Transitioning from Rentals to Proper Skates | Golden Skate

Transitioning from Rentals to Proper Skates

jules56

Spectator
Hi! This is my first time posting on Golden Skate!

I am an adult skater in Australia who has just turned 19 and has just started skating lessons about 8 weeks ago having never formally skated before (but has done other sports and dancing recently in the past). I was picking up the basic skills (glides, swizzles, one foot etc) fairly quickly and developing a fair amount of speed and confidence on rentals so my coach suggested I get a pair of my own skates so I don’t learn any bad habits and progress through learn to skate as fast as possible so I can start learning jumps, spins etc for adult competitions (which is the goal).

I got fitted at the rink pro shop and they suggested Risports Electras (size 250) so I don’t need to upgrade as I learn more advance skills. I am average height, on the lighter side of average weight, and lean build.

I got the Electras and found skating in them very difficult compared to rentals which I read and was told is normal. However I have been skating in them for a week, and the biggest problem I am finding is that I am constantly favouring my inside edge (particularly on my left foot), struggling to stand square on the blades without holding the barrier and I can’t seem to do an outside edge, which in turn means gaining very little speed and glide.The blades on the boots seem very pronated inwards, seemly forcing me to do an inside edge all the time. So I questioned it back at the pro shop and they said that it is normal and blades are right for the boot shape and I should ask my coach for help regarding my edges.

So I thought I’d ask on here for advice as well on how to fix my edges and transitioning from rentals to proper skates as a beginner.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you!

bruingrl

Rinkside
I'm not familiar with those skates, but are your blades able to be adjusted? It sounds like a blade alignment issue. Have you talked to your coach about it?

You should be able to skate a straight line on a one foot glide without any effort. I tested myself by following a hockey line and closing my eyes for a few seconds. Before getting my blades aligned I always veered off to the outside edge on both feet. I took my skates in to the shop where I bought them and they adjusted the blades for me. I tried it again and the next time I went straight even with my eyes closed. Obviously don't try that on a crowded rink. Lol.

Oh, also, if you pronate you may need an insert. I had Superfeet put into my skates and they help a lot.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I got the Electras and found skating in them very difficult compared to rentals which I read and was told is normal. However I have been skating in them for a week, and the biggest problem I am finding is that I am constantly favouring my inside edge (particularly on my left foot), struggling to stand square on the blades without holding the barrier and I can’t seem to do an outside edge, which in turn means gaining very little speed and glide.The blades on the boots seem very pronated inwards, seemly forcing me to do an inside edge all the time. So I questioned it back at the pro shop and they said that it is normal and blades are right for the boot shape and I should ask my coach for help regarding my edges.

So I thought I’d ask on here for advice as well on how to fix my edges and transitioning from rentals to proper skates as a beginner.
<<Emphasis added>>

* It's not an issue of transitioning from rental skates to proper skates per se. You will potentially face this issue every time you change skates.

* First find a competent tech. The correct blade mounting position is not determined solely by the boot. It depends primarily on the skater.

* Have you seen this recent thread discussing pronation and how to systematically diagnose and correct it? In particular, see my Reply #2 and #4:

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I tested myself by following a hockey line and closing my eyes for a few seconds. ... Obviously don't try that on a crowded rink.
* I really would caution other skaters from doing this.

* As I mentioned in my posts in the other thread cited above, you want the blade to control you; you don't want to control the blade. If you intentionally sight along a straight line path, you will either consciously or subconsciously try to correct your glide to follow the straight line path. "Closing your eyes for a few seconds" is an apparent attempt to eliminate this bias. But it introduces bias of its own. And of course, depending on rink conditions and other skaters about, it's potentially dangerous (as you are aware of and pointed out).

* If at all possible, especially for a beginner, have someone else (a group instructor, coach, more experienced skater, ...) act as an observer to watch your glides. That way, you won't be pre-occupied by the test per se, and sway the results.

Last edited:

jules56

Spectator
<<Emphasis added>>

* It's not an issue of transitioning from rental skates to proper skates per se. You will potentially face this issue every time you change skates.

* First find a competent tech. The correct blade mounting position is not determined solely by the boot. It depends primarily on the skater.

* Have you seen this recent thread discussing pronation and how to systematically diagnose and correct it? In particular, see my Reply #2 and #4:

Unfortunately I don't have many options of skate techs as there is really only one proper ice skate shop in the city where I live, which is where I got my skates from. But I have booked a private with my coach where I will get their opinion on whether it's the blades that are the problem and if it turns out it is the blade I will go back to the shop and get one of the other skate techs at the shop to look at them.

Thank you for the link to thread I will definitely go read that. :)

Thanks for the advice!

jules56

Spectator
* I really would caution other skaters from doing this.

* As I mentioned in my posts in the other thread cited above, you want the blade to control you; you don't want to control the blade. If you intentionally sight along a straight line path, you will either consciously or subconsciously try to correct your glide to follow the straight line path. "Closing your eyes for a few seconds" is an apparent attempt to eliminate this bias. But it introduces bias of its own. And of course, depending on rink conditions and other skaters about, it's potentially dangerous (as you are aware of and pointed out).

* If at all possible, especially for a beginner, have someone else (a group instructor, coach, more experienced skater, ...) act as an observer to watch your glides. That way, you won't be pre-occupied by the test per se, and sway the results.
Thank you for the advice! I've decided to book a private with my coach to get my blade looked at and edges sorted. :)

jules56

Spectator
I'm not familiar with those skates, but are your blades able to be adjusted? It sounds like a blade alignment issue. Have you talked to your coach about it?

You should be able to skate a straight line on a one foot glide without any effort. I tested myself by following a hockey line and closing my eyes for a few seconds. Before getting my blades aligned I always veered off to the outside edge on both feet. I took my skates in to the shop where I bought them and they adjusted the blades for me. I tried it again and the next time I went straight even with my eyes closed. Obviously don't try that on a crowded rink. Lol.

Oh, also, if you pronate you may need an insert. I had Superfeet put into my skates and they help a lot.
Thank you for the suggestions! I believe and hope the blades can be adjusted 🤞

I have decided to book a private with my coach to work out whether it's the blades or not, as I mentioned it in my group lesson briefly but with the other skaters and the tight schedule my rink has with group lessons it was difficult to get the one on one help.

I hadn't thought about inserts but will look into that if necessary.

Thank you :)

loveohio

Rinkside
When my daughter wore Electras she hated the insoles they came with. We replaced them with Superfeet Hockey Comfort insoles, that have a nice heel cup that stabilized her heel, and our tech built them up underneath to correct her pronation on her landing leg.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
However I have been skating in them for a week, and the biggest problem I am finding is that
I re-read your post. Approximately how many sessions have you skated? Total ice time? Part of the problem may be you haven't broken in the boots enough. Though it does sound like something else is going on. Have you been breaking them in off-ice (e.g., repeated knee-and-ankle bends) as well?