2022 US Nationals - Member Chat | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2022 US Nationals - Member Chat

ice coverage

Record Breaker
yeah now that you said voucher, Detroit did that too but i'm pretty sure we got 2 of them. hoping they do the same at nashville.

The more vouchers, the merrier, of course -- but I don't think I will get my hopes up.

FWIW, I looked back at an old e-mail for 2019 Detroit, and it said (emphasis not added), "Each volunteer will receive a ticket voucher redeemable for TWO (2) tickets to any session of their choice (including the Skating Spectacular). Each volunteer will receive their voucher at their first shift."

And the first e-mail I received (on Sep 25) about Nashville said, "Approved volunteers who meet the minimum shift requirement (TBD) will receive ... One ticket voucher redeemable for two single session tickets to any session at the 2022 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships ..."
(Thanks to you, I now know that the minimum requirement is three shifts.)

[Once in a while when a special voucher offer is announced as an incentive to fill shifts that have remained empty for some reason (less popular time/venue/role), it has worked out for me to earn an additional voucher that way.
But it depends a lot on what already is on my plate, and especially on how I feel about the particulars of the unclaimed shifts.]

I am very glad to hear that 100% masking 😷 of volunteers will be non-negotiable and top priority.

Thanks again for all your information, macy.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
The more vouchers, the merrier, of course -- but I don't think I will get my hopes up.

FWIW, I looked back at an old e-mail for 2019 Detroit, and it said (emphasis not added), "Each volunteer will receive a ticket voucher redeemable for TWO (2) tickets to any session of their choice (including the Skating Spectacular). Each volunteer will receive their voucher at their first shift."

And the first e-mail I received (on Sep 25) about Nashville said, "Approved volunteers who meet the minimum shift requirement (TBD) will receive ... One ticket voucher redeemable for two single session tickets to any session at the 2022 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships ..."
(Thanks to you, I now know that the minimum requirement is three shifts.)

[Once in a while when a special voucher offer is announced as an incentive to fill shifts that have remained empty for some reason (less popular time/venue/role), it has worked out for me to earn an additional voucher that way.
But it depends a lot on what already is on my plate, and especially on how I feel about the particulars of the unclaimed shifts.]

I am very glad to hear that 100% masking 😷 of volunteers will be non-negotiable and top priority.

Thanks again for all your information, macy.
huh, i never got that email in september. who sent it out?

sounds like detroit was a bit more lax about the number of shifts required, but i do appreciate that nashville seems *much* more organized. from what i remember there were no requests taken on sizing for uniforms and definitely no webinars before the event.

there was hardly any information given on where to go after i checked in at the arena, so i had to wander around the rink trying to find someone to help me, and most people i asked for direction had no idea. i was almost late for my shift even though i arrived with well enough time beforehand. not to mention there was only one volunteer jacket left when i checked in and it was 4 sizes too big, and i had to wear it on live tv.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
huh, i never got that email in september. who sent it out?

sounds like detroit was a bit more lax about the number of shifts required, but i do appreciate that nashville seems *much* more organized. from what i remember there were no requests taken on sizing for uniforms and definitely no webinars before the event.

there was hardly any information given on where to go after i checked in at the arena, so i had to wander around the rink trying to find someone to help me, and most people i asked for direction had no idea. i was almost late for my shift even though i arrived with well enough time beforehand. not to mention there was only one volunteer jacket left when i checked in and it was 4 sizes too big, and i had to wear it on live tv.

First, two quick questions for you, macy:
- Did the webinar happen to provide a specific time for when shift requests will start on Mon Nov 29?​
- And did you receive an e-mail yet with a link to the archived webinar? Usually I "attend" live, but USFS normally follows up with a link to the archived version, which this time I really need to watch. :pray:
Thank you for all your help.

The Sep 25 e-mail was from "Michelle Thornbury, President, SHSC" (Scott Hamilton Skating Club).
Subject line: "Volunteer for US Figure Skating Championships!"
I do not belong to Scott Hamilton Skating Club -- so at the time, I was guessing that all former USFS volunteers received the e-mail? But maybe not? :unsure:

Glad to hear that Nashville sounds well-organized. :)
But I will add ...
- I looked back at old e-mails again, and USFS did hold a webinar for Detroit on Jan 8. (On a different platform from Zoom.)​
- It is current USFS procedure to request size information in advance for uniform apparel. This procedure already was in effect at least by 2020 Greensboro Nats. (Going further back to Detroit, I too initially received XXXL, which I had to wear for shifts early in the week. Luckily, I eventually was able to exchange for a smaller size for shifts later in the week, after supplies were replenished.)​

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
- Did the webinar happen to provide a specific time for when shift requests will start on Mon Nov 29?​
- And did you receive an e-mail yet with a link to the archived webinar? Usually I "attend" live, but USFS normally follows up with a link to the archived version, which this time I really need to watch. :pray:

The Sep 25 e-mail was from "Michelle Thornbury, President, SHSC" (Scott Hamilton Skating Club).
I do not belong to Scott Hamilton Skating Club -- so at the time, I was guessing that all former USFS volunteers received the e-mail? But maybe not? :unsure:

But I will add ...
- I looked back at old e-mails again, and USFS did hold a webinar for Detroit on Jan 8. (On a different platform from Zoom.)​
- It is current USFS procedure to request size information in advance for uniform apparel. This procedure already was in effect at least by 2020 Greensboro Nats. (Going further back to Detroit, I too initially received XXXL, which I had to wear for shifts early in the week. Luckily, I eventually was able to exchange for a smaller size for shifts later in the week, after supplies were replenished.)​
that would have been sent before i even signed up to begin with, that was the 30th. had you already signed up before the 25th?

they said 12 am monday morning, but not sure if that would be CST. the webinar will be emailed on monday too.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure if this was posted earlier but the Bridgestone Arena has removed its vaccine/negative test requirement, unless noted. I do wonder if cases go up in January, will they reinstate it? I have not seen anything on the USFS page about whether they are using any mandates.

Effective Nov. 13, 2021, guests will no longer be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to attend Nashville Predators games. The change in protocol will also apply to events held at the venue unless a specific tour or event has its own protocols that differ from the protocols announced Nov. 3, 2021. This change comes after significant improvements in Nashville / Davidson County in the metrics that are used by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to measure transmission rates.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

But I will add ...
Wow, I can’t ever get XXXL. I end up with something tiny I can’t wear at all. I’m saving all my unworn Senior Olympics shirts to be made into a quilt.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
that would have been sent before i even signed up to begin with, that was the 30th. had you already signed up before the 25th?

they said 12 am monday morning, but not sure if that would be CST. the webinar will be emailed on monday too.

Thank you again for all of your helpful replies, macy. :bow:

FWIW:
AFAIK/IIRC, I had signed up for nothing before the Sep 25 e-mail (ostensibly from Scott Hamilton Skating Club), which was the first and only notice that I ever received from anyone that registration for 2022 Nats volunteers had begun.
Because I never (neither beforehand nor afterward) received a separate e-mail in the name of USFS letting me know that 2022 Nats registration had started, and because I do not belong to SHSC, I originally assumed that the Sep 25 e-mail was sent to all former USFS volunteers.
It was only from chatting with you in this thread over the last few days that I have realized in hindsight that my assumption was wrong. I think it will remain an unsolved mystery as to why I received the e-mail from SHSC. :unsure:
Anyway, I did register soon after the Sep 25 e-mail, and then an e-mail from USFS "Product Support" on Sep 28 notified me that my registration was approved.​

Wow, I can’t ever get XXXL. I end up with something tiny I can’t wear at all. I’m saving all my unworn Senior Olympics shirts to be made into a quilt.

Love the quilt idea. 🪡
Although I'm sorry that it has not been possible for you to wear the shirts.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Do you guys know if Naumov still qualifies for the Nationals if he WD from his assignment?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Do you guys know if Naumov still qualifies for the Nationals if he WD from his assignment?

Naumov has a bye to 2022 Nats because he placed in top five at 2021 Nats.

Regardless of anything that did or did not happen this season.

I really hope that his injury at the time of Rostelecom will not prevent him from competing at Nats. :pray:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Naumov has a bye to 2022 Nats because he placed in top five at 2021 Nats.

Regardless of anything that did or did not happen this season.

I really hope that his injury at the time of Rostelecom will not prevent him from competing at Nats. :pray:
Thank you! Hope he will be well.

Jhar55

Medalist
Moonvine, not sure what your asking about parking. But! If your looking for parking close to arena. The church next door usually has paid parking for events, other than that good luck. Nashville like most big cities took parking lots and built buildings. Now there are some parking garages, and arena has parking garage, not sure if it’s by permit. If your staying at hotel they have parking for fee. Leave car and walk if it’s in walking distance. Hope this helps.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Moonvine, not sure what your asking about parking. But! If your looking for parking close to arena. The church next door usually has paid parking for events, other than that good luck. Nashville like most big cities took parking lots and built buildings. Now there are some parking garages, and arena has parking garage, not sure if it’s by permit. If your staying at hotel they have parking for fee. Leave car and walk if it’s in walking distance. Hope this helps.
I can’t afford those hotels. I am in Motel 6 by the airport and lucky to be able to afford that. This is by far the most expensive Nationals I’ve been to. I’m just going for Gracie.

macy

Record Breaker
Just curious, were masking/immunization status requirements for entry, discussed at the call? I’m on some sort of mailing list for the arena, which recently sent out an announcement that the arena itself will no longer require masks. USFS’ website still says that masks are required for its events, but does not specifically discuss whether that is to govern where the arena itself is no-mask, or what is to happen at Nationals. Thanks!
volunteers got an email this week stating they need to have a negative covid test within 3 days of receiving accreditation regardless of vaccination, but still no information about spectators.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
volunteers got an email this week stating they need to have a negative covid test within 3 days of receiving accreditation regardless of vaccination, but still no information about spectators.
Thank you Macy for keeping us up-to-date. I wish USFS would communicate with those of us spectators who have already bought tickets—but with everything happening so fast, I would guess there is no definitive decision yet.

macy

Record Breaker
Thank you Macy for keeping us up-to-date. I wish USFS would communicate with those of us spectators who have already bought tickets—but with everything happening so fast, I would guess there is no definitive decision yet.
actually after reading the email again, it states everyone (not just volunteers) will be required to wear a mask as it is a USFSA policy.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can’t afford those hotels. I am in Motel 6 by the airport and lucky to be able to afford that. This is by far the most expensive Nationals I’ve been to. I’m just going for Gracie.
Glad you'll be going! We'll have to meet up @ Nationals!