Tim Goebel | Golden Skate

Tim Goebel

Rachael

On the Ice
Dear Tim,
I know you must be disappointed to your career in this way. Don't be too discounaged, you have a bright future off and on the ice. Remember all your beauitful career moments:

1999 Skate America
2000 Skate America
2002 Olympics
2002 Worlds
2003 Worlds

It's been a joy watching the past 10 years. Thanks for the memories.

Your biggest fan,
Rachael

Tim is quoted in the paper this morning as saying that he felt like he had "wasted the last four years of his life." Having spent the years since the last Olympics doing everything in his power to get back on the Olympic team in 2006, he felt overwhelmed by disappointment.

As time passes, I am sure that Tim will be able to put his career is better perspective. How many people in the world can say that they have competed in the Olympic games? How many have stood on the podium? How many figure skaters have done three quads in a single program? How many athletes these days can say that, though thick and thin, success and adversity, good times and bad, praise and criticism, they have unfailingly held themselves to the highest standard of conduct and earned the respect and admiration equally of their peers in the sport and of fans and audiences world-wide.

BTW, you can go to the SOI website and vote for Tim in a poll of who you would like to see join the cast next year. :agree:

Mathman :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Tim has nothing to be disappointed in, having medaled at the Grand Prix, Nationals, (two time champion) Worlds, and Olympics.........not too shabby. To say that he wasted the last four years of his life........well too bad, that's the way it goes sometimes. I'm sure he'll put it all in perspective as time goes by..........He's got the goods now, to be a fine addition to any ice show........42

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here's the Stars on Ice Link

and I suspect you could leave messages of encouragement for Tim on his website http://www.timothygoebel.net He has read such messages in the past.

Unfortunately, no one had 'thank you Tim' signs and such at the arena. A few Go Tim. I felt so bad for him. What a vile way to end a career.

Tim, please go talk to John Baldwin about putting yourself together and rising from the ashes...

A lot of people have enjoyed your skating and enthusiasm for a long time, including me.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It was sooooo hard to watch the Long Program the other night. After all he's gone through I'm sure it was not what he wanted to go out on... However, his short programs from the last 2 seasons have shown that he has matured as a skater artistically and I think he has a great pro career ahead of him if he so chooses.

Perhaps why he feels he's wasted 4 years is because tours are less likely to hire him NOW than 4 years ago when he was coming off an Olympic Bronze and World Silver... However that's a heck of a lot more than some of the other skaters on Champions and Stars ever had, so I'm sure with time the frustration will pass

I'd pay money to see him skate for many years to come...

the Men's were just a rollercoaster of emotions for me... TOO HARD

emma

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
It was sooooo hard to watch the Long Program the other night. After all he's gone through I'm sure it was not what he wanted to go out on... However, his short programs from the last 2 seasons have shown that he has matured as a skater artistically and I think he has a great pro career ahead of him if he so chooses.

Perhaps why he feels he's wasted 4 years is because tours are less likely to hire him NOW than 4 years ago when he was coming off an Olympic Bronze and World Silver... However that's a heck of a lot more than some of the other skaters on Champions and Stars ever had, so I'm sure with time the frustration will pass

I'd pay money to see him skate for many years to come...

the Men's were just a rollercoaster of emotions for me... TOO HARD

I too couldn't help but wonder if that's what tim meant (that he should have just gone pro and toured for the last four years)...and despite his improvements as you mention, the last few times I've seen him skate at comps, he just looked like he hated it...that's too bad. I do wish him all the best in whatever he does, and do hope to see him on SOI.

And, I still can't get over the rollercoaster feeling either...and I just saw it on tv.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Emma, I agree this year was the year that he lacked passion... last year at nationals though I think he found something special (namely having to skate from within due to his own roller coaster of emotion he was on)

and I still love his "Swing Kids" short program from this year... he did look like he was having fun with it... the LP though was never anything but a snoozefest. But it was nice to see him try something new...

I emailed him a long letter of support... I just hope he finds happiness in whatever he goes on to do

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I think he hasn't wasted the last four years of his life, because he did well in some competitions. But he sure got the message at nationals that his career has ended.