The Death of Figure Skating as Art | Golden Skate

The Death of Figure Skating as Art

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Given that we have now reached one of the lowest points ever for skating-as-art, I thought it would be interesting to question what IS art to you in figure skating? A recent a video about "Why is Modern Art so Bad?" (it includes a figure skating reference) sparked my drive for talking about this subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNI07egoefc

"If we are to be intellectually honest, we all know of situations where professional expertise is acknowledged and depended upon. Take figure skating in the Olympics, where artistic excellence is judged by experts in the field. Surely we would flinch at the contestant who indiscriminately threw himself across the ice and demanded that his routine be accepted as being as worthy of value as that of the most disciplined skater. Not only has the quality of art diminished, but the subject matter has gone from the transcendent to the trashy."

I believe Art in figure skating first begins with creating movement that has purpose. Dance (skating) serves to convey emotions and ideas that the human self is not able to tangibly express is any other way. If you tell somebody "I am sad" or "I am happy", they will have some kind of broad understanding about your present state but they themselves will not feel what you are feeling. Through art we open gateways that allow people to understand each other and our existences more fully, or to heighten our day-to-day existences into something greater. Dance movement is like a foreign language that is partially understandable by everyone. When we see people move their bodies in a specific way, something is conveyed to us. As the language of skating movement is studied more and more, we begin to understand a greater complexity and range of meanings.

The next consideration is of course the music. Every piece, every section of music in existence has a dance (skating) movement that "works" with the music. It's not any one particular movement but rather a tapestry of different possibilities out there that can be used with the music. Utilizing this specific language of movement is both intrinsic and learned. Everything has an unknown "recipe"; interpretation of music is about creating a "recipe" of movement which serves to illuminate and enrich the music. The quest is to discover the best possible transference of sound into image, to discover the hidden combination of choreography that magically unlocks the music like a rosetta stone. There is also the possibility of skating inverse to the music, which would be something like a comedic performance to Swan Lake.

The final element of Art in figure skating is the pure expression of the skater themselves. Their energy, their timing, their look, and the way they interact with the audience. We are each a unique instrument and there are different nuances and levels of understanding and conviction every individual brings to a performance. This will almost always vary at least a tiny bit between performances for each individual skater as well.

----

So, why is skating in such a bad place right now? It's because the above qualities are largely missing from performances. They are missing because they are not rewarded and not understood well enough by the institution of competitive figure skating to being with. Doing a combination of a bunch of difficult rockers and counters and loops on the ice often has little/nothing to do with creating an idea or conveying music. Never doing more than two crossovers in a row may be technically difficult but it has little to do with trying to discover the secrets of the music and how to best present it. Since skaters are so busy doing all of those movements, in addition to being forced to do too many jumps and too many unnecessary spin positions, it's hard to find enough time to express oneself. Taking "breaks" on the ice to actually emote is virtually a crime anymore, even if it is brilliant. Performance, Choreography, and Interpretation are supposed to still be rewarded, but they actually aren't.

Since the art is no longer being rewarded, competitors focus mainly on the technical. Since they focus mainly on the technical, people care less and less about the sport. All activities in life are engaged in because they are entertaining or impressive or educational or stimulating. Skating performances currently do not often invoke much imagination or emotional involvement or make people feel like they are being transported. What is left now is mainly a surface-level enjoyment of watching people do difficult moves and that novelty for the sake of itself wears off quickly.

Choreographing a skating program used to be a journey. Sarah Kawahara described her process exactly as that - it is something which must be continually worked on and discovered. Choreography has now become more like a list, with a brief choreographic passage at the start of the program before a very predictable sequence of moves will occur.

As is advocated in the video above for "Why is Modern Art so Bad?", we must work to improve artistic standards. The sport needs it. When I have more time I will post analysis of specific skating performances in the current era, how they fail, and how they could be improved (even within the constraints of the current scoring system). I invite everyone to talk about what they want to see more of in skating.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Have you ever heard of the saying, "The car goes where the eyes go"?

Has it never occurred to you, that the more skating fans talk down their sport, the worse it will get?

Skating is also a sport, whether you like it or not. And whether you accept it or not, every skater has their own brand of artistry and shows it in a different way. Max's Tron was artistic. A lot of people refuse to accept that, but it was. He took a movie character and brought it to life with more energy on the ice than the rest of that group showed. Jason's Prince was artistic. For that nearly three minutes he made you forget his sweet little boy image and made you wonder, just wonder...Joshua's Schindler's List was artistic. He took the soul of the music and shot your own heart with the emotions that he drew from it. Jeremy's Spy was artistic. For that nearly three minutes, he was a James Bond style cool guy fighting the bad guys and saving the day.

What do I want to see more of in skating? Skaters' differences being accepted. A skater not being scorned because his brand of artistry does not fit the "traditional" definition. A recognition that energy and jumps are in themselves a type of artistry, a method of personal expression.

And most of all, I'd like to see a little less "Chicken Little" from people who purport to have the sport's best interests at heart.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
What an interesting video. And this will no doubt be an interesting thread.

As some one who makes a living off of illustration, I personally detest most Modern Art and I really can't understand it. However, for every Modern Artist out there there are probably 10 artists whose work is classical, beautiful, and easy on the eyes.
Modern Art just gets the most publicity because it is shocking.

A also notice that the professor wants standards to be raised and more judgement on art, but fails to say how or who is going to do this. It would be very difficult. I don't give Modern Art any of my time these days, and if enough people feel the same way, I hope they will vote with their feet. Or their wallets.

So, How would one go about 'raising the standard' of art in figure-skating? It seems to me that it would be just as difficult as changing the judging system AGAIN...without any hope that it will get better by the change.

I suggest a second medal...(I've given this exactly 10 minutes of thought so it may not be very good) in gymnastics there is a special prize called the Longenes Prize for Elegance that they give out to whoever did their routines with the most elegance.
If figure skating had a prize for Artistry, then the best artist of the year could be rewarded, and not just the most technical.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have never thought of FS as an art. But of course, presentation is a must.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
oooh and another thing, though you say art is not subjective...it kind of is...
The difference between Takahashi and Lambiel for instance? Patrick Chan and Yuzuru?
The video chooses the biggest extremes in art to make its point, (a point very well made) but fails to list all the many kinds of art that fall between Classical and Modern.

As an illustrator it is my job to find or create graphics that fit a purpose. If I like it, it's a bonus, but sometimes the purpose for a design is not to please me aesthetically, but to get a job done.

This way of thinking bleeds into my watching of figure skating.
Some skaters will never be as 'artistic' as others, so I hope for their sake that they can find ways of making skating work for them anyway via their technical merit. --And thereby get the job done.

Alain

Match Penalty
So, why is skating in such a bad place right now? It's because the above qualities are largely missing from performances. They are missing because they are not rewarded and not understood well enough by the institution of competitive figure skating to being with. Doing a combination of a bunch of difficult rockers and counters and loops on the ice often has little/nothing to do with creating an idea or conveying music. Never doing more than two crossovers in a row may be technically difficult but it has little to do with trying to discover the secrets of the music and how to best present it. Since skaters are so busy doing all of those movements, in addition to being forced to do too many jumps and too many unnecessary spin positions, it's hard to find enough time to express oneself. Taking "breaks" on the ice to actually emote is virtually a crime anymore, even if it is brilliant. Performance, Choreography, and Interpretation are supposed to still be rewarded, but they actually aren't.
There wouldn't be a thread like this if Patrick or Daisuke had won in Sochi (with no falls of course). They have it all.

The video is lovely but the professor seems forgetting that what art did in the past nowdays technologies do. Like photography. It didn't exist centuries ago. The portraits had to look relatively realistic. Now art can do whatever it wants.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
When exactly do you claim this so-called "death" take place? Because there were plenty of pre-COP skaters who were known as great jumpers but lacked artistry - even by the most liberal definition of the word.

I won't waste my time on the video, because modern art is not inherently bad and I am not going to be convinced otherwise. And I don't think all modern skating lacks artistry. Both of them are quite lazy generalizations.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Art only dies when you define it and at the very least project expectations from it onto others. It's not meant to be something we come to expect...it's something that challenges and changes us. It's alive when it offends. IMO.

I hope if I ever find figure skating or anything for that matter uninspiring I simply walk away. YMMV.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
There is no set standards regarding artistry, but I come up with this alternative standard: Is the skater a good dancer if not on ice? or imagine he/she is not wearing skates when skating. And that should be judged by a dance judge.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Some people seem to forget that FS is the sport and art (if you call it) of the moment. Your PCS is exactly what it is of the exact moment you perform, not your reputation as a great artist or something like that. I don't see that figure skating as sport-art must be what it is according to some people who considered themselves as knowledgeable. It's not a definite standard.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was unable to view the video so not really sure what this is all about. I am guessing the video has something to do with modern art? I also did not read the rather lengthy tirade about the so called "Death of Figure Skating as Art" First of all Figure Skating has always been about precision on the blade, whether it's tracing figures on the ice, doing graceful moves in the field or intricate footwork in patterns and of course difficult jumps and spins - thus the technical side of figure skating does come into play. At the same time Figure Skating is about artistic expression through music. There will always be skaters who are more technical and skaters who are more artistic in their approach to figure skating. Every so often a gifted skater like Kurt Browning comes along and we get the picture of what Figure Skating is truly all about.

Alba

Record Breaker
Art only dies when you define it and at the very least project expectations from it onto others. It's not meant to be something we come to expect...it's something that challenges and changes us. It's alive when it offends. IMO.

I hope if I ever find figure skating or anything for that matter uninspiring I simply walk away. YMMV.

This. Thousand times. :thumbsup:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Both before and now the vast majority of skaters including participants of the Worlds and Olympics simply cannot skate good enough. And I am certain that one cannot write a masterpiece not knowing basic grammar. Hence, generalizations are pointless - it makes sense to discuss only the group of the top skaters at any given time. And my view is that one could argue whether the previous (or the one before the previous) generation of top skaters was artistically stronger. But if you go back, say, 40 years ago you just cannot compare - the technical level of skating was very different from now. I myself was able to do a "very artistic" single jump. But I was never able to do a triple let alone a quad.

I already suggested (and received my share of critics) to bring to the main events the best of the best without regard to their nation. Some people jump well but are not terrific performers - others are not great with jumps but are strong artistically. If all the best skaters have the right to compete it would push the frontier not only technically but also artistically.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
oooh and another thing, though you say art is not subjective...it kind of is...

I never said that. Also, that video is not my viewpoint specifically. I just found it interesting for starting discussion, in part because it included a figure skating reference that was hilarious (especially the part about how "throwing oneself on the ice" should probably be viewed as a failure).

There wouldn't be a thread like this if Patrick or Daisuke had won in Sochi (with no falls of course). They have it all.

The video is lovely but the professor seems forgetting that what art did in the past nowdays technologies do. Like photography. It didn't exist centuries ago. The portraits had to look relatively realistic. Now art can do whatever it wants.

For me it would be the same thing if Patrick had won. His program was formulaic and unimaginative. Daisuke's program was not that good either although he did give more service to the music. None of the Long Programs we saw at the Olympics (even had they been skated cleanly) are what we should want to see as a standard in figure skating. They were inferior works with too much meaningless movements and lack of cohesion. Jason Brown's program was the best IMO but that program still had areas where it could have sung more and was clearly hindered by unnecessary convolution.

Definitely a good point about how technology has influenced art, although the counterpoint is that technology has made us lazy about creating art. We want to consume more and more, not only because everything is so much more accessible now, but also because works of art are not as soul-filling anymore. Everything is becoming more disposable.

When exactly do you claim this so-called "death" take place? Because there were plenty of pre-COP skaters who were known as great jumpers but lacked artistry - even by the most liberal definition of the word.

Well it's hard to decide one exact time. There has been a rather continual decline. I would point to the 2007-2008 season, though. That's when pretty much everyone started to make their programs more artificial in the chase for technical points.

You're correct about pre-COP and I don't expect absolutely everyone who participates in the sport to be incredibly artistic. The problem is that the technical has completely overwhelmed the artistic. Skaters who "weren't that artistic" in the past at least looked like the were having fun on the ice (if they were skating well) and their programs weren't completely predictable. Plus the skaters who WERE artistic pushed them to get better in that regard.

The sport needs to become better then it has ever been before, including the judging. 6.0 era needed a little more structure and more universal understanding, but the sport in the past 4-7 years has been more and more like a nightmarish beaurocracy straight out of the movie 'Brazil' (speaking of art, everyone needs to see this if you haven't!!!).

Have you ever heard of the saying, "The car goes where the eyes go"? Has it never occurred to you, that the more skating fans talk down their sport, the worse it will get?

Nonsense. This is the "just ignore it and it will get better mentality". That doesn't work. It never has throughout history.

Talking about how to improve something and why it needs to be improved doesn't make something worse. It only scares the people who are "in power" because they are scared of losing something (usually money, even if they already are losing it because of their poor management).

I hope if I ever find figure skating or anything for that matter uninspiring I simply walk away.

That's exactly what audiences have done.

Alba

Record Breaker
That's exactly what audiences have done.

That's not everywhere. Also, keep in mind that many people simple cannot afford to go and watch live all the events, everywhere, anymore.
I know a lot of people who cannot do that, although they would love too, and that includes myself as well.

I took the ticket for TEB and not for all the events. I had to leave Dance and men for example.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
For me it would be the same thing if Patrick had won. His program was formulaic and unimaginative. Daisuke's program was not that good either although he did give more service to the music. None of the Long Programs we saw at the Olympics (even had they been skated cleanly) are what we should want to see as a standard in figure skating. They were inferior works with too much meaningless movements and lack of cohesion. Jason Brown's program was the best IMO but that program still had areas where it could have sung more and was clearly hindered by unnecessary convolution.

Here we've steered right back into subjectivity. I happen to think that Daisuke's program was beautiful from start to finish and if he had landed his jumps cleanly he should have a medal.
Many others feel this way Patrick's LP this year.
You choose to label Patrick's program unimaginative formulaic when many others may disagree completely. Yet your argument on the decline of Art in figure skating is based in part on this. Whose opinion has more weight?
I'm interested to hear your ideas on how to promote 'art' in figure skating in an applicable way though. Please elaborate.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
FS is a Sport. Art is sbujective thing. And it should be that there is more sport than art in terms of judging , because how you want to judge art fairly ? You can search art in ice dancing and maybe pairs, or woman, but I am a little laughing when people are bashing men field , oh he is not artistic, he is only jumper without passion ! ble ble. Men field was always athletic, powerfull, full of sport.

What is art ? For one Patrick is artistic skater, for other he is not, for other Daisuke is artistic, and for another one Yuzuru is artistic, because his is showing his natural feelings and passion. So what is art ? Art is only played choreography or your true emotions that you show on ice ?

So I would hold on with making such name as The Death of Figure Skating as Art. :sarcasm:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
--on the subject of Modern Art and Figure Skating, they come together in my mind as Jeremy Abbott.
NOT that he's like an ugly piece of modern art, it's just that I'm sure he's a great artistic skater, everyone tells me so, but I don't understand it at ALL.
Art can move people immensely and go right over another person's head.