Three Impossible Wishes | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Three Impossible Wishes

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My B ESP boys pronounce any name correctly.

:agree:

I love my B ESP boys. Although frankly, I couldn't care less how any announcer pronounces a name. :confused2:

I just want them to announce that the skaters I like are winning medals, and failing that, the love of the crowd. :biggrin:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:agree:

I love my B ESP boys. Although frankly, I couldn't care less how any announcer pronounces a name. :confused2:

I just want them to announce that the skaters I like are winning medals, and failing that, the love of the crowd. :biggrin:

They are the absolute best. I was thrilled to meet Chris last week at the Glacier Ice Show and told him how many fans they have on GS.

It's a foreign language nerd thing with me with the names, but that's something we will never all agree on. But wait, they don't butcher Jason's last name, so I guess my wish has already come true! :yahoo:

PomeloPooh

Rinkside
1.Schedule for Pyeongchang is properly rearranged so that skaters won't need to get up at ungodly hours to practice & compete on two consecutive days.

2.Japanese Nationals for ladies somehow ends with no tears or heartbreaks.

3.Yuzuru skates to Beijing 2022.

...and something new popped up in my head:

4. David Wilson choreo for Evgenia & classy costumes for Boyang

madforskating

On the Ice
Okay, here goes:
1. Alexa and Chris Knierim win an Olympic medal.
2. Men's Olympic podium is Jason, Patrick, and Shoma
3. Ice dance Olympic podium is Weaver/Poje, Shibutanis, and Chock/Bates; both V/M and P/C have their world titles already and it's time to let WeaPo get their fair air time.

ssffww

On the Ice
They are the absolute best. I was thrilled to meet Chris last week at the Glacier Ice Show and told him how many fans they have on GS.

It's a foreign language nerd thing with me with the names, but that's something we will never all agree on. But wait, they don't butcher Jason's last name, so I guess my wish has already come true! :yahoo:

I'm with you. It annoys me to no end that announcers don't pronounce skaters' names correctly. It's disrespectful. Perhaps they need to create a new assistant position. Someone who just stands behind them and whispers the correct pronunciation in their ear before they announce. :laugh:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm with you. It annoys me to no end that announcers don't pronounce skaters' names correctly. It's disrespectful. Perhaps they need to create a new assistant position. Someone who just stands behind them and whispers the correct pronunciation in their ear before they announce. :laugh:

I remember this topic came up before and we had the whole spectrum from "I could care less" to "It's a total insult to pronounce names wrong". Just a personal preference I guess. I like the idea of someone whispering the correct pronunciation in their ears!

Nonetheless, I didn't say a word to Chris about their horrific pronunciation! :laugh2: He was a joy to talk to and looked really happy when I told him how many fans they have. Also I didn't realize that they don't travel to the venue where the event is taking place. They did go to Helsinki for Worlds, but for example when they did Rostelecom, they didn't go to Moscow. I don't know if they were in TV studios or exactly where. He said the men's event was phenomenal in his view. I also said that I LOVED the pairs, and he agreed that the pairs were really exciting too. Wish I could have chatted with him more, but it was a super busy day for him.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I remember this topic came up before and we had the whole spectrum from "I could care less" to "It's a total insult to pronounce names wrong". Just a personal preference I guess. I like the idea of someone whispering the correct pronunciation in their ears!

Nonetheless, I didn't say a word to Chris about their horrific pronunciation! :laugh2: He was a joy to talk to and looked really happy when I told him how many fans they have. Also I didn't realize that they don't travel to the venue where the event is taking place. They did go to Helsinki for Worlds, but for example when they did Rostelecom, they didn't go to Moscow. I don't know if they were in TV studios or exactly where. He said the men's event was phenomenal in his view. I also said that I LOVED the pairs, and he agreed that the pairs were really exciting too. Wish I could have chatted with him more, but it was a super busy day for him.

German Eurosport mostly don't travel to the comps either. (They will for the Olympics and been at competitions in the past) I guess it just depends whether Eurosport deems it necessary. German Eurosport comment from their broadcasting offices in Munich, while the main offices are in Paris. I think I posted the video before, but here are BESP at Euros 2011. Next to them you can see Sigi Heinrich and Hendryk Schamberger, the German commentators. Sorry, for :eek:topic:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I think it can depend a bit. I have some Arabic friends who came to Canada as immigrants and learned / are learning English here, and some can't get my first name right, even when they repeat it right after I say it. But I do agree that it's something most commentators should work more on, because even if you struggle to get it quite right, you can improve at least.

Like the Swiss tennis player Stan Wawrinka. At lot of commentators pronounce that just as an English speaker would read it. The pronunciation key given is va-VINK-ah, and while I probably don't get the emphasis quite right, I can get pretty close. I'd be satisfied with announcers getting pretty close (which many don't), because it can be challenging to pronounce words/names from other languages/cultures right, and for some people more than others.

kurama45

Rinkside
In my small country we have only one comentator for all sports. We always made fun of him because of pronounciation. Like we weren´t angry or something like this (unless it was our favourite skater :laugh:), we know it´s impossible to get all names of all athletes right. Once we also were like he get it all wrong and so, but than we found out he was actually right :laugh:. So after that we are just happy for his "attempts" and we appreciate all his hardwork.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

Agree but, ya know, it's never perfect; college graduation ceremonies where grads hale from all parts of the world are a good example. A Dean responsible for announcing the grad's name and handing over the diplomas practice saying the names days in advance. They are given a complete list of actual names spelled coupled with the names spelled phonetically then lots of practice sessions begin where the names are repeated many times to come as close as possible... works well for the most part but there can be the occasional slip up.. :palmf:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Roughly from most to least impossible

1. An Icelandic skater qualifies for the Olympics.
2. Julia Lipnitskaya wins Russian Nationals.
3. Javier Fernandez doesn't retire at the end of next season.

Weathergal

Medalist
German Eurosport mostly don't travel to the comps either. (They will for the Olympics and been at competitions in the past) I guess it just depends whether Eurosport deems it necessary. German Eurosport comment from their broadcasting offices in Munich, while the main offices are in Paris. I think I posted the video before, but here are BESP at Euros 2011. Next to them you can see Sigi Heinrich and Hendryk Schamberger, the German commentators. Sorry, for :eek:topic:

I hadn't seen that clip--thank you so much for sharing!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Wow, u really like Mirai....🙂
Hoping the best for her. I wonder what her previous LP choice was; apparently, Max Aaron is using it.

I don't think it's an impossible wish for mirai to land a clean 3A in competition. Right?🤔

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
... graduation ceremonies where grads hale from all parts of the world are a good example. A Dean responsible for announcing the grad's name and handing over the diplomas practice saying the names days in advance.

Great example. I don't want my B.esp guys spending their time or worrying about this. I LOVE their commentary and that's the only important thing to me. Arriba, I'm so glad you told Chris how many avid fans they have on the forum.

It's worth remembering that the journalistic tradition in England is to Anglicize pronunciation of names and other words.

Also, I can't imagine any figure skater worrying about this. U.S. (and other) skaters get their names pronounced every which way and they don't seem bothered.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I LOVE their commentary and that's the only important thing to me. Arriba, I'm so glad you told Chris how many avid fans they have on the forum.

I remember promising quite a while ago that when I saw Chris, I would tell him how many fans they have. He is the director at Glacier. This was the third time I saw him and FINALLY got to talk to him! First time he was teaching the teachers, and the second time he had a group of young students with him. He was VERY happy when I told him how much they are appreciated by GS members. He got all enthused about the men's World's competition. I know he is a HUGE Shoma fan, and I would have loved to have had time to talk with him more. He's probably even a bigger fan now that Shoma skated in their show. And he wasn't even asked to skate, he offered. So that was a pretty cool thing.

kapukinii

Spectator
1. Elena Radionova makes a strong comeback and win the Olympics (I think she'll make the team, but winning😂)
2. Javier Fernández gets his 3 world title and doesn't retire at the end of the season.
3. People stops hating on the Russian girls😂 (I think if Evgenia wins Olympics they are going to hate her more😂)