TSL/This and That 2016-17 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

TSL/This and That 2016-17

MIM

Medalist
I am terribly late to respond to this thread. I enjoy watching your show. The interview/practice clips you posted for the SA are awesome!! Thank you!

1. How do you feel about the use of lyrics? Is it equivalent to the Cheesecake Factory menu? Are there simply too many options?
There should not be a rule in choosing music with or without lyrics in the first place. I am happy that skaters have a deeper pool of music they can get inspired by. With the rule in place, we would have not seen Kovtun's SP to I can't dance, Javi's FP to Guys and dolls, and Shibutanis' FD to Coldplay.

2. Who is your new skating obsession of the season?
Cha and Gubanova stand out at the JGPs.
Jorik caught my attention last season when he defeated D10 at the NRW. I love D10, but he made a lot of jump mistakes (by the way, where is Denis?) Jorik was a clear winner with superb SS, interpretation, extension, flow, execution, etc. except for an unfortunate music for the FS. This year he is promising with a stepped up free program. He is ready and focused.( I saw your interview with Jorik, thank you :thumbsup:)

3. Did you prefer Mao Asada or Kaetlyn Osmond?
ASADA.
Kaetlyn has matured the artistic side massively since I saw her at the WC 2013; but so did Mao. It is amazing Mao can advance artistically at this point of her career. There is no limit for her. Very inspiring!!

4. Did you prefer Patrick Chan or Nathan Chen?
Patrick!
I like Nathan, too.

5. How many quads is too many?
2 in SP and 3 in FP can make program artistically and technically brilliant. Because I saw them with Javi and Yuzu. :biggrin:

6. Will Marina Zoueva be successful at overseeing Patrick and Nathan? Will this set her up for a National Team Coordinator role?
Patrick
I can see that Patrick moves like an ice dancer in the first half of the FP at the Finlandia. He seemed to develop a breathing pattern or something that led his long and powerful stride to a 4T to a 3A to a 3S to a camel spin to a choreo sequence seamlessly. He does not go fast for easy steps/turn or slow down for jumps. He skates with same count and there is no time/beat wasted in his program (first half, maybe the whole program when he skates clean). This is possible with a help of a customized music by Eric and Marina's input as a ice dance coach.

Nathan
I think Nathan needs Marina to balance out his free program. Marina did an awesome job for his SP already. I see great confidence on Nathan's face during STSQ and he fully embraced Le Corsaire in his performance.

If Marina has a clear vision and proves she can apply it successfully to skaters in other disciplines and help them progress, give her whatever titles she deserves.

7. What do Hubbell and Donohue need to do in order to improve?
I think they move beautifully on the ice but lack charisma. There are too many good lyrical/gentle dance teams and it is hard to stand out among them with a lyrical/gentle dance.

8. Is wearing gray a good choice/bad choice?
I like gray in ombre or as a feather(i.e. Mao's Swan).

9. Were the Shibutanis and Weaver and Poje smart to not be seen until they are 100% given the tenuous state of shifting ice dance politics?
Well, we will see.

10. Which 'This and That' guest cohost has been your favorite?
Kori. I like her perspective as a coach. very informative!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@TSL, so nice to see the collaboration with Jackie @Rockerskater. I totally enjoyed it. more perspective and the interaction between you guys are both funny and informative. please keep it up. love to see more collaborations from your guys at live events.:agree: Both of you guys are charming and articulate.
One suggestion is that the mic is perhaps a bit toooo far away from Jackie. I cannot hear him well (especially in noisy live environment). hope you guys can address that. maybe clip a small mic on Jackie's shirt (His style is very neat BTW:))
@Jackie Wong regarding your "see things" of Gracie's lutz-toe combo. maybe you are not "seeing things", in her new SP. she is going for a relaxed display after combo landing to go with the style of this tango(languid, sensual) which is visibly different from her last SP combo landing expose (commanding). Maybe that is why you saw the more "controlled" thus effectless/relaxed landing of Gracie.
I think maybe this is why. and Gracie did that feel better in her practice than in competition Gracie is a bit more pumped up (her usual competition jitter), and her comp combo is not as relaxed.

EDIT: @Jackie Wong my take on Gracie's half flp towards end in SP. one more chance to work on that flip take off edge. :dev2::biggrin:

Last edited:

temadd

Final Flight
Dave,

First I want to say that I love TSL! I miss Jenny terribly, but I think you're doing a great job keeping the show going.

I've been trying to catch up with the shows that I missed while traveling, and I'm not finding some of them on your website--like the episodes with Drew and Kori. Did you change the website? Should I be looking elsewhere, like Facebook or YouTube?

Go tho the TSL youtube channel. All the interviews are there.