Thoughts on Ladies' FS at Russian Nats? | Golden Skate

Thoughts on Ladies' FS at Russian Nats?

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Top 3 just :jaw:
I said it in the comp. thread but 3 clean, back-to-back 2 quad skates is just incredible!
Daria was also great, keeping composed after all the excitement to deliver a clean free and Maiia rebounded well from the quad fall to give a nice performance for 5th place. Liza N also kept calm after the pop to have a lovely free skate, nice to see her in the top 6.
I'm sad for Liza and Anastasiia G, both of whom I hoped might be able to keep their momentum from Rostelecom Cup for better placements here, sadly, it was not their day :(

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My thoughts are: wow wow wow!

How lucky Russia is to have so much talent and this is without Kostornaia and Medvedeva here! The top 3 were just amazing. And must have nerves of steel. I think Trusova going for less makes me appreciate her skating more when its clean like this. Congrats to Anna - I kept expecting her to run out of steam but nope. And Kamila's quad toes are so big! And how did I not know before that Trusova and Usacheva have basically the same FS music?!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
- Shcherbakova is now the first thrice-consecutive Russian ladies' champion since Slutskaya, which is quite a feat when she was a big question mark going into this event.

- Valieva was also at her best.

- Trusova's injury necessitated the relatively conservative strategy of only two quads ( :laugh: ), which ironically is one of the things she apparently left Eteri over, only for it to work here. Though the results clearly show why she will in fact need more quads, since the judges won't give it to her if BV is relatively equivalent.

- Tuktamysheva probably shouldn't have skated here, she looked exhausted by mid-program, but she's always been one to tough it out.

- For Nugumanova this might be the highlight of her career.

- Talalaikina has been a minor favourite of mine for a few years, even if we only see her at nationals.

esteticlove

Final Flight
Those were Sasha's best performances for the entire season. The idea to reduce the tech content in order to gain more stability, proved right. The only wrong thing is that this strategic move came too late, but I guess her team should know it better for the next year. She really tried very hard to listen to the music and to be expressive, which in my opinion, was successful. Still, she is behind her competition in this category, but this shouldn't discourage her. I hope she's not too hard on herself after this competition, her spot on the National team is secured.

Valieva - as some other posters, I was actually predicting that Sasha would win the event after pulling of all of her jumps like a badass. I also was doubting that Kamila would keep it together under the pressure, so you can imagine how my jaw dropped after her final pose. She was fierce! I really think that for the first time she presented a more darker and determined version of herself, quite different from all the "cloudy" and "dreamy" programs she has had so far. I loved the sharpness of every move, it gave me chills! If she had landed her 3A in the SP, she probably would have been able to top Anna.. or at least to be very, very close to her.

Anna - no words. I was literally thinking that's it, the pressure after a clean Sasha and clean Kamila plus the fact of her own health problems, would probably lead to a disastrous skate. If you have managed to read everything I've written so far, you'll probably have noticed that I am really bad at predictions :biggrin: I don't know how she managed to do this, but it was epic! :jump:3 times National Champion! :yahoo:

Dasha and Maia - they were deemed to be a something like a "weaker" pack of juniors, but here they proved the opposite. I am very happy for a clean Daria after 3 phenomenal skaters before her. The pressure should have been enormous! And as for Maiia - even though she fell on the quad, I think this was the cleanest she has skated her FS so far? Last year I found her quite dull, but she really has grown into a very energetic performer!

Last but not least - :bow: to Team Tutberidze. After a difficult start of the season, with pandemic and loss of on ice-time, with loss of what was rumoured to be the most valuable coach, and very talented skaters, they proved that as long as you work hard, success will come to you despite the challenges.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Those were Sasha's best performances for the entire season. The idea to reduce the tech content in order to gain more stability, proved right. The only wrong thing is that this strategic move came too late, but I guess her team should know it better for the next year. She really tried very hard to listen to the music and to be expressive, which in my opinion, was successful. Still, she is behind her competition in this category, but this shouldn't discourage her. I hope she's not too hard on herself after this competition, her spot on the National team is secured.

Valieva - as some other posters, I was actually predicting that Sasha would win the event after pulling of all of her jumps like a badass. I also was doubting that Kamila would keep it together under the pressure, so you can imagine how my jaw dropped after her final pose. She was fierce! I really think that for the first time she presented a more darker and determined version of herself, quite different from all the "cloudy" and "dreamy" programs she has had so far. I loved the sharpness of every move, it gave me chills! If she had landed her 3A in the SP, she probably would have been able to top Anna.. or at least to be very, very close to her.

Anna - no words. I was literally thinking that's it, the pressure after a clean Sasha and clean Kamila plus the fact of her own health problems, would probably lead to a disastrous skate. If you have managed to read everything I've written so far, you'll probably have noticed that I am really bad at predictions :biggrin: I don't know how she managed to do this, but it was epic! :jump:3 times National Champion! :yahoo:

Dasha and Maia - they were deemed to be a something like a "weaker" pack of juniors, but here they proved the opposite. I am very happy for a clean Daria after 3 phenomenal skaters before her. The pressure should have been enormous! And as for Maiia - even though she fell on the quad, I think this was the cleanest she has skated her FS so far? Last year I found her quite dull, but she really has grown into a very energetic performer!

Last but not least - :bow: to Team Tutberidze. After a difficult start of the season, with pandemic and loss of on ice-time, with loss of what was rumoured to be the most valuable coach, and very talented skaters, they proved that as long as you work hard, success will come to you despite the challenges.
Well Sasha wanted to be #1. Clean skater won't give her that.
It was pretty nice to clean skates from the top skaters.

esteticlove

Final Flight
Yeah, but had she started the season lower and up-ed the tech gradually towards the Nationals, the result today could have been different. Of course, this is only a could have should have discussion, we don't know at the end. But to throw multiple quads and 3As at the GP and then get injured for the most important competition of the season didn't get great results as well.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

“I am very happy!” Shcherbakova said. “This was my first run-through of the free skate for a very long time. Therefore, I threw out some transitions to make it through the program, but I am happy that everything worked out and that I justified my hopes.”

The skater revealed that her coaches had given her the option to withdraw more than once, but she was determined to compete. “And here I proved that it was not in vain,” she stated.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I'm sure Rika (and Wakaba and Kaori) have something to say about that. But as a whole, they are all amazing!!
I haven’t seen their LP’s, but I did see Rikas SP. I am not certain she will beat these girls. There is no certainty on figure skating though. I thought she was going to beat Alina easily for world champion, but she didn’t skate consistently. Alina was definitely benefiting from Olympic champion boost scores that season, but Rika could’ve beaten her had she stayed clean. These Russian girls have nerves of steel. When is the Japanese ladies LP?

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I haven’t seen their LP’s, but I did see Rikas SP. I am not certain she will beat these girls. There is no certainty on figure skating though. I thought she was going to beat Alina easily for word champion, but she didn’t skate consistently. These Russian girls have nerves of steel. When is the Japanese ladies LP?
They haven't done their long programs yet. Their LP is tomorrow. True but except for Anna, the Russian girls aren't pillars of consistency either. Rika also has the advantage of a 3A in the short.

Amei

Record Breaker
She needs a clean skate but if her competitors with better non-jump elements and slightly more difficult jumps are clean she needs to up her game. I think Shcherbakova and Nationals provides a blueprint for Trusova stick with the higher values quads and stabilize combinations for them, she doesn't necessarily need 5 quads and a triple axel.

Anna Shcherbakova ruled. An astonishing show.

I assume that one of Alexandra Trusova's 2As is a holding place for a third quad. She was great, but will need three quads if not four at some point. As constructed, her jumps are unbalanced -- 4 out of 7 are Lutzes. (I had this same criticism of Anna's jump layout last year -- it is better with the quad flip. She was not hurt by omitting a quad-triple combination -- not at all.)

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Anna Shcherbakova ruled. An astonishing show.

I assume that one of Alexandra Trusova's 2As is a holding place for a third quad. She was great, but will need three quads if not four at some point. As constructed, her jumps are unbalanced -- 4 out of 7 are Lutzes. (I had this same criticism of Anna's jump layout last year -- it is better with the quad flip. She was not hurt by omitting a quad-triple combination -- not at all.)
I assumed the 2A was a holding place for the 3A and that one of the lutzes would later become another quad and another quad would be added too but you might be right.

Do you think even 3 quads will be enough to beat a clean Anna? I feel like since she's behind Anna in every other catagory that even 3 quads would only barely pass her. That leaves room for no error. Maybe 3 quads and a 3A? Or is that still crazy too much?