The ISU and SC have a different stories regarding Fedor Andreev's situation | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The ISU and SC have a different stories regarding Fedor Andreev's situation

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've just discovered an article that was published 2 days ago which mentions Fedor (scroll to the bottom): http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/537762 I thought this quote was interesting:

Fedor Andreev, the 1999 Canadian junior champion, has been given permission by Skate Canada to compete for Azerbaijan next year.

It more or less supports what the ISU media representative said to the editor in chief of "International Figure Skating" (i.e. SC didn't release Andreev), although I'm still not sure who I should believe.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
....Fedor Andreev, the 1999 Canadian junior champion, has been given permission by Skate Canada to compete for Azerbaijan next year.....QUOTE]

Aha! Looks like the proverbial "smoking gun" to me! Thanks for showing us this article. My impression is that the Canadian federation has behaved selfishly this season, no matter what their PR persons claims. I am glad that they have seen the light. Usually I do not post in such harsh terms, but any time any federation impedes a skater's individual progress, it angers me, and especially when it is a skater who brings artistic beauty to the ice.

figuristka

Medalist
Well i hope Sc didn't just decide to allow him to skate for Azerbijan the day after the men's short program.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Usually I do not post in such harsh terms, but any time any federation impedes a skater's individual progress, it angers me, and especially when it is a skater who brings artistic beauty to the ice.

Well, it's possible that the journalist for "The Hamilton Spectator" heard the wrong thing. For what it's worth, the PR coordinator who replied to me insists that SC released Fedor on Feb. 20. This may be the truth, or she may be fudging the facts. :confused:

And there is of course that e-mail that PJ Kwong received from a viewer named Laurie while Adrian Schultheiss waited for his SP marks. She claimed that Andreev was cleared by the ISU to compete at Worlds, but it was the Azerbaijani federation who didn't name him to the World team on time. We should probably take Laurie's comment with a grain of salt, but I'm not ready to discount anything yet.

It should be noted that PJ herself doesn't know any details about Fedor's situation. Her exact response to me was:

I don't have any information about Fedor beyond having seen him on the list with a TBC beside his name and then his name was gone. I suspect that by having competed at Canadian nationals this year he was not allowed to represent another country in the same season but that is only speculation on my part.

She said something similar during the Group 8 warm-up of the Men's SP.

I should really like to read what Azerbaijan's skating federation has to say about this.

Me too, but they don't seem to have a website or an e-mail address. Would someone like to volunteer and contact them? I don't have access to a fax machine, and I don't have a long distance plan. My only affordable option would be to send them snail mail, but that would take forever.

This is their contact info, which I copied and pasted from this page: http://ww2.isu.org/organization/members.html

THE SKATING FEDERATION OF AZERBAIJAN REPUBLIC
Address: c/o NOC of Azerbaijan, Olympic st. 5, 370072 Baku
Telefax: (+994) 12 90 42 25
Telephone: (+994) 12 90 13 23
President: Aliyev Goussein, Mr
General Secretary: Moiseyeva Ludmila, Mrs

Well i hope Sc didn't just decide to allow him to skate for Azerbijan the day after the men's short program.

That thought crossed my mind, too. Imagine that Fedor only received his release on the day of the Men's LP. :rolleye: Assuming that the article is true (and who knows at this point if it is or not), what valid reason would SC have to deny him much-needed international exposure? :scratch:

It's been a week since Andreev's name was removed from the Entries List; doesn't anyone else think it's VERY strange that we still don't know exactly why? :think:

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'll be totally honest, I would like to see him skate because he is the most beautiful skater I have ever seen. And of course I'm not talking about his skating, lol, but his looks. Therefore, I will revise ~ he is the best looking skater I have ever seen ~ and, yes, that does count at least 50-75% for me. :)

Years ago I wanted so much for him & Sasha Cohen to both take up pairs skating & become a team, representing the USA, of course. ;) Ah, one can still dream...

That said, he really does represent to me the meaning of dilettante.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Therefore, I will revise ~ he is the best looking skater I have ever seen ~ and, yes, that does count at least 50-75% for me. :)

While I agree with you that Fedor is the most attractive men's singles skater in history :cool:, it's his lyrical skating which I adore the most. I think his "Violin Concerto" LP is a work of art :love: (although you have to ignore the popped Axels at the start ;)): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5fMW9-t99E

Years ago I wanted so much for him & Sasha Cohen to both take up pairs skating & become a team, representing the USA, of course. ;) Ah, one can still dream...

Didn't Sasha have a crush on him at one point? At least, that's what I've heard.

It's really too bad about Fedor's back. He could've been a great pairs skater---if he was willing to devote himself completely to it.

That said, he really does represent to me the meaning of dilettante.

You could be right; the guy has more interests than I can count. I think only drift racing received most of his attention, although I've been informed that he hasn't been involved with the motor sport world since he abruptly retired almost 2 years ago. His sudden departure apparently confused a lot his drifting fans.

Thanks, Siberia. :)

This may sound like a very stupid question, but you're thanking me for what exactly? :p

Last edited:

Orion

Rinkside
While I agree with you that Fedor is the most attractive men's singles skater in history :cool:, it's his lyrical skating which I adore the most. I think his "Violin Concerto" LP is a work of art :love: (although you have to ignore the popped Axels at the start ;)): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s2u00B3pf4

Wow, what a skater! Thanks Siberia for posting on youtube - I had never seen Fedor before so I decided to check him out and what a pleasant surprise he was! A man whose skating is actually on a par with his gorgeous looks - THIS is the kind of skater I want to see at Worlds and other major competitions!

Let's hope he'll 'pull a Contesti' by going to skate for another country and becoming a smashing success! After all, they have many things in common: they're of the same age, they were badly treated by the figure skating associations in their own country, they've had to wait for years for their chance, they're handsome and their skating is wonderfully artistic - yes, please Fedor, do show them like Contesti did that it's never too late to become a great success if you've got what it takes!

Good luck! :rock:

Eevun

Final Flight
Wow, what a skater! Thanks Siberia for posting on youtube - I had never seen Fedor before so I decided to check him out and what a pleasant surprise he was! A man whose skating is actually on a par with his gorgeous looks - THIS is the kind of skater I want to see at Worlds and other major competitions!
I did the very same thing! But I know from before that Siberia has very good taste in skating men, Koffe e.g. ;) :p

Good to see you posting here again, fellow Gothenburgian! :agree:

i love to skate

Medalist
Let's hope he'll 'pull a Contesti' by going to skate for another country and becoming a smashing success! After all, they have many things in common: they're of the same age, they were badly treated by the figure skating associations in their own country, they've had to wait for years for their chance, they're handsome and their skating is wonderfully artistic - yes, please Fedor, do show them like Contesti did that it's never too late to become a great success if you've got what it takes!

Not to be nitpicky, but Fedor was not treated badly by Skate Canada and he had chances in the past to prove himself. He finished 3rd and 4th at Nationals in '03 and '04. He was also assigned to Four Continents at one point and I believe a couple Grand Prix events.

The bottom line is Fedor will sail into the Olympics and all those other talented Canadian men will have to fight it out at Can Nats. Only two, unfortunately next year. Chan and Chipeur totaled 14, just 1 shy for 3 places. Rats!

Nadine

Record Breaker
While I agree with you that Fedor is the most attractive men's singles skater in history :cool:, it's his lyrical skating which I adore the most. I think his "Violin Concerto" LP is a work of art :love: (although you have to ignore the popped Axels at the start ;)): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s2u00B3pf4

Didn't Sasha have a crush on him at one point? At least, that's what I've heard.

It's really too bad about Fedor's back. He could've been a great pairs skater---if he was willing to devote himself completely to it.

You could be right; the guy has more interests than I can count. I think only drift racing received most of his attention, although I've been informed that he hasn't been involved with the motor sport world since he abruptly retired almost 2 years ago. His sudden departure apparently confused a lot his drifting fans.

Thank you, siberia82, for the link.

My God, not having had the pleasure to watch him skate nor see him at all in fact for literally years, I was shocked (pleasantly so) to see this tall, elegant, lyrical young man appear on my screen. He's grown so much, not only in height, but his skating as well. For some reason, the first thought that came to me when I saw him skate was the movie Pride & Prejudice, I feel as if he danced right off the screen. Upon reflection, he reminds me a bit of the 1994 Olympic Men's Skating Champion (Alexei?, sorry I can't remember his name, but I do recall his FS, which beat out my fav Elvis Stojko; his FS was reminiscent of Fedor's, interesting, both lyrical skaters, poets in fact). Once again, thanks for the link, shocking to see him after so many years ~ no longer a boy, now a man, and an even more beautiful one at that, lol. :)

P.S. yes, I think I too recall that Sasha had a crush on him at one point, but alas, Tanith Belbin was his gal.;)

EDITED TO ADD: oops, forgot to also thank you for the info. about his back, never knew he had a bad one, sorry to hear. Ah, my hopes of him & Sasha skating together one day as a pair are dashed. :frown:

Last edited:

Orion

Rinkside
I did the very same thing! But I know from before that Siberia has very good taste in skating men, Koffe e.g. ;) :p

Good to see you posting here again, fellow Gothenburgian! :agree:

Thanks so much - from one Gothenburgian to another! Actually I've been here reading every day during Worlds - I guess it's time I started posting again! :p
Oh, and I always read your posts with great interest!

LOL about Siberia - it does look like she's got great taste in men! Speaking of great taste in men - I see that you have four knockouts proudly on display! ;)

For some reason, the first thought that came to me when I saw him skate was the movie Pride & Prejudice, I feel as if he danced right off the screen. Upon reflection, he reminds me a bit of the 1994 Olympic Men's Skating Champion (Alexei?, sorry I can't remember his name, but I do recall his FS, which beat out my fav Elvis Stojko; his FS was reminiscent of Fedor's, interesting, both lyrical skaters, poets in fact). :

Yes, I agree, Fedor looks perfect to play Mr. Darcy in Pride & Prejudice! And I think the skater he reminds you of is Alexei Urmanov (present coach of Voronov).

The bottom line is Fedor will sail into the Olympics and all those other talented Canadian men will have to fight it out at Can Nats. Only two, unfortunately next year. Chan and Chipeur totaled 14, just 1 shy for 3 places. Rats!

How I wish all countries would get to send three men (at least!), that is, all countries with many high-level skaters. It just doesn't seem right to deny great skaters the right to participate because they happen to live in a country where there are many great skaters. And we're not exactly thrilled that we only get to send one Swedish man next year (and no lady)!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Orion, Eevun and Nadine, I'll respond to you later. The über-fan in me has to deal with the criticism first. :p

Not to be nitpicky, but Fedor was not treated badly by Skate Canada and he had chances in the past to prove himself. He finished 3rd and 4th at Nationals in '03 and '04. He was also assigned to Four Continents at one point and I believe a couple Grand Prix events.

I fully recognize that Andreev has a poor work ethic, which is why he's an inconsistent skater. However, me and some of his fans still feel that he was unfairly judged at times at Nationals. His marks sometimes reflected more the fact that SC didn't want to promote an athlete with a weak commitment to the sport rather than how he actually skated on that day.

I admit I haven't seen the 2001 and the 2002 Canadians in ages, so I'll have to check the performances again, but my opinion the first time I had watched them was that Fedor (who ended up 6th over-all in both cases) did well enough to make the National team.

As for the 2003 Canadians, I have a very hard time believing that the man who cleanly performed a total of 1 quad (it was indeed ratified---Andreev is officially recognized at the 6th Canadian skater to land a quad in competition http://www.radio-canada.ca/sportsamateurs/patinage_saskatoon/nouvelles/200301/11/004-LibreMessieursSeniors.asp) and 11 triples (3 of which were in combination) during the short and the long should be ranked lower than the guy who had a total of 0 clean quads and 7 good triples with only 1 in combination (Sandhu) and the skater with a total of 0 clean quads and 8 solid triples with 1 combo (Buttle). The fact that Fedor was the only skater that day who received a standing ovation a full 30 seconds (yes, I timed it) before the end of his free skate says a lot about his performance.

At the 2004 Canadians, Andreev was unfairly placed 4th after the SP. His jump content was exactly the same as Jeff's EXCEPT that the latter included a simpler 3-toe/3-toe combo while Fedor did a slightly more difficult 3-flip/3-toe. Moreover, Andreev skated his SP absolutely perfectly while Buttle had a couple of shaky landings (even though they were all clean). Whatever position the judges would've given to Jeff for the SP, Fedor should've finished one place higher.

Buttle (who only had 2 clean triples in his LP) should've been ranked behind Nicholas Young in the free skate because the latter landed 6 good triples.

As for this year's Nationals, it's true that Andreev didn't have a great SP, but I was a little miffed that his PCS was only a point higher than Reynolds. I'm sorry, but no judge is going to convince me that Fedor's skating skills, interpretation, etc. are as dreadful as Kevin's. :rolleye:

Popping the 3-Axels at the start of his LP was indeed horrible, but the rest of the performance was very lovely (and Andreev was rewarded with a standing ovation at the end). Over-all, I think he skated it better than last year's LP, yet his PCS for "Violin Concerto" was a few points lower than his tango routine.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
Orion, Eevun and Nadine, I'll respond to you later. The über-fan in me has to deal with the criticism first. :p

I fully recognize that Andreev has a poor work ethic, which is why he's an inconsistent skater. However, me and some of his fans still feel that he was unfairly judged at times at Nationals. His marks sometimes reflected more the fact that SC didn't want to promote an athlete with a weak commitment to the sport rather than how he actually skated on that day.

I admit I haven't seen the 2001 and the 2002 Canadians in ages, so I'll have to check the performances again, but my opinion the first time I had watched them was that Fedor (who ended up 6th over-all in both cases) did well enough to make the National team.

As for the 2003 Canadians, I have a very hard time believing that the man who cleanly performed a total of 1 quad (it was indeed ratified---Andreev is officially recognized at the 6th Canadian skater to land a quad in competition http://www.radio-canada.ca/sportsamateurs/patinage_saskatoon/nouvelles/200301/11/004-LibreMessieursSeniors.asp) and 11 triples (3 of which were in combination) during the short and the long should be ranked lower than the guy who had a total of 0 clean quads and 7 good triples with only 1 in combination (Sandhu) and the skater with a total of 0 clean quads and 8 solid triples with 1 combo (Buttle). The fact that Fedor was the only skater that day who received a standing ovation a full 30 seconds (yes, I timed it) before the end of his free skate says a lot about his performance.

At the 2004 Canadians, Andreev was unfairly placed 4th after the SP. His jump content was exactly the same as Jeff's EXCEPT that the latter included a simpler 3-toe/3-toe combo while Fedor did a slightly more difficult 3-flip/3-toe. Moreover, Andreev skated his SP absolutely perfectly while Buttle had a couple of shaky landings (even though they were all clean). Whatever position the judges would've given to Jeff for the SP, Fedor should've finished one place higher.

Buttle (who only had 2 clean triples in his LP) should've been ranked behind Nicholas Young in the free skate because the latter landed 6 good triples.

As for this year's Nationals, it's true that Andreev didn't have a great SP, but I was a little miffed that his PCS was only a point higher than Reynolds. I'm sorry, but no judge is going to convince me that Fedor's skating skills, interpretation, etc. are as dreadful as Kevin's. :rolleye:

Popping the 3-Axels at the start of his LP was indeed horrible, but the rest of the performance was very lovely (and Andreev was rewarded with a standing ovation at the end). Over-all, I think he skated it better than last year's LP, yet his PCS for "Violin Concerto" was a few points lower than his tango routine.

Fedor is a very talented skater there is no question about it - he used to be my favorite when I was young. However, I had posted what I did because he has not been treated horribly by Skate Canada and he definetly had the chance for some international exposure. I was at Canadians in 2001 and from what I remember he seemed fairly slow, didn't really project to the audience, not to mention his horrible costume (I think it had wings!).

Fedor really didn't skate very well at the international competitions he was assigned to, so it is unfair to say he has never been given a chance. I believe Skate Canada would have wanted more than anything to have Fedor as their poster boy. He was branded as the next one when he won Junior Canadians and with his personality, good looks and talent he would have been so popular. However, as you said he lacks the work ethic to have reached his potential which is really too bad. He could have been something really special. Also, about his quad it may have been ratified as that was still in the old system but I think it definetly would have been underroated now.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was at Canadians in 2001 and from what I remember he seemed fairly slow, didn't really project to the audience,

I'm only relying on memory for this (I'm still looking for my copy of the event!), but I didn't think Ravi Walia (the eventual 5th place finisher) performed any better. In fact, at least in my eyes, his programs were forgettable.

My feelings are similar for the 2002 Nationals, except that the 5th place skater was Ben Ferreira, who also didn't have a memorable outing.

not to mention his horrible costume (I think it had wings!).

:eek: I know which one you're referring to: the Flying Lizard Boy outfit! What was Marina Z. thinking when she dressed up her son in that horrid electric blue-green thing???: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1pQ_M36iao

Fedor really didn't skate very well at the international competitions he was assigned to, so it is unfair to say he has never been given a chance.

I agree with you that Andreev wasted most of his international opportunities, earning poor-to-medocre results. The only notable exception was the 2002 Nebelhorn Trophy, where he won the bronze medal. However, as much as I understand why SC wasn't interested in supporting his career, holding him down in the standings at the Canadian Championships even when he had skated better than their pet favourites is still "unfair treatment" in my opinion.

Also, about his quad it may have been ratified as that was still in the old system but I think it definetly would have been underroated now.

I believe it may have been about 1/4 turn cheated, so that's borderline. In any case, the 2003 Canadians was judged under the 6.0 system, not CoP (which didn't exist at the time). This was an era where jumps were de rigueur, as Dodhiyel put it, and Fedor outjumped both Sandhu and Buttle by a considerable margin, yet he was ranked behind both of them. The gold medal is supposed to go to the best competitor, which Andreev was. Not only was he robbed of the Canadian title that year, but he also denied a trip to Worlds.

In 2004, Fedor outjumped Jeff (with the old system was still in place) by 4 triples and performed one more combination over his teammate, yet Buttle was handed the bronze medal on a plate while Andreev finished off the podium. How is that fair? :scowl:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Siberia, thanks for the video and the link. Lovely program - you can see Buttle's touch, definitely - and well skated apart from the axels (pity). I don't recall seeing Fedor skate before but now I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him at Euros if the AZE thing works out (still can't spell it ;)).

:agree: to Fedor for wearing a simple costume, I hope others follow his lead. But he needs to drop the Zac Ephron haircut. It doesn't look good on anyone. He's too good looking to hide it with all that hair :biggrin:.

figuristka

Medalist
Iam quite impressed with how long the tread has gotten in reference to Fedor. i think the majority would have liked to see him skating for Azerbijan at Worlds, and would just be happy to see him skate internationally, if he could not do that with Canada. Although Fedor is handsome , i could never see him as hot as i cannot help remembering when i skated at his club , him wondering around the arena as a 13 yr old.

i love to skate

Medalist
:eek: I know which one you're referring to: the Flying Lizard Boy outfit! What was Marina Z. thinking when she dressed up her son in that horrid electric blue-green thing???: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1pQ_M36iao

haha that made me laugh. It definetly is one of the worst costumes I've seen! :laugh:

I agree with you that Andreev wasted most of his international opportunities, earning poor-to-medocre results. The only notable exception was the 2002 Nebelhorn Trophy, where he won the bronze medal. However, as much as I understand why SC wasn't interested in supporting his career, holding him down in the standings at the Canadian Championships even when he had skated better than their pet favourites is still "unfair treatment" in my opinion.

In 2004, Fedor outjumped Jeff (with the old system was still in place) by 4 triples and performed one more combination over his teammate, yet Buttle was handed the bronze medal on a plate while Andreev finished off the podium. How is that fair? :scowl:

I think you can make numerous cases with the old system about skaters being held down/"waiting their turn". So in that respect Fedor is no different than many others. I think these past two years if he had really buckled down and trained hard he could have made the World team with his great choreography and jumps. I don't think you can really expect to just pick up training in October or November and have expectations to be the top three in your country. Look at Vaughn Chipeur for example, he had failed to put it together for a long time and instead of getting discouraged he reevaluated his whole ideas about training and conditioning and he managed to make it to Worlds.

I'm enjoying our discussion on the topic! :)

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I still owe replies to a few people :eek:, but I thought you guys would like to know that I figured out the source of the rumour which was submitted to PJ Kwong.

An acquaintance jotted down exactly what one of the commentators for Hungarian Eurosport, Judit Fürst (previously the head of the Hungarian federation and a retired international judge), had to say about Fedor's situation while Kristin Fraser & Igor Lukanin waited for their Compulsory Dance marks:

"Hát tulajdonképpen az azeri állampolgárságot állítólag nagyon könnyű megszerezni. Most úgy volt, hogy itt, a világbajnokságon azeri színekben indul egy... többszörös kanadai bajnokságon dobogón állt... Fedor Andrejevnek hívják a versenyzőt. És tulajdonképpen meg is volt már minden papírja, csak az azeri szövetség elfelejtette 30 nappal a verseny kezdete előtt leadni a papírokat, és ezért nem indulhatott."

My acquaintance then translated her comment into English:

"Actually, it's said that it's very easy to obtain the citizenship of Azerbaijan. A multiple Canadian national medallist, Fedor Andeev was expected to compete here for Azerbaijan, and he had all the paperwork done, but the Federation of Azerbaijan forgot to nominate him [to the World team] 30 days prior the World Championships and that's why he cannot be here now."

Fürst describes Andreev as a multiple Canadian national medallist, which is obviously a mistake, but perhaps the rest of her information is accurate. Or not. :unsure:

It seems that the more I try to find out what happened, the more muddled everything gets. :banging: