The ISU and SC have a different stories regarding Fedor Andreev's situation | Golden Skate

The ISU and SC have a different stories regarding Fedor Andreev's situation

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The ISU and SC have different stories regarding Fedor Andreev's situation

Desperate to find out the truth behind why Andreev was not allowed to compete at Worlds, I sent an e-mail to "International Figure Skating" magazine and Skate Canada.

The editor in chief of IFS wrote:

I have it from pretty good authority (the media representative at the event for the ISU) that: “He was not approved to skate because Skate Canada would not release him to Azerbaijan.” Until they release him, the ISU can not allow him to skate for another country.

However, the PR coordinator of SC says:

Fedor requested a release from Canada and following the guidelines of the Skate Canada release policy he was granted this. In order to represent Azerbaijan at Worlds, he had to show proof of citizenship to the Internationals Skating Union (ISU). The ISU did not accept his proof and is therefore not eligible to compete.

To say that I'm confused is an understatement. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
You are putting a lot of work into this, aren't you? Maybe I should send a note to ISU asking what Takahiko Kozuka ever did to them?

But interesting answers. I hope this gets resolved and he can skate for AZE next season.

i love to skate

Medalist
I wonder when he asked to be released. If it was after Canadian Nationals surely it takes more than two months to receive citizenship:confused: I'm more inclined to believe Skate Canada, but that's just me.

There is a middle ground that makes both parties not quite liars. Maybe Sakte Canada dragged their feet ("following the guidelines of Skate Canada release policy") until it was too late for even the rapid transit, we'll take anyone, anytime, citizneship procedure for Azerbaijan.

figuristka

Medalist
Iam not sure why he would have to show proof of citizenship? and to which country. He doesn¨t have to be a citizen of Azerbaijan to represent them at Worlds.Just a resident. Hope he can compete for Azerbaijan next season but again he won't have Azerbaijan citizenship would he? Good luck to him, hope he skates next season no matter what. His step dad used to be my coach so i would always hope for the best for him.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
HOPEFULLY G-d willingly, this will ALL BE RESOLVED in the coming weeks so that Fedor can be free to skate for Azerbaijin next season and qualify to go to the Olympics.

Something tells me that Skate Canada was to blame for this mess ANGRY FACE

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
"However, the PR coordinator of SC says:"

PR means Public Relations. Personages in that field have been known to, shall we say, bend the truth? I have more faith in the "media representative at the event for the ISU". SC may be embarrassed because so many people are unhappy that Fedor was not allowed to compete at Worlds. I should really like to read what Azerbaijan's skating federation has to say about this, although I think that Mathman's take on it may be correct. If SC dragged their feet, that would be reason enough for their PR coordinator to bend the truth, because no one likes a "dog in the manger". I hope the truth comes out, and I hope that Fedor will be allowed to skate for Azerbaijan next season. If the PR's statement is correct, then Fedor could still have a problem next season.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wonder when he asked to be released. If it was after Canadian Nationals surely it takes more than two months to receive citizenship:confused:

I would hope so...

how can one really say they're skating or their country when they've barely had time to actually claim it as their country?

screech

Final Flight
I wonder when he asked to be released. If it was after Canadian Nationals surely it takes more than two months to receive citizenship:confused: I'm more inclined to believe Skate Canada, but that's just me.

I think he started the process about 2 years ago... at least there were rumors of the fact.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
ugh

I hate how some skaters switch to other countries where it's easier to qualify if they can't qualify in their own because they aren't good enough. It's kind of like.. cheating. I mean, it's alright if they're changing countries to skate with a partner from another country, but single skaters really have no excuse for doing that, unless their federation treats them VERY badly.

figuristka

Medalist
It is a little funny how if you look up competitors from other countries that are smaller nations quite often they are from usa,russian etc I understand your point but i suppose if i skated at that level and had a chance to skate in events like Worlds or olympics for a small nation i would have for the love of the sport so think its alright.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I hate how some skaters switch to other countries where it's easier to qualify if they can't qualify in their own because they aren't good enough. It's kind of like.. cheating. I mean, it's alright if they're changing countries to skate with a partner from another country, but single skaters really have no excuse for doing that, unless their federation treats them VERY badly.

I don't really see why, using your logic, it's ok to swap countries for a partner but not for an individual. Think the "rent-a-russian" that went on in US ice dance. The Russian men were happy to skate for the US because they weren't good enough to crack the top 3 in Russia so they went to a weaker country to skate.

Tanith Belbin anyone?!

I don't see why someone could find it acceptable in a partnership and not individually.

(For the record i don't have a problem with skaters skating for a different country)

Ant

skatingbc

Final Flight
I think he started the process about 2 years ago... at least there were rumors of the fact.

Why on earth would he skate at Canadian Nationals then?

I would have loved to have seen him skate, but it all seemed a bit odd to me. Switching to Azerbaijan after competing at Canadians only two months before Worlds? I'm glad I didn't get my hopes up too much

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
1) Figuristka - I agree that something is fishy here as one doesn't need to be a citizen to represent a country, only a resident. I believe where citizenship comes in (besides being needed to represent at the Olympics) is that if one used to skate for country A and is now a citizen of country B, A doesn't even need to release him, he can skate for B no matter what. So once Fedor becomes an Azeri citizen, Canada can do nothing to stop him from representing it (I believe that's what happened to a Russian ice dancer whose name escapes me who married an American dancer and moved here, but Russia wouldn't release him until he finally got US citizenship and they could no longer stop him; they made some waves at Nationals a few years back - now I remember, his name was Magerovsky!).

2) Ant - I don't have a problem either way, but I think there is a world of difference. Tanith was looking for a partner far and wide, and the one she happened to find was in the US. In this partnership, which clearly worked well, one of them would have to switch countries. Therefore, it's arguable that switching countries by one partner benefits the sport of figure skating. When a singles skater switches country, it's a different story. He can continue to represent his own, and the only reason for the switch is to make qualifying for major competitions easier.

i love to skate

Medalist
I too find it odd when skaters switch countries, especially for a chance to skate in the Olympics. To me, one of the most special parts of the Olympics is representing your country and national pride...especially when the Olympics are in your home country!

antmanb

Record Breaker
2) Ant - I don't have a problem either way, but I think there is a world of difference. Tanith was looking for a partner far and wide, and the one she happened to find was in the US. In this partnership, which clearly worked well, one of them would have to switch countries. Therefore, it's arguable that switching countries by one partner benefits the sport of figure skating. When a singles skater switches country, it's a different story. He can continue to represent his own, and the only reason for the switch is to make qualifying for major competitions easier.

But surely there was a male figure skater somewhere in canada that Tanith could have skated with. Could they have got the same results as she and ben have had? Probably not. So isn't that just about getting better results too? The Pairs and Dancers don't go looking abroad for any reason other than to find the best skater they can, to give them a chance to not just succeed but be the best at the sport.

Similarly I think Samual Contesti god royally screwed by the French Federation. He's now having the last laugh having swapped to skate for Italy (again so that he could get the results, since the french fed were blocking him from internationals) if he'd been representing France this week they would have had three spots for the Olympics.

I too find it odd when skaters switch countries, especially for a chance to skate in the Olympics. To me, one of the most special parts of the Olympics is representing your country and national pride...especially when the Olympics are in your home country!

It depends on your nationality though - there are many many people with dual nationality who truly feel both nationalities.

Ant

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
So isn't that just about getting better results too? The Pairs and Dancers don't go looking abroad for any reason other than to find the best skater they can, to give them a chance to not just succeed but be the best at the sport.
Ah, but it's not the same. Imagine for a second that there are no competitions, and that all skaters want is to achieve the highest level of skating they are capable of. Having a good partner is essential for this; with a different partner, Tanith would not have become the athlete she is today. OTOH, a singles skater switching countries is only looking to improve his competition standing, not his mastery of the sport. Now, of course, there have been plenty of Russians who've disapproved of athletes going to the US to train (while continuing to represent Russia) but that is just another example of athletes making choices to become better in their sport.
It depends on your nationality though - there are many many people with dual nationality who truly feel both nationalities.
I think it's a safe bet that Fedor won't ever feel Azeri :)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ah, but it's not the same. Imagine for a second that there are no competitions, and that all skaters want is to achieve the highest level of skating they are capable of. Having a good partner is essential for this; with a different partner, Tanith would not have become the athlete she is today. OTOH, a singles skater switching countries is only looking to improve his competition standing, not his mastery of the sport. Now, of course, there have been plenty of Russians who've disapproved of athletes going to the US to train (while continuing to represent Russia) but that is just another example of athletes making choices to become better in their sport.

I do take your point and agree that the talent pool for partners in one country (especially when looking for a male partner) can be significantly smaller than others and that if a skater in pairs on dance truly wants to be the best they can in that discipline, it could take you to another country to find the partner that allows this, however, I somehow don't think that Tanith & Ben are in this just to become the best skaters they can be - don't get me wrong of course they do, but that end result is very much with the goal of competing in sight - otherwise they wouldn't be competing. I don't think cross border partnerships happen because of the greater good of skating or solely to be the best they can be - I think it is results driven in every case. And in this context - it's all about competitve skating.

I think it's a safe bet that Fedor won't ever feel Azeri :)

;) Fair point but i was just answering i love to skate's question of why - there are many people out there with dual (and more) nationality that come under fire from both nationalities for not be patriotic enough to one or other country - usually a simplistic argument from someone with only one clear nationality.

Ant

i love to skate

Medalist
;) Fair point but i was just answering i love to skate's question of why - there are many people out there with dual (and more) nationality that come under fire from both nationalities for not be patriotic enough to one or other country - usually a simplistic argument from someone with only one clear nationality.

Ant

People can definetly be dual citizens or be patriotic to different countries. However, when a person choses to skate for another country while they do not live there or have ties to that country - that I don't understand.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Maybe I should send a note to ISU asking what Takahiko Kozuka ever did to them?

:laugh:

Yeah, that's what I heard, too. This was apparently reported in a European fs magazine over 3 years ago. Fedor was then forced to retire from the sport due to injury, but it's possible that the Azerbaijani federation still had his file.

...single skaters really have no excuse for doing that, unless their federation treats them VERY badly.

I don't know what your definition of "VERY badly" is, but I think SC shortchanged him on a few occasions. There were a couple of times where Andreev finished a questionable 6th at Canadians (and thus was denied a spot on the National Team). Some people believe he should've been the 2003 Canadian champion, and he was blatantly robbed of the bronze medal at the 2004 Canadians (Buttle received a free gift at that event). When Stojko claimed he would return to competition in the 2003/2004 season, 1 of the 2 GP assignments which was originally given to Fedor was handed to Elvis instead. His PCS was undermarked at this year's Nationals.

Why on earth would he skate at Canadian Nationals then?

His back only stopped hurting in the late summer of 2007, so I guess he was more focused on getting back into the swing of things rather than whether or not he would make the World team. Andreev could've switched allegiance after the 2008 Nationals, but instead he seriously considered quitting. He only began training again during the last week of October, and I suppose he decided to give it one more shot as a Canadian skater.

Fedor has almost no chance of making the Olympic team if he stays in Canada, so he has take a different route if he wants to get there. I'm sure he'd much rather represent the Maple Leaf (you can read about his disappointment here: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Business/TheStarPhoenix+figure+skating+blog/1172521/story.html), but he knows that SC has no interest in supporting an "old" skater when there is so much young talent to choose from (especially now that the Canadian men only have 2 spots for next year).

Andreev has a loyal fan base here, so assuming he qualifies for Vancouver, I'm sure the Canucks in the audience will cheer warmly and hold up Canadian flags for him even though he's representing a different nation. They understand he's still a Canadian in spirit, and this is almost as good as competing for the Maple Leaf. Fedor will probably keep Orser as his part-time coach and Buttle as his choreographer, so that helps in maintaining his connection with the country he grew up in.

Last edited: