U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread | Page 28 | Golden Skate

U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

R.D.

Record Breaker
IMHO, now's not the time to be worrying about anyone...unless they are in danger of missing out on the season.

chipso1

Rinkside
Though she repeats the F and Lz, her total jump score isn't that much higher than Agnes'. Not taking into account the .10 bonus (because we don't know which jumps are after the 1/2 way points in their programs), Agnes' total jump score is 42.7, while Rachael's is 44.3 (a difference of 1.6). A lot of that could be made up on GOE alone, not to mention the other technical aspects of skating (spins, FW, the ChSp sequence).

bekalc

Record Breaker
Well, I can't find Adelina's program for this competition but I just watched her peformance from 2009 Russian nationals, when I suppose she was only 13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61bvnxF-JuQ

Holy Moly. I've never seen a skater who remind me so much of Sasha Cohen. Gorgeous lines. (complete with a fall in this program but let's hope she won't take after Sasha in that respect :) )

Even looks like she's wearing what Tatiana Tarasova would have put Sasha Cohen in 2003 if Sasha hadn't had much better taste.

She'll be 18 or 19 by the time Sochi rolls around. It'll be interesting to see if she develops into a force.
Well Tarasova is her choreographer.
Adelina is a without a doubt a special talent. She has wonderful posture, line not as good as Sasha's but still amazing. But also incredible basic skating, wonderful knees. Her jumps now have great spring and landings. This little girl has it all. And if thats her Swan Lake program she was 12 there.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Flatt does a more difficult jump layout and gets scored behind some random girl? Love it.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Flatt does a more difficult jump layout and gets scored behind some random girl? Love it.

Not sure what you mean by this -- Zawadzki won the silver medal at Jr. Worlds last year and dominated Jr. Nationals...and how have you not heard of her yet?! :p

She's also coached by Tom Z...except her jumps (esp. her lutz) are bigger than Rachael's, she spins better, is more flexible, and is definitely a much better performer than Flatt. Her speed isn't as good as everything else, but that's about her only noticeable problem.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I've heard of her, I just think it's funny that certain people are all like "OMG Rachel Flatt is this amazing skater and pushing the limits of female technical skating" when she can't even beat someone who is right out of Juniors.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
We have a lot of talented girls coming up. Christina is doing well, but may possibly put on weight in the next couple of years. I'm actually a little uncomfortable at how thin she is. Agnes is putting up big scores despite being unusually tall. Amanda surprised me earlier this year by getting in medal position after the short at 4CC, but was eventually mule-kicked off the podium. I am worried about Rachael. Yes it's early in the season, but it's early for everyone else. Mirai was injured, and we don't know what kind of shape she will be in.

I feel like Orser wouldn't condone having anorexic skaters, it seems like he did a good job at keeping Yuna healthy. Also judging from Christina's jumps, I'd guess she's healthy. It's not like she has really spinny jumps she needs to be stick thin to pull off. And as skinny as she is now, she was even thinner in previous year. And I mean if you look at Mao, Miki, Yuna, etc they are all really thin even as fully grown women, in Asian women it's not that uncommon to stay very thin through your 20s and 30s.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I feel like Orser wouldn't condone having anorexic skaters, it seems like he did a good job at keeping Yuna healthy. Also judging from Christina's jumps, I'd guess she's healthy. It's not like she has really spinny jumps she needs to be stick thin to pull off. And as skinny as she is now, she was even thinner in previous year. And I mean if you look at Mao, Miki, Yuna, etc they are all really thin even as fully grown women, in Asian women it's not that uncommon to stay very thin through your 20s and 30s.

Besides, even outside of Asia lots of people are just naturally thin. In spite of heavy eating I used to be really thin until I became about fourty, LOL.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Well Tarasova is her choreographer.
Adelina is a without a doubt a special talent. She has wonderful posture, line not as good as Sasha's but still amazing. But also incredible basic skating, wonderful knees. Her jumps now have great spring and landings. This little girl has it all. And if thats her Swan Lake program she was 12 there.

Everything's great except her flutz. She had three flutzes in her two programs. Can't believe she didn't get called for any of them. Her other qualities are very fine. Like you have already mentioned, her posture & line are amazing.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Everything's great except her flutz. She had three flutzes in her two programs. Can't believe she didn't get called for any of them. Her other qualities are very fine. Like you have already mentioned, her posture & line are amazing.

Adelina's protocol is quite impressive; 3+3 and 7 triples and all five kinds of triples from a 14 yo!
http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgpaut2010/jgpaut10_JuniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf

CoSprings Invite
Free skate Results:

Zawadzki -- 124.56
Flatt -- 117.21

Zawadzki 2A-3T, 3F, 3Lz-2T, 3Lz, 3Lo, 3S, 3T-2T-2Lo
Flatt 2A-3T, 3Lz-2Lo, 3F, 3Lz, 3F-2T-2Lo, 3Lo, 3S

These two American ladies also have all five kinds of triples, 7 triples. Also impressive.:)
I heard Agnes' 3Lz quality is good and Flatt is reworking her 3F. It will take longer for Rachael to correct her 3F technique.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is a look back at Christina's LP from Natls last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7liNIlGSGts&NR=1

Some feel that she is being over hyped - and although I disagree I see no problem with Scott and Sandra as well as fans being excited by Christina's potential.

I think US Skating, particularly at this time needs young skaters coming up that fans can get excited about. :yes: :)

I enjoyed seeing Adelina's programs and also her "Swan Lake" program from when she was only 12 :eek:

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Here is a look back at Christina's LP from Natls last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7liNIlGSGts&NR=1

Some feel that she is being over hyped - and although I disagree I see no problem with Scott and Sandra as well as fans being excited by Christina's potential.

I think US Skating, particularly at this time needs young skaters coming up that fans can get excited about. :yes: :)

I enjoyed seeing Adelina's programs and also her "Swan Lake" program from when she was only 12 :eek:

Christina is seen as over hyped because she doesn't have particularly the strongest skating skills. They are okay, but Adelina's at 14 are better. A lot of people disagreed with the idea that Christina was so much better than the Chinese girl as well. And while her jumps are nice they aren't huge. While she has a nice soft quality to her skating, that soft quality IS hurt by her extension/posture issues. Yes Yu-na had these issues as well but Yu-na had great power to her skating, huge jumps and a star quality that Christina doesn't have.

We will see.

As for Adelina, I hope she becomes a star, her coach certainly deserves for one of her students to become a top star. Elena Vodorezova (Buinova) was a great singles skater who's career was cut short by arthritis, and she's really developed some really great young talents in the last couple of years. With Georgia's Elene, Denis Ten, and now Adelina.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Christina is seen as over hyped because she doesn't have particularly the strongest skating skills. They are okay, but Adelina's at 14 are better. A lot of people disagreed with the idea that Christina was so much better than the Chinese girl as well. And while her jumps are nice they aren't huge. While she has a nice soft quality to her skating, that soft quality IS hurt by her extension/posture issues. Yes Yu-na had these issues as well but Yu-na had great power to her skating, huge jumps and a star quality that Christina doesn't have.

We will see.

As for Adelina, I hope she becomes a star, her coach certainly deserves for one of her students to become a top star. Elena Vodorezova (Buinova) was a great singles skater who's career was cut short by arthritis, and she's really developed some really great young talents in the last couple of years. With Georgia's Elene, Denis Ten, and now Adelina.

"We will see" :) - but in the meantime I am excited by Christina's progress. Considering that she was not a "wonder girl" at 12 or even 14 she seems like a very bright prospect to me. Didn't we used to read post after post about some of the advantages of training at the Cricket Club? I think that hasn't changed and Christina has a good coach, a good choreographer, a spin coach and a stroking coach. They also have a good off-ice training program which is bound to help her.

I hadn't seen Adelina before but she looks like an amazing prospect. In her case though we definitely have to wait. She looks to be about 4'7 and 65 pounds. Alot can happen to these little prodigies - and we see as many go south as we see mature into solid senior skaters - let alone stars.

But yes, she is amazing and it will be fun watching her developement as we head towards Sochi.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
I think all the hype around Christina is due to the fact that she's Orser's next big prospect and for her resemblance to Yuna. Christina is a very nice skater but that doesn't mean she's will necessarily become the next big thing. For one thing, she isn't developing at the same pace as Yuna did. At Christina's age, Yuna has already won a lot of important medals and at senior level. Yuna isn't a late bloomer; it is only compared to Mao that she seems to develop more gradually. Joannie is what I would consider a late bloomer. It's great that Christina is improving very well but I just feel that by the time she peaks, she will have very tough competition if some of the Russian juniors gets past puberty. Because if Adelina and Liza are already amazing at this age, imagine what they will be like in a few years. :eek:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think all the hype around Christina is due to the fact that she's Orser's next big prospect and for her resemblance to Yuna. Christina is a very nice skater but that doesn't mean she's will necessarily become the next big thing. For one thing, she isn't developing at the same pace as Yuna did. At Christina's age, Yuna has already won a lot of important medals and at senior level. Yuna isn't a late bloomer; it is only compared to Mao that she seems to develop more gradually. Joannie is what I would consider a late bloomer. It's great that Christina is improving very well but I just feel that by the time she peaks, she will have very tough competition if some of the Russian juniors gets past puberty. Because if Adelina and Liza are already amazing at this age, imagine what they will be like in a few years. :eek:

I like late bloomers every bit as much as prodigies - sometimes even more!
Just watch this season as Ashley and Alissa bring new meaning to the term late bloomers :rock: :biggrin:

ETA: As a matter of fact I can already hear Scott saying "you want it for them so badly." :p

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
"We will see" :) - but in the meantime I am excited by Christina's progress. Considering that she was not a "wonder girl" at 12 or even 14 she seems like a very bright prospect to me. Didn't we used to read post after post about some of the advantages of training at the Cricket Club? I think that hasn't changed and Christina has a good coach, a good choreographer, a spin coach and a stroking coach. They also have a good off-ice training program which is bound to help her.

I hadn't seen Adelina before but she looks like an amazing prospect. In her case though we definitely have to wait. She looks to be about 4'7 and 65 pounds. Alot can happen to these little prodigies - and we see as many go south as we see mature into solid senior skaters - let alone stars.

But yes, she is amazing and it will be fun watching her developement as we head towards Sochi.

She's actually 5'1" (155cm) and has grown a lot since last season and her jumps are looking better than before. Yes she is still really thin but the fact that she has grown so much in recent years and is still capable of landing very difficult 3-3s is promising.

janetfan

Match Penalty
She's actually 5'1" (155cm) and has grown a lot since last season and her jumps are looking better than before. Yes she is still really thin but the fact that she has grown so much in recent years and is still capable of landing very difficult 3-3s is promising.

The size estimate was based on viewing the clip from when Adelina was 12. She looked so tiny then.

The new clips from the Austrian GP event are nice to see but somewhat fuzzy. But if you say she is growing alot - then I doubt that she is done at 14. And we know some girls get through this fine and others not as well.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The size estimate was based on viewing the clip from when Adelina was 12. She looked so tiny then.

The new clips from the Austrian GP event are nice to see but somewhat fuzzy. But if you say she is growing alot - then I doubt that she is done at 14. And we know some girls get through this fine and others not as well.

She will most likely grow a fair amount more but she has also grown a lot already and it hasn't hurt her jumping ability yet.

bekalc

Record Breaker

Lots of skaters have spin coaches, footwork coaches, stroking coaches, not just skaters at the Cricket Club. Orser is a great coach but a coach can only go so far. Given the quality of Adelina's spins, footwork, jumps, basic skating, I don't think the kid is at a disadvantage where she's at all. She's amazing in all of those areas. And as for Tarasova, she can run hot and cold in her choregraphy but she has done a good job in the past with some students and I think her style will work better with Adelina than it did with Mao. I'm sure the Russian federation will not be leaving anything to chance anyways.

It is a course a matter of if the Russian prodigies make it to puberty but I think a couple will. Adelina actually has dealt with growth spurts already and adjusted. She's grown a lot since she was 12. She's now 155 cm, so she's had some big growth spurts already.

Last edited: