The best/worst vocal skating programs: 2014-2015 | Golden Skate

The best/worst vocal skating programs: 2014-2015

supsu

On the Ice
So, this season we've had vocal music in both single and pairs programs for the first time. :cheer: Many disagree with the rule change and many are willing to give it a chance. This thread is not to argue wether vocal music in general is good or bad for the sport. :hopelessness: Also, I'm sure it will take some years before skaters and their teams figure out what is the best way to approach vocal music in competition.

I wish u guys would let us know what are ur favorites or what are absolute horrendous programs with vocals thus far. Let's keep it more about the cuts and overall song choices and so on, not so much about how the skater performs. Also, please, give us ur explanation on ur choices. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Best: Sui/Han's SP--It's fun, it shows personality for both of them, and the choreography is intricate but well-timed to the music; it never looks too busy.

Worst: Oh gosh, I dunno... It's probably one of the ladies' programs from the one GP with all the lyrics... But what really stuck out to me was Jeremy Abbott's SP. The music--once its recorded through the arena--is borderline unlistenable. Sounds like some annoying person is whispering in my ear while he's skating. And the choreography comes across as too self-consciously "I am an artiste!!"

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Best for me: Javier's Black Betty, Sarabande Suite (Adian Pitkeev & Tarasova/Morozov)

Worst: Stephen Carriere's FS - the emo song from Twilight, just...yuck! Ashley Wagner's Moulin Rouge. And any POTO program with vocals, especially Music of The Night...I can't think of a song I like less. Oh, wait, I forgot Elena R.'s SP - I detest J.Lo (although to be fair, the non-vocal parts of the music sound no better to my ears)

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Best: Takahiko Kozuka's FS, Denis Ten's SP, Satoko Miyahara's FS

Worst: POTO and all of its versions

Meoima

Match Penalty
Actually I think nothing is really bad if the skaters deliver. :hijacked:
Vocal or not. It's just with vocals it's more difficult. And because it's difficult, and the skaters don't deliver or simply that the musics are not suitable, we think of those programs are bad.

My dislike vocals this year: too many. But if I have to remember the most, then Tatsuki's LP. :scowl:

Last edited:

jimeonji

Final Flight
Best: Kozuka FS, D Ten SP, S/H SP, J Ten LP
Worst: anything POTO, especially Murakami's mess of a LP

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Wagner's Moulin Rouge. And any POTO program with vocals, especially Music of The Night...I can't think of a song I like less. Oh, wait, I forgot Elena R.'s SP - I detest J.Lo (although to be fair, the non-vocal parts of the music sound no better to my ears)

Call me crazy, but I actually like Ashley's Moulin Rouge, which surprises even me b/c I do not like Nicole Kidman. It just suits her dramatic diva persona.

Agreed with the J.Lo on Elena's program - it's too cheesy. I never thought when they allowed vocals that we would be hearing Madonna (Ashley Cain), Nicole Kidman and J. Lo.

I also do not like Max Aaron's "Footloose." Should be a EX number.

I do like Ricky Dornbush's use of Coldplay and Mirai's "Madam Butterfly" - probably b/c the vocals punctuate the music and performance, but aren't the centerpiece.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
My favorites: Javi's "Black Betty", Ricky Dornbush's Coldplay, and Abbott's "Lay Me Down." I have to say the latter grew on me and it's quite exquisite with some of the hardest footwork/edgework you will find in a program right now. I also like the use of the music and narration used in Max Aarons "Gladiator" LP.

Ones I'm not fond of: Wagners Moulin Rouge: Now in saying that it's not that I don't like the concept. I love the concept because it brings out her fight and her diva qualities on the ice, what I do not like is the way they edited the music, it just goes NO WHERE and doesn't properly tell the story. The choreography is also unable to flow and I think that's much of the problem with that program. Others I don't like: Anything POTO, especially Gracies. I'm not fond of Denis Ten or Max Aaron's SP's. There are many more but I can't list them all right now.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I like Ashley's LP. It should be in the audio dictionary next to "chaotic," but the way she performs it is just so passionate and heartfelt that I brought it anyway.

There are a couple of decent programs with vocals, but the worst worst worst program for me is Pogorilaya's SP. I'm rewatching it right now as I type to reaffirm my choice, and yes, it is absolutely the worst.

Listen and cringe with me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXw396auiCc
Oh right... how did I forget this?! I love big ballads, but the singer/arrangements/acoustics for Adagio all came out wrong.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Oh no, you don't! I find it quite...entertaining. Lol

I agree, though I do understand why people would hate it. I happen to like bizarro programs (usually). But the vocals seem like they would be the least objectionable part, unless you hate James Brown, I guess. It only gets worse after that.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ I'd put Javi's "Black Betty" in the best category, too.

I also like Coldplay in Ricky's program, also the use of narration in Max's Gladiator

While I like the music of POTO, I am so tired of hearing it this season (particularly with vocals). It's almost as bad as hearing "My Heart Will Go On," back in the day (funny - I do like the instrumental music of Titanic - must be because I like Celtic music in general).

Last edited:

treeloving

Medalist
The best is Satoko LP for sure, sacred bird is very well and use smartly to change the mood of program. It also add more depth to the program.