speaking commentary. Of course since this is an English-language board, we would probably miss nuances as the commentary is translated from the original language to English, but then again I think it would be a useful and interesting experiment. I'm game if anyone else is. :)

I would love that. :agree: I'm in too, for the italian. Not easy to find many videos for that though.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Oops, you're right about Tracy and Sochi. Of course I was watching feeds, so I didn't watch all of CTV's skating coverage at Sochi. But I do think she was much better years ago. Now, she's so partisan it's harder to take her seriously.

I actually also liked the commentators during the infamous "Only covered by Latvian TV" Worlds a few years ago. I had NO idea what they were saying, but they were speaking with such passion it was quite fun to listen to. :)

I think you can find some translations on the fan threads for Hanyu, Daisuke and other popular top skaters. I did one for Jason Brown recently from Japanese to English. It is indeed interesting.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Taiwanese commentators for 4CC a few years ago. They were very supportive and very positive about skaters. Chinese commentators rarely talked during the programs. I like it that way.

I like Robin Cousins too. He sounds a bit cold but at least he is like that to everyone. And his comments are short and spot-on.

Japanese commentators talk too much IMO.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Perhaps Worlds might be the best time to do something like I'm proposing, since most countries with skaters in it to win it will probably show the programs. Probably The US, Canada, Russia, Japan, China, England, France, Ukraine, Italy. If you're seriously interested, feel free to send me a message and we'll see if we can get this off the ground. Like I said, I would be be very interested to see the results, because I think the biggest problem in skating isn't the judging per se, it's national bias. And I will bet cold hard currency it will show up all over the commentary.

Plus, it should provide something juicy to talk about in the off season besides, you know, things like, Who Has The Most Athletic/Artistic Boot Laces? ;)

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Japanese commentators talk too much IMO.

:scowl: I know what you mean
It's hard watching Japanese fs videos (esp. from Nationals) due to their usual commentators. I'm like, please calm down PLEAAASE. Their enthusiasm is great but they get waaay too carried away.

Of course, Nobu is an exception. He sounds nice and a bit more helpful than the others.

Alba

Record Breaker
Perhaps Worlds might be the best time to do something like I'm proposing, since most countries with skaters in it to win it will probably show the programs. Probably The US, Canada, Russia, Japan, China, England, France, Ukraine, Italy. If you're seriously interested, feel free to send me a message and we'll see if we can get this off the ground. Like I said, I would be be very interested to see the results, because I think the biggest problem in skating isn't the judging per se, it's national bias. And I will bet cold hard currency it will show up all over the commentary.

Plus, it should provide something juicy to talk about in the off season besides, you know, things like, Who Has The Most Athletic/Artistic Boot Laces? ;)

I'll try to register the event with the italians. I'm having problems now with my recorder otherwise I would've done it.
Hopefully by that time everything is resolved. :)
You wouldn't find national bias with Europsort guys, but I can tell you since now RAI for sure.
They are ridiculous. :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
:scowl: I know what you mean
It's hard watching Japanese fs videos (esp. from Nationals) due to their usual commentators. I'm like, please calm down PLEAAASE. Their enthusiasm is great but they get waaay too carried away.
Of course, Nobu is an exception. He sounds nice and a bit more helpful than the others.
totally agree. I mean Japanese commentators sometimes make me want to cry because I couldn't hear the music. :hopelessness: it's like watching sport anime in which skaters took 20 minutes to land a jump thanks to the comments on TV.